Interdepartmental transition examination open to all qualified employees of New York State.
Program Research Specialist Trainee 1
- Written Test To Be Held
- May 14, 2016
- Applications Must Be Submitted By
- March 30, 2016
|Exam Number||Exam Title||Open to Employees of||Salary||Salary Grade||Non−Refundable Processing Fee|
|00-338||Program Research Specialist Trainee 1||Multiple Agencies||$39,713||Equated to G-13||$15|
For Advancement in State Departments, Facilities, and Agencies
- Within Promotion Units
- Within Entire Departments
- To Other Departments
This TRANSITION EXAMINATION is one of several concepts included in a Memorandum of Intent agreed to by New York State and CSEA, and is designed to provide opportunities for employees within state service.
An open-competitive examination is being held at the same time as this transition examination. Agencies have the option of making appointments from either list. If you meet the requirements for the open-competitive as well as the transition examination, you may wish to apply for both. The appropriate processing fee must be filed for each examination.
The eligible list resulting from this transition examination will be used to fill two-year traineeships leading to Program Research Specialist 2 and Program Research Specialist 2 (Various Parenthetics), G-18; including: Human Services, Agricultural, Public Health, Criminal Justice, Transportation, and Economics Finance.
Upon satisfactory completion of the 24-month training as a Program Research Specialist Trainee, you will be advanced to the full title of Program Research Specialist 2, without further examination, at a salary of $52,293.
An appointee's performance in the trainee position and in prescribed training and development programs will be observed and evaluated. The prescribed training and development program will include extensive on-the-job training and carefully designed and monitored work experience. An appointee not meeting required standards can be terminated at any time after the initial eight weeks and before completion of the traineeship. An appointee will be placed on leave from their permanent title and will revert to that title if they do not successfully complete the traineeship.
You must show how you meet the supplemental coursework requirements for this examination. Include the name of the college or university, course title, date received, and number of semester credits received per course in the ���coursework��� section of the online application.
On or before May 14, 2016, you must be a qualified employee of New York State and have had two years of permanent competitive or 55-b/55-c service in a position allocated to Grade 7 or higher AND you must also possess 9 credit hours of statistics, economics, econometrics, research methodology, data analysis, or data modeling.
If you were permanently appointed to a qualifying title on or before June 14, 2014, and have served continuously in this title since that date, you are eligible to file for this examination.
Order of Certification
The order of certification of this eligible list will be:
- Promotion Unit "A" eligibles
- Promotion Unit "All" eligibles
- Department "A" eligibles
- Department "All" eligibles
- Interdepartmental "A" eligibles
- Interdepartmental "All" eligibles
- Important: As the processing fee is non-refundable, verify that you entered the correct examination number and title on your online application prior to submitting. You should immediately review your email confirmation notice to verify that you applied for the correct examination. If you do not receive a confirmation number after submitting your online application, your application was NOT received by the Department of Civil Service. No late applications will be accepted after the filing deadline has passed.
- Background Investigation/Justice Center Review: The names of all prospective employees will be:
- Checked against the Staff Exclusion List (SEL) maintained by the Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs. Prospective employees whose names appear on the SEL as having been found responsible for serious or repeated acts of abuse or neglect will be barred from appointment and may have their names removed from the eligible list(s) for the title(s);
- Investigated through a Criminal Background Check (CBC). All convictions must be reported. Conviction of a felony or misdemeanor or any falsified or omitted information may bar appointment or result in removal after appointment. Each case will be determined on its own merits, consistent with the applicable provisions of state and federal laws;
- Screened against the Statewide Central Register of Child Abuse and Maltreatment (SCR). Prospective employees whose names appear on the SCR may be barred from appointment. (NY Social Services Law, Section 424a.)
- Medicaid and Medicare: In order to be eligible for appointment and to maintain employment, you cannot be listed as an excluded individual or entity on any of the Federal and/or State Medicaid and Medicare exclusion lists (or excluded from any other Federal or Federally assisted program). If you are appointed and subsequently listed as an excluded individual or entity on any of these lists (or excluded from any other Federal or Federally assisted program), you may be terminated from your employment.
Subject of Examination
There will be a written test which you must pass in order to be considered for appointment. The written test is designed to test for knowledge, skills, and/or abilities in such areas as:
- Evaluating conclusions in light of known facts - These questions will consist of a set of facts and a conclusion. You must decide if the conclusion is proved by the facts, disproved by the facts or if the facts are not sufficient to prove or disprove the conclusion. The questions will not be specific to a particular field.
- Preparing written material - These questions test for the ability to present information clearly and accurately, and to organize paragraphs logically and comprehensibly. For some questions, you will be given information in two or three sentences followed by four restatements of the information. You must then choose the best version. For other questions, you will be given paragraphs with their sentences out of order. You must then choose, from four suggestions, the best order for the sentences.
- Understanding and interpreting tabular material - These questions test your ability to understand, analyze, and use the internal logic of data presented in tabular form. You may be asked to perform tasks such as completing tables, drawing conclusions from them, analyzing data trends or interrelationships, and revising or combining data sets. The concepts of rate, ratio, and proportion are tested. Mathematical operations are simple, and computational speed is not a major factor in the test. You should bring with you a hand-held battery- or solar-powered calculator for use on this test. You will not be permitted to use the calculator function of your cell phone.
