The Department of Civil Service is the central personnel agency for New York State. Our goal is to promote a partnership with our customers that encompasses best practice personnel systems by providing innovative, cost-effective and efficient solutions to ensure hiring and promotion based on fitness, merit and equality of opportunity. In pursuit of this goal, we...
- Partner with State agencies and the NYS Personnel Council to offer personnel recruitment and placement services, including developing minimum job qualifications, classifying positions, salary level determinations, developing examinations and administering performance assessment tests;
- Ensure the State's policy of full and equal opportunity for minorities, women, disabled persons and Vietnam era veterans at all occupational levels of State government in collaboration with the NYS Affirmative Action Advisory Council;
- Administer the Governor's programs to hire persons/veterans with disabilities to place individuals with disabilities in State jobs;
- Assist Local Government by providing technical consultation to over 100 State municipal civil service agencies covering over 387,000 local government employees;
- Provide Health Insurance and other employee benefits to 1.1 million enrollees and their families;
- Promote customer service through E-Government solutions; and
- Deliver timely and accurate access to workforce management and merit system administration information.
There has never been a more critical time to have a strong, viable, customer-driven central Human Resource organization in New York State government. It is essential that the Department's activities and services are responsive and consistent with the needs of its customers and the overall policy and operational goals of the State administration. The Department is committed to working with its partners to optimize its services in furtherance of a viable 21st century State and local government workforce. Strategic Directions has set goals and recommendations to successfully negotiate the challenging business environment of the 21st century. Take a look at some of the most recent initiatives.