New York State Department of Civil Service announces Continuous Recruitment Examination Open to All Qualified Individuals
Bank Examiner Trainee 1
- Applications Accepted
- Tests To Be Held
|Exam Number||Exam Title||Salary Grade||Salary|
|20-598||Bank Examiner Trainee 1||Equated to G-14||$45,573|
* Salaries include a $3,026 annual downstate adjustment and a $1,377 trainee geographic pay differential.
All positions are in New York City.
NO APPLICATION PROCESSING FEE REQUIRED
On or before the date of filing your application, you must have a bachelor's degree or higher in accounting, banking, business, economics, finance, or a closely related field. ATTACH a copy of your college transcripts to the special application, which is included with this examination announcement. DO NOT SEND A RESUME.
- Appropriate part-time and volunteer experience, which can be verified, will be accepted on a prorated basis.
- New York State residence is not required.
- Your degree or college credit must have been awarded by a regionally accredited college or university or one recognized by the NYS Education Department as following acceptable educational practices. If your degree or college credit was awarded by an educational institution outside the United States and its territories, you must provide independent verification of equivalency. You can write to the Examination Information Desk of the Department of Civil Service for a list of acceptable companies who provide this service. You must pay the required evaluation fee.
- Because these positions may require substantial travel, appointees must either possess a valid driver's license to operate a motor vehicle in New York State or otherwise demonstrate their ability to meet the transportation needs of the job in carrying out their responsibilities in any location to which travel is required, including some locations not accessible by public transportation. Field work travel expenses will be reimbursed on a fixed schedule.
- This examination is being conducted by the New York State Department of Financial Services under authority delegated by the Department of Civil Service in compliance with the New York State Civil Service Law and the Rules and Regulations of the New York State Department of Civil Service.
These positions exist at the Department of Financial Services in New York City. Persons hired as Bank Examiner Trainee 1 will participate in a two-year traineeship. Upon satisfactory completion of one year of the traineeship, you will be advanced to the position of Bank Examiner Trainee 2 (currently $48,697; $50,464 as of 4/10). Upon completion of the second year of the traineeship, you will be advanced to the journey level Bank Examiner position (currently $57,654; $59,839 as of 4/10). All salaries include an annual downstate adjustment.
As a Bank Examiner Trainee 1, you would conduct or assist in the conduct of examinations of financial institutions and other regulated businesses. You would begin a two-year training program which will include field assignments supervised by the Department of Financial Services examining staff. Department sponsored training is conducted in house or through specialized schools.
Subject of Examination
There will be no written test. If you meet the Minimum Qualifications your education and experience will be evaluated against the general background/critical activities of the position. This evaluation will concentrate on the following areas of your education and experience:
- Overall grade point average of undergraduate coursework and graduate coursework if applicable
- Grade point average in major field of study
- Other relevant coursework (emphasis on accounting and other business related courses)
- Internship or work experience in a financial field
- Community/campus/professional activities
- Other relevant work experience
It is essential that you describe your education and experience as completely as possible on the NYS-APP-3 # 20598 application form/supplemental questionnaire. Ambiguity, vagueness or omissions will not be decided in your favor. Do NOT send resumes. If you need more space, attach additional 8 1/2" x 11" sheets, following the same format used on the application form. Additional unsolicited information will not be accepted after the last day for filing.
Your final score must be 70 or higher in order to pass. Rank on the eligible list will be determined after adding any wartime veterans' and Civil Service Law Section 85-a credits to your final passing score.
How to Apply
You must use form NYS-APP-3 #20-598 application form/supplemental questionnaire.
- Download the examination application NYS-APP-3 #20-598 form; or
- Email email@example.com to request NYS-APP-3 #20-598 form; or
- Obtain NYS-APP-3 #20-598 form from a State agency or facility personnel/business office; or
- Request NYS-APP-3 #20-598 form by calling the Department of Civil Service in the Albany area at 518-457-2487 [press 2, then press 3]; or toll free at 1-877-697-5627 [press 2, then press 3].
Where to Apply
Mail your completed application, supplemental questionnaire, and transcripts to:
- New York State Department of Financial Services, Human Resources Office, One State Street, New York, NY 10004 1417.
The NYS Department of Financial Services reserves the right to reject for lateness or to accept applications filed after the advertised filing period. All statements you make on your application are subject to investigation.
The NYS Department of Financial Services has an ongoing need for persons qualified for appointment to these positions and will accept applications at any time and will rate applications whenever additional eligibles are needed. It is anticipated that the examinations will be held on a periodic basis throughout the year. For the testing schedule and other information about this examination, write to the NYS Department of Financial Services at One State Street, New York, NY 10004-1417, or call 212-709-5448.
Candidates who meet the qualifications and pass this examination, will have their names placed on the eligible list in the order of final scores, regardless of the date on which they filed for the test. The names of qualified candidates will remain on the eligible list for one year. Appeal of ratings will not be allowed as the opportunity for retest exists.
Qualified candidates may file as frequently as 12 months but a new application is required each time.
New York State is an Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of the State of New York to provide for and promote equal opportunity employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, religion, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, veteran or military service member status, marital status, domestic violence victim status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, or arrest and/or criminal conviction record unless based upon a bona fide occupational qualification or other exception.
Appointment to many positions in State government require candidates to undergo an investigative screening. This may include a thorough character investigation, a Federal Bureau of Investigation Criminal Record History Check, a Child Abuse Registry clearance, or other similar procedures. Candidates may be fingerprinted and may be required to pay any necessary fees for that procedure. Depending on the nature of the job, the criminal convictions discovered, or any falsified or omitted information revealed, the investigative findings may bar appointment or result in removal after appointment.
Eligibility for Employment
You must be legally eligible to work in the United States at the time of appointment and throughout your employment with New York State. If appointed, you must produce documents that establish your identity and eligibility to work in the United States, as required by the federal Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, and the Immigration and Nationality Act.
Reasonable Accommodations in Testing
It is the policy of the Department of Civil Service, in accordance with the New York State Human Rights Law and the Americans with Disabilities Act, to provide qualified persons with disabilities equal employment opportunity and equal opportunity to participate in and receive the benefits, services, programs, and activities of the Department. It is the policy of the Department to provide such persons reasonable accommodations and reasonable modifications as are necessary to provide equal opportunity. Persons with disabilities who require an accommodation to participate in an examination must note this on their application. Further information is available from the Test Administration Unit of the Department of Civil Service. In the Albany area, call 518-457-2487 [press 2, then press 2]. Outside of the Albany area, call toll free at 1-877-697-5627 [press 2, then press 2]. For TDD services, call NY Relay at 711 (requires a fee) or 1-800-662-1220.
New York State Residence Is Not Required For Most Positions
However, you must be eligible for employment in the United States.
Continuous Recruitment/Eligible Lists
Candidates who meet the qualification and pass this examination will have their names placed on the eligible list in the order of final scores, regardless of the date on which they filed or took the test. Generally, the names of qualified candidates will remain on the eligible list for one year. Appeal of ratings will not be allowed as the opportunity for retest exists. The Department of Civil Service reserves the right to terminate this special recruitment program.
This announcement is subject to amendment or cancellation without notice. Do not copy it, or post it to any other site, but link to it instead.