- Understanding and interpreting written material - These questions test how well you comprehend written material. You will be provided with brief reading selections and will be asked questions about the selections. All the information required to answer the questions will be presented in the selections; you will not be required to have any special knowledge relating to the subject areas of the selections.
If you pass, your seniority credit(s), if any, will be included in the computation of your final score. Rank on the eligible list will be determined after adding any wartime veterans' credits to your final passing score.
SELECTIVE CERTIFICATION: Approved applicants will have an opportunity to complete an online education and experience questionnaire that will be used for all titles on this announcement. Information provided on the questionnaire is subject to verification and may be used to qualify candidates for positions requiring specific education and experience beyond the minimum qualifications. Approved applicants will receive, via email, information about the process of completing the online questionnaire and when it will be available. It is very important that you provide an up-to-date email address on your application as you will receive important communication via email. All approved candidates are encouraged to complete the questionnaire to maximize opportunities for appointment; only candidates who complete the questionnaire and receive a passing score on the written examination will be considered for positions being filled through the use of selective certification This questionnaire will NOT be scored and must be completed within the required time period specified in the email. Your final score for the Program Research Specialist examinations is based only on the written test. Names of candidates who pass the examination, but do not complete this questionnaire, will appear on the general eligible list only.
CERTIFICATION OF ELIGIBLE LISTS: When filling vacancies, agencies will have two options. One option is to request a general certification of the eligible list which will include all candidates, by score, in the order of certification: (1) within promotion units, (2) within entire Departments, or (3) to other Departments. Or, if it is determined that specific education and experience, beyond the minimum qualifications, are required for a position, agencies have the option to request a selective certification of the eligible list (see above). The selective certification will filter the results of the written test based on the responses to the online questionnaire. The selective certification will contain only the names of candidates who meet the specialized requirements, ranked by score, in the same order of certification described above. Final scores are based on the results of the written test only.
Credit for Seniority
Seniority is credited at the rate of one credit for each five-year period (or fraction thereof), excluding the first year of service.
As a Program Research Specialist Trainee 1, you would, under direct supervision, participate in research studies, assist in developing studies related to your agency���s programs, and use your knowledge of current research methodology to evaluate and analyze agency programs and present your findings to operations and management officials.
Important: The Department of Civil Service and other state agencies may communicate with you through email correspondence. This may include the notification of your examination results and canvassing you for interest in appointment. It will be important for you to keep your email address, phone number and mailing address current by logging into https://www.cs.ny.gov/home/myaccount.
How To Apply
If you do not receive a confirmation number after submitting your online application, your application was NOT processed.
New York State is an Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of the State of New York to provide for and promote equal opportunity employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, religion, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, veteran or military service member status, marital status, domestic violence victim status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, or arrest and/or criminal conviction record unless based upon a bona fide occupational qualification or other exception.
Most written tests are held on Saturdays. If you cannot take the test on the announced test date, due to a conflict with a religious observance or practice, check the box under “Religious Accommodation.” We will make arrangements for you to take the test on a different date (usually the following day).
Reasonable Accommodations in Testing
It is the policy of the Department of Civil Service, in accordance with the New York State Human Rights Law and the Americans with Disabilities Act, to provide qualified persons with disabilities equal employment opportunity and equal opportunity to participate in and receive the benefits, services, programs, and activities of the Department. It is the policy of the Department to provide such persons reasonable accommodations and reasonable modifications as are necessary to provide equal opportunity. Persons with disabilities who require an accommodation to participate in an examination must note this on their application. Further information is available from the Test Administration Unit of the Department of Civil Service. In the Albany area, call 518-457-2487. Outside of the Albany area, call toll free at 1-877-697-5627. For TDD services, call NY Relay at 711 (requires a fee) or 1-800-662-1220.
Admission to Examination
Notice to appear for the test may be conditional as review of applications may not be made until after the test. If you have not received your notice to appear for the written test three days before the date of the test, call 518-474 6470 in the Albany area or toll free at 1-877-697-5627.
Multiple Examinations Scheduled for the Same Day
If you have applied to take a written test announced by either one or several local jurisdictions (county, town, city) scheduled to be held on the same test date as this written test, you must notify each of the local jurisdictions no later than two weeks before the test date to make arrangements for taking all tests at one test site. All tests will be held at the state examination center. For your convenience, contact information for all local civil service agencies is available on our website at: http://www.cs.ny.gov/jobseeker/local.cfm
Eligibility for Examination
To be eligible to compete in this examination, you must be employed in the specified department or agency on a permanent or contingent permanent basis in the competitive class, or in the non-competitive class or labor class if specifically noted on this announcement (or be on an appropriate preferred list), and have the specified time in the specified title or salary grade. You may not compete in a test for a title if you are permanently employed in that title (unless you are still on probation) or in a higher direct line of promotion.
Cell Phones or Electronic/Communication Devices at the Test Site
Do not bring cell phones, beepers, headphones, or any electronic or other communication devices to the test site. The use of such devices at the test site in the test room, hallways, restrooms, building, grounds, or other areas could result in your disqualification.
This announcement is subject to amendment or cancellation without notice. Do not copy it, or post it to any other site, but link to it instead.