New York State Department of Civil Service announces Continuous Recruitment Examination Open to the Public
- Evaