New York State Department of Civil Service Announces Examinations Open to All Qualified Individuals
Plant Utilities Engineer 1
- Applications Accepted
- Tests To Be Held
|Exam Number||Exam Title||Open to Employees of||Salary||Salary Grade||Non−Refundable Processing Fee|
|10-014||Plant Utilities Engineer 1||Multiple Agencies||$43,270||14||$0|
|Scheduled Test Dates||Application Deadlines|
|October 20, 2012||September 4, 2012|
|May 11, 2013||March 25, 2013|
For Promotion in State Departments, Facilities, and Agencies
- Within Promotion Units
- Within Entire Departments
- To Other Departments
Minimum Qualifications to Participate in this Examination
On or before the date of filing your application, you must be a qualified employee of New York State and have had two years of permanent competitive, non-competitive, or labor service as a Plant Utilities Assistant.
NOTE: An open-competitive examination is being held at the same time as this transition examination. Agencies have the option of making appointments from either list. If you meet the requirements for the open competitive as well as the transition examination, you may wish to apply for both.
Subject of Examination
There will be a written test which you must pass in order to be considered for appointment. The written test is designed to test for knowledge, skills and/or abilities in such areas as:
- Energy management and conservation, environmental and safety concerns – These questions test for knowledge of the principles and practices involved in conducting building and facility energy management programs, including the application of appropriate energy efficiency and conservation methods, environmental controls, and safe operating practices.
- Heating, ventilating, air-conditioning, refrigeration, plumbing, water supply, and sanitary systems – These questions test for knowledge of the operating principles and practices involved in various types of heating, ventilating, air conditioning, refrigeration, plumbing, water supply, and sanitary systems, including related electrical, electronic, and mechanical trades and machine shop practices.
- Operation, maintenance, and repair of steam and high temperature hot water generating and distribution systems – These questions test for knowledge of the principles and practices involved in the operation, maintenance, and repair of steam and high temperature hot water generating and distribution systems, prime movers, and high voltage electrical equipment, including related mechanical and electrical power plant equipment.
- Supervision – These questions test for knowledge of the principles and practices employed in planning, organizing, and controlling the activities of a work unit toward predetermined objectives. The concepts covered, usually in a situational question format, include such topics as assigning and reviewing work; evaluating performance; maintaining work standards; motivating and developing subordinates; implementing procedural change; increasing efficiency; and dealing with problems of absenteeism, morale, and discipline.
If you pass, your seniority credit(s), if any, will be included in the computation of your final score. Rank on the eligible list will be determined after adding any wartime veterans’ credits to your final passing score.
Credit for Seniority
Seniority is credited at the rate of one credit for each five-year period (or fraction thereof) excluding the first year of service.
As a Plant Utilities Engineer 1 on an assigned shift, you would operate, maintain, troubleshoot, repair, test, and calibrate mechanical and electrical equipment providing heat, hot water, ventilation, air conditioning, and electrical distribution in a safe and efficient manner. You would make recommendations on major overhauls and replacement of equipment and identify, recommend, and develop energy conservation projects. You may supervise subordinate staff in the operation and maintenance of heating facilities and mechanical equipment. You may also supervise contractors in an emergency or project situation and you may be required to assume responsibility for operations of the overall physical plant.
How To Apply
You Can Also
- Download examination application NYS-APP form; or
- Email email@example.com to request NYS-APP forms; or
- Obtain an NYS-APP form from a State agency or facility personnel/business office; or
- Request NYS-APP form by calling the Department of Civil Service in Albany at 518-457-2487 [press 2, then press 3] or toll free at 1-877-697-5627 [press 2, then press 3].
The NYS Department of Civil Service reserves the right to reject for lateness or to accept applications filed after the advertised filing period. All statements you make on your application are subject to investigation.
WHERE TO APPLY
- Use NYS-APP() and mail it directly to Application Processing, New York State Department of Civil Service, Alfred E. Smith State Office Building, Albany, NY 12239.
DO NOT USE INTER-AGENCY MAIL. The NYS Department of Civil Service reserves the right to reject for lateness or to accept applications filed after the advertised filing period. All statements you make on your application are subject to investigation.
State agencies have an ongoing need for persons qualified for appointment to these positions. Therefore, the Department of Civil Service will accept applications at any time and will schedule the written test whenever additional eligibles are needed. In general, all applications received up to six weeks before a scheduled test date will be processed for that test date. Applications received afterward will be retained for the next scheduled test date.
Candidates who meet the qualifications and pass this examination, will have their names placed on the eligible list in the order of final scores, regardless of the date on which they filed or took the test. The names of qualified candidates will remain on the eligible list for two years.
Qualified candidates may file as frequently as desired, but a new application is required each time. Appeal of ratings will not be allowed as the opportunity for retest exists.
New York State is an Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of the State of New York to provide for and promote equal opportunity employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, religion, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, veteran or military service member status, marital status, domestic violence victim status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, or arrest and/or criminal conviction record unless based upon a bona fide occupational qualification or other exception.
Most written tests are held on Saturdays. If you cannot take the test on the announced test date, due to a conflict with a religious observance or practice, check the box under “Religious Accommodation.” We will make arrangements for you to take the test on a different date (usually the following day).
Reasonable Accommodations in Testing
It is the policy of the Department of Civil Service, in accordance with the New York State Human Rights Law and the Americans with Disabilities Act, to provide qualified persons with disabilities equal employment opportunity and equal opportunity to participate in and receive the benefits, services, programs, and activities of the Department. It is the policy of the Department to provide such persons reasonable accommodations and reasonable modifications as are necessary to provide equal opportunity. Persons with disabilities who require an accommodation to participate in an examination must note this on their application. Further information is available from the Test Administration Unit of the Department of Civil Service. In the Albany area, call 518-457-2487 [press 2, then press 2]. Outside of the Albany area, call toll free at 1-877-697-5627 [press 2, then press 2]. For TDD services, call NY Relay at 711 (requires a fee) or 1-800-662-1220.
New York State Residence Is Not Required For Most Positions
However, you must be eligible for employment in the United States.
Admission to Examination
Notice to appear for the test may be conditional as review of applications may not be made until after the test. If you have not received your notice to appear for the written test three days before the date of the test, call 518-474-6470 in the Albany area or toll free at 1-877-697-5627 [press 2, then press 1].
Multiple Examinations Scheduled for the Same Day
If you have applied to take a written test announced by either one or several local jurisdictions (county, town, city) scheduled to be held on the same test date as this written test, you must notify each of the local jurisdictions no later than two weeks before the test date to make arrangements for taking all tests at one test site. All tests will be held at the state examination center. For your convenience, contact information for all local civil service agencies is available on our website at: http://www.cs.ny.gov/jobseeker/local.cfm
Eligibility for Examination
To be eligible to compete in this examination, you must be employed in the specified department or agency on a permanent or contingent permanent basis in the competitive class, or in the non-competitive class or labor class if specifically noted on this announcement (or be on an appropriate preferred list), and have the specified time in the specified title or salary grade. You may not compete in a test for a title if you are permanently employed in that title (unless you are still on probation) or in a higher direct line of promotion.
Cell Phones or Electronic/Communication Devices at the Test Site
Do not bring cell phones, beepers, headphones, or any electronic or other communication devices to the test site. The use of such devices at the test site in the test room, hallways, restrooms, building, grounds, or other areas could result in your disqualification.
Continuous Recruitment/Eligible Lists
Candidates who meet the qualification and pass this examination will have their names placed on the eligible list in the order of final scores, regardless of the date on which they filed or took the test. Generally, the names of qualified candidates will remain on the eligible list for two years. Appeal of ratings will not be allowed as the opportunity for retest exists. The department of Civil Service reserves the right to terminate this special recruitment program.
This announcement is subject to amendment or cancellation without notice. Do not copy it, or post it to any other site, but link to it instead.