Nursing Titles and Specialty Areas
Using the contact information found on the examination announcements (links below), please contact agencies/facilities directly regarding examinations and vacancies.
This page contains links to examination announcements in the nursing field. Each announcement describes the position and the minimum qualifications required. The descriptions listed below are for information purposes only.
For more detailed information on the positions listed below, please see the Glossary of Titles-Inquiry Tool . The "Title Search" option offers individuals the ability to research specific title information. By entering the title name (i.e. Community Mental Health Nurse), you will be provided with the title's salary grade, location of the position (by county), job description and qualifications, examination information and related career mobility options.
The vast majority of New York State government Civil Service positions are filled via competitive examinations amongst individuals sharing similar personal education and/or work backgrounds. Our RN and LPN titles are no different.
While there are no written tests to take for RN and LPN positions, you must meet the announced minimum qualifications for each title and submit an examination application (Form NYS-APP) in order to be considered further.
New York State employs nurses in a wide range of specialty areas including: Addictions, Psychiatrics, Geriatrics, Pediatrics, Adolescent Health, Medical/Surgical, Rehabilitation, Community Health, Infection Control, Public Health, Preventative Health (Health and Wellness), Epidemiology, Medicaid Audit, Health Care Surveyor, Quality Assurance, Utilization Review, Occupational/Employee Health, and Teaching and Research.
Applications for these titles are accepted on a continuous basis.
- Community Mental Health Nurse
- Work within the framework of a treatment team providing nursing services to individuals diagnosed with mental illness, alcoholism or substance abuse, mental retardation or developmental disabilities and their caretakers/families
- Health Care Surveyor 2 (Nursing)
- Responsible for the surveillance and regulation of health care providers to ensure that care provided meets standards of practice and complies with State and Federal statutes and regulations.
- Health Services Nurse
- Employ a holistic approach to providing occupational health services while working independently without direct supervision.
- Licensed Practical Nurse
- Under the supervision of a Registered Nurse, you would be involved in the treatment of patients/residents
- Medical Care Representative
- Perform initial health care and vocational assessments, projecting long and short term goals; make recommendations for continuing care and/or suggest alternative treatment plans; and coordinate and monitor all health care and vocational services
- Medical Office Assistant
- Perform clinical, laboratory and clerical support activities
- Nurse 1, 2, and 3 (psychiatric) all require license and registration to practice nursing in New York State (some positions require post-RN licensure clinical nursing experience, or specialized nursing experience, or a bachelor's degree in nursing, or certification in a specialized area)
- Nurse Practitioner
- Provide primary health care working in collaboration with a licensed physician or physicians
- Teaching & Research Center Nurse
- Provide nursing care to patients in an acute care environment requiring complex nursing skills using advanced knowledge and skill in assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation of nursing care
- Teaching & Research Center Specialty Nurse
- Perform nursing tasks consistent with the prescribed nursing regimen and supportive of the medical regimen, including: directing and coordinating nursing care activities with other health disciplines involved, participating in staff planning for treatment of individual patients, reviewing and evaluating the quality of nursing services provided to patients and implementing required changes, and serving on selected committees
Other Nursing Titles
There are other nursing titles that exist within state agencies. These titles are filled by competitive examination and are held on a periodic basis. Please register your email address at http://www.cs.ny.gov/announ/emaillist.cfm to receive information on future nursing exams.