New York State Department of Civil Service Announces Examinations Open to All Qualified Individuals
Motor Equipment Mechanic
- Applications Accepted
- Tests To Be Held
|Exam Number||Exam Title||Open to Employees of||Salary||Salary Grade||Non−Refundable Processing Fee|
|10-017||Motor Equipment Mechanic||Multiple Agencies||*||G-12||$10|
|Salary Grade||Beginning Salary||Job Rate|
|Thruway Authority - Equated to G-12||$32,822||$47,050|
|Canal Corporation - Equated to G-12||$32,365||$46,384|
For Promotion in State Departments, Facilities, and Agencies
- Within Promotion Units
- Within Entire Departments
- To Other Departments
On or before the date of filing your application, you must be a qualified employee of New York State and have had three months of permanent non competitive service as a Maintenance Assistant (Mechanic).
- At the time of appointment you must furnish a basic tool set.
- All agencies require certification by the Department of Motor Vehicles to conduct NYS inspections.
- Some agencies require that within three months of appointment you must obtain an appropriate commercial driver's license or any additional driving endorsement determined by the agency.
Qualifying Experience for Appointment from the Eligible List
After one year of the service described in the Minimum Qualifications, successful candidates will be qualified for appointment from the eligible list.
Subject of Examination
There will be no written test. If you meet the Minimum Qualifications your education and experience will be evaluated against the general background/critical activities of the position. This evaluation will concentrate on the appropriateness, amount and breadth of relevant education and experience. It is essential that you describe your education and experience as completely as possible when you apply. Ambiguity, vagueness or omissions will not be decided in your favor. If you need more space, attach additional 8 1/2" x 11" sheets, following the same format used on the application form. In addition, all approved applicants will be sent a supplemental questionnaire that will be used to rate your education and experience in the automotive, heavy truck and/or heavy equipment repair vocation.
If you pass, your seniority credit(s), if any, will be included in the computation of your final score. Rank on the eligible list will be determined after adding any wartime veterans' credits to your final passing score.
Credit for Seniority
Seniority will be given due weight in the evaluation of education and experience.
As a Motor Equipment Mechanic, you would diagnose and correct the causes of faulty vehicle and equipment operation. You would overhaul, adjust and repair gaseous fuel engines, clutches, transmissions, and differentials; ignition, wiring, lighting, fuel, cooling, braking, and complex hydraulic systems; steering, wheel, and suspension mechanisms; and body, cab, and frame components. You would also conduct NYS inspections. You may be assigned to overhaul and rebuild starters, generators, compressors, pumps (fuel, water, air, and hydraulic), spreaders, small engines, mowers, and a variety of other equipment, including but not limited to, track vehicles, loaders (front-end and belt), cranes, shovels, lifts, hydraulic excavators, etc. You may diagnose and repair electronic engine control systems, anti-lock brake systems, and air conditioning. You may also be required to do cutting and welding. In small shops you may supervise Maintenance Assistants, Maintenance Helpers, and others. You might also be required to make road calls, test drive equipment, complete reports, use parts catalogs, and perform other related duties.
- In accordance with Section 52.11 of the Civil Service Law, individuals serving permanently in the non competitive or labor class in a qualifying title (including those serving under Section 55-b/55-c) who otherwise meet the requirements for taking this examination are eligible to compete in this transition examination.
- This examination is being held on a transition and open-competitive basis. If you are admitted to the transition examination under anticipated eligibility (i.e., you do not have the required one year of Qualifying Experience For Appointment From The Eligible List) and if you meet the open-competitive minimum qualifications, you may also be admitted to the open-competitive examination. To be admitted, you must apply for the open-competitive examination according to the instructions given on the open-competitive announcement. Once you meet the required one year of qualifying service for appointment from the transition list, you will not be eligible for appointment from the open competitive eligible list.
- Physical/Medical Requirements: Your physical and medical condition will be evaluated to ensure that you are able to satisfactorily perform the duties of this position with or without reasonable accommodation. To obtain a complete statement of the physical and medical standards write to the Medical Review Unit, NYS Department of Civil Service, 55 Mohawk Street, Suite 201, Cohoes, NY 12047. A medical examination will be required prior to appointment, and you are responsible for payment of the clinical laboratory test fee. Appointees to this position may be required to undergo periodic medical examinations to reassess their ability to perform the essential duties of the position.
- Substance Abuse Testing: You will be required to participate in substance abuse testing. Evidence of substance abuse may lead to your disqualification from appointment or termination from permanent employment in the position. You will be advised of these requirements at the time of your employment interview.
How To Apply
You Can Also
- Download examination application NYS-APP form; or
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to request NYS-APP forms; or
- Obtain an NYS-APP form from a State agency or facility personnel/business office; or
- Request NYS-APP form by calling the Department of Civil Service in Albany at 518-457-2487 [press 2, then press 3] or toll free at 1-877-697-5627 [press 2, then press 3].
The NYS Department of Civil Service reserves the right to reject for lateness or to accept applications filed after the advertised filing period. All statements you make on your application are subject to investigation.
DO NOT USE INTER-AGENCY MAIL. The NYS Department of Civil Service reserves the right to reject for lateness or to accept applications filed after the advertised filing period. All statements you make on your application are subject to investigation.
State agencies have an ongoing need for persons qualified for appointment to these positions. Therefore, the Department of Civil Service will accept applications at any time and will rate applications quarterly.
Qualified candidates may file as frequently as every twelve months, but a new application is required each time.
New York State is an Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of the State of New York to provide for and promote equal opportunity employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, religion, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, veteran or military service member status, marital status, domestic violence victim status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, or arrest and/or criminal conviction record unless based upon a bona fide occupational qualification or other exception.
Reasonable Accommodations in Testing
It is the policy of the Department of Civil Service, in accordance with the New York State Human Rights Law and the Americans with Disabilities Act, to provide qualified persons with disabilities equal employment opportunity and equal opportunity to participate in and receive the benefits, services, programs, and activities of the Department. It is the policy of the Department to provide such persons reasonable accommodations and reasonable modifications as are necessary to provide equal opportunity. Persons with disabilities who require an accommodation to participate in an examination must note this on their application. Further information is available from the Test Administration Unit of the Department of Civil Service. In the Albany area, call 518-457-2487 [press 2, then press 2]. Outside of the Albany area, call toll free at 1-877-697-5627 [press 2, then press 2]. For TDD services, call NY Relay at 711 (requires a fee) or 1-800-662-1220.
New York State Residence Is Not Required For Most Positions
However, you must be eligible for employment in the United States.
Eligibility for Examination
To be eligible to compete in this examination, you must be employed in the specified department or agency on a permanent or contingent permanent basis in the competitive class, or in the non-competitive class or labor class if specifically noted on this announcement (or be on an appropriate preferred list), and have the specified time in the specified title or salary grade. You may not compete in a test for a title if you are permanently employed in that title (unless you are still on probation) or in a higher direct line of promotion.
Continuous Recruitment/Eligible Lists
Candidates who meet the qualification and pass this examination will have their names placed on the eligible list in the order of final scores, regardless of the date on which they filed or took the test. Generally, the names of qualified candidates will remain on the eligible list for two years. Appeal of ratings will not be allowed as the opportunity for retest exists. The department of Civil Service reserves the right to terminate this special recruitment program.
This announcement is subject to amendment or cancellation without notice. Do not copy it, or post it to any other site, but link to it instead.