Cookies are simple text files stored on your web browser to provide a means of distinguishing among users of this site. To better serve you, we occasionally use "cookies" to enhance or customize your visit to this site. Cookies that can be created automatically on the device you use to access this state agency web site do not contain personal information and do not compromise your privacy or security. We may use the cookie feature to store a randomly generated identifying tag on the device you use to access this web site.
The software and hardware you use to access the web site allows you to refuse new cookies or delete existing cookies. Refusing or deleting these cookies will limit your ability to take advantage of some features of this site. For example, you will not be able to apply for Civil Service examinations without enabling cookies. Also, without enabling cookies, when you select your employee group and health benefits plan to view your group-specific health insurance benefits, you will be required to re-select your employee group and plan each time you move into the health benefits section of the web site or re-visit the site from the same device at another time.
To check if your cookies are enabled:
Internet Explorer 7
- Select Internet Options from the Tools menu at the top.
- Select the Privacy tab.
- Make sure the slider is not set to “Block All Cookies”. Set the option to “Medium,” then click Apply and then OK to save the changes.
To allow cookies for certain web sites such as the NYS Online web site, do the following:
- Select Internet Options, from the Tools menu at the top.
- Select the Privacy tab.
- Click on the "Sites" button for web sites.
- Enter "https://www.cs.state.ny.us" into the "Address of website:" field.
- Click on the “Allow” button.
- Click on the OK to close the “Per Site Privacy Options” window.
- Click on the “Advanced” button.
- If “Override automatic cookie handling” is checked, make sure “Accept” is selected for both “First-party cookies” and “Third-party cookies”.
- Click on the OK to close the “Advanced Privacy Options” window.
- Finally click on the OK to close the “Internet Options” window.
Internet Explorer 6
- Select Tools on the browser tool bar
- Select Internet Options on the dropdown menu
- In the Temporary Internet Files box, choose Settings
- Select one of the four setting options for storing pages at the top of the screen. Automatically enables cookies.
- Open the Edit menu and choose Preferences
- Under the Privacy & Security category, click Cookies. (If no subcategories are visible, double-click Privacy & Security to expand the list.)
- Select the option labeled Enable cookies based on privacy settings
- Click View
- In the Privacy Settings dialog box, select the level of privacy you want, or select Custom and specify your own privacy settings.
- Click OK to confirm your settings.
- From the AOL Toolbar, select Settings
- Select Preferences
- Select Internet Properties (WWW)
- Select the Security tab
- Select the Custom Level tab
- Under "Allow Cookies that are stored on your computer" click "Enable"
- Under "Allow per-session cookies (not stored)" click "Enable"
- Select OK, Yes you want to save the settings