New York State Department of Civil Service Announces Examinations Open to All Qualified Individuals
Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor
- Applications Accepted
- Tests To Be Held
|Exam Number||Exam Title||Salary||Salary Grade||Non−Refundable Processing Fee|
|20-881||Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor||$55,126||G-19||$40|
|20-882||Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor (Manual Communications)||$55,126||G-19|
|20-883||Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor (Spanish Language)||$55,126||G-19|
Appointees who work in the five boroughs of New York City or in Nassau, Suffolk, Rockland, or Westchester Counties will receive an additional $3,026 annual downstate adjustment. Appointees who work in Dutchess, Orange, or Putnam Counties will receive an additional $1,513 annual mid-Hudson adjustment.
On or before the date of filing your application, you must have:
- a current Commission on Rehabilitation Counselor Certification (CRCC) certificate (see note #4); OR
- a master's degree in rehabilitation counseling, including a supervised internship (see note #3), from a CORE (Council on Rehabilitation Education) accredited program; OR
- a master's degree in rehabilitation counseling or counseling and notice of eligibility to sit for the Commission on Rehabilitation Counselor Certification (CRCC) certificate examination (see note #5).
- Your degree must have been awarded by a regionally accredited college or university or one recognized by the NYS Education Department as following acceptable educational practices. If your degree was awarded by an educational institution outside the United States and its territories, you must submit a copy of your independent verification of equivalency with your NYS-APP. You can write to the Examination Information Desk of the Department of Civil Service for a list of acceptable companies who provide this service. You must pay the required evaluation fee. If you are applying on the Internet, you must mail the verification of equivalency to the NYS Department of Civil Service, Albany, New York 12239. Attention: S2DAG.
- Important: As the processing fee is non-refundable, verify that you entered the correct examination number and title on your online or paper application prior to submitting. If you apply online, you should immediately review your email confirmation notice to verify that you applied for the correct examination. If you do not receive a confirmation number after submitting your online application, your application was NOT received by the Department of Civil Service.
- You must include total hours of Internship experience on your application.
- You must include your current Commission on Rehabilitation Counselor Certification (CRCC) registration number on your application.
- If you qualify under minimum qualification #3, you must provide evidence of eligibility to sit for the Commission on Rehabilitation Counselor Certification (CRCC) certificate examination. If you are applying on the Internet, you must mail this evidence to the NYS Department of Civil Service, Albany, New York 12239. Attention: S2DAG.
- If you have a lapsed Commission on Rehabilitation Counselor Certification (CRCC) certificate, and you need it to qualify, you must contact the Commission on Rehabilitation Counselor Certification to re-establish CRCC eligibility. CRCC can be reached at www.crccertification.com or at (847) 944-1325.
- Appropriate part-time and volunteer experience, which can be verified, will be accepted on a prorated basis.
- New York State residence is not required.
Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor positions exist in the State Education Department, Office of Children and Family Services, Workers' Compensation Board, State Insurance Fund, Helen Hayes Hospital, St. Lawrence Psychiatric Center, and Manhattan Psychiatric Center. Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor (Manual Communication) positions exist in the State Education Department, Office of Children and Family Services, and Department of Corrections and Community Supervision. Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor (Spanish Language) positions exist in the State Education Department and Office of Children and Family Services.
As a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor, you would be part of a team effort to assist persons with disabilities to attain employment, education, or independent living goals. You would coordinate the resources of the family, community, and specialists; utilize rehabilitation facilities and workshops, schools and universities, employers and employer groups; and, through direct personal counseling, bring the consumer to the best possible rehabilitation outcome.
As a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor (Manual Communication) or (Spanish Language), you would perform the duties described above. If you are considered for appointment to a "Manual Communication" or "Spanish Language" position, you will be required to demonstrate proficiency in the manual sign language or in the Spanish language. Proficiency must be at a level which will permit you to perform the duties of the position satisfactorily.
Subject of Examination
There will be no written test. The application is the test. Your completed application will be the only basis for rating your education and experience. Failure to complete the application correctly may result in disqualification. If disqualified, candidates must wait twelve months to re-apply.
If you meet the Minimum Qualifications, your education and experience will be evaluated against the general background/critical activities of the position. This evaluation will concentrate on professional work experience providing rehabilitation counseling services to a population comprised of individuals with disabilities as follows:
- Rehabilitation services coordination - Using assessment information to coordinate required rehabilitation services to appropriate providers; which includes assessing the client's progress toward rehabilitation goals, determining the financial resources/obligations related to the required services, and providing feedback to all appropriate parties.
- Service planning for individuals with disabilities - Determining specific objectives, goals, and actions designed to meet the client's needs as identified through assessment results, and develop a comprehensive rehabilitation plan.
- Assessment - Collecting in-depth information about a client's situation and functioning; to include information pertaining to vocational, medical, psychological, social, functional, and environmental factors, in order to identify the client's needs.
- Job analysis - Providing information about a job: such as worker's relation to data, people, things; environmental and physical demands of the job; the methodology and techniques used; machines, tools, equipment, and work aids used; and traits required of the worker.
- Job development/placement - Job development: consulting with employers and developing job opportunities. Job placement: assisting persons with disabilities to seek, obtain, and maintain appropriate employment, including training in job-seeking skills; supportive counseling; identifying job leads; negotiating with employers, supervisors and co-workers; and providing post employment and follow-up services.
- Advocacy - Reducing attitudinal and environmental barriers in society and facilitating the full inclusion of individuals with disabilities in the community.
- Case management - Analyzing, planning, supervising, and administering the sequential flow of rehabilitation services as well as coordinating the services of other professionals and resources.
It is essential that you describe your education and experience as completely as possible on the examination application. Ambiguity, vagueness, or omissions will NOT be decided in your favor. Resumes will NOT be accepted in lieu of a completed application. Your application will be graded based on the Subject of Examination.
If you apply using the NYS-APP form and need more space, attach additional 8½" x 11" sheets, following the same format used on the NYS APP application form.
If you apply online and you need more space than provided you may choose not to submit online and complete, instead, a paper application to allow for additional 8½" x 11" sheets following the same format used on the NYS-APP examination application form.
Additional unsolicited information will not be accepted after your original submission.
Final scores will be based on the rating received on the evaluation of education and experience. Candidates will receive a score notice in the mail.
Your final score must be 70 or higher in order to pass. Rank on the eligible list will be determined after adding any wartime veterans' and Civil Service Law Section 85-a credits to your final passing score.
How To Apply
You Can Also
- Download examination application NYS-APP form; or
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to request NYS-APP forms; or
- Obtain an NYS-APP form from a State agency or facility personnel/business office; or
- Request NYS-APP form by calling the Department of Civil Service in Albany at 518-457-2487 [press 2, then press 3] or toll free at 1-877-697-5627 [press 2, then press 3].
The NYS Department of Civil Service reserves the right to reject for lateness or to accept applications filed after the advertised filing period. All statements you make on your application are subject to investigation.
WHERE TO APPLY:
Mail your completed application to:
- Application Processing, New York State Department of Civil Service, Albany, NY 12239
State agencies have an ongoing need for persons qualified for appointment to these positions. Therefore, the Department of Civil Service will accept applications at any time and will rate applications as needed. In general, all applications received up to six weeks before a scheduled test date will be processed for that test date. Applications received afterward will be retained for the next scheduled test date.
RETEST POLICY: Qualified candidates may file as frequently as every twelve months, but a new application is required each time.
New York State is an Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of the State of New York to provide for and promote equal opportunity employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, religion, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, veteran or military service member status, marital status, domestic violence victim status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, or arrest and/or criminal conviction record unless based upon a bona fide occupational qualification or other exception.
Appointment to many positions in State government require candidates to undergo an investigative screening. This may include a thorough character investigation, a Federal Bureau of Investigation Criminal Record History Check, a Child Abuse Registry clearance, or other similar procedures. Candidates may be fingerprinted and may be required to pay any necessary fees for that procedure. Depending on the nature of the job, the criminal convictions discovered, or any falsified or omitted information revealed, the investigative findings may bar appointment or result in removal after appointment.
Eligibility for Employment
You must be legally eligible to work in the United States at the time of appointment and throughout your employment with New York State. If appointed, you must produce documents that establish your identity and eligibility to work in the United States, as required by the federal Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, and the Immigration and Nationality Act.
Reasonable Accommodations in Testing
It is the policy of the Department of Civil Service, in accordance with the New York State Human Rights Law and the Americans with Disabilities Act, to provide qualified persons with disabilities equal employment opportunity and equal opportunity to participate in and receive the benefits, services, programs, and activities of the Department. It is the policy of the Department to provide such persons reasonable accommodations and reasonable modifications as are necessary to provide equal opportunity. Persons with disabilities who require an accommodation to participate in an examination must note this on their application. Further information is available from the Test Administration Unit of the Department of Civil Service. In the Albany area, call 518-457-2487 [press 2, then press 2]. Outside of the Albany area, call toll free at 1-877-697-5627 [press 2, then press 2]. For TDD services, call NY Relay at 711 (requires a fee) or 1-800-662-1220.
New York State Residence Is Not Required For Most Positions
However, you must be eligible for employment in the United States.
Continuous Recruitment/Eligible Lists
Candidates who meet the qualification and pass this examination will have their names placed on the eligible list in the order of final scores, regardless of the date on which they filed or took the test. Generally, the names of qualified candidates will remain on the eligible list for two years. Appeal of ratings will not be allowed as the opportunity for retest exists. The department of Civil Service reserves the right to terminate this special recruitment program.
This announcement is subject to amendment or cancellation without notice. Do not copy it, or post it to any other site, but link to it instead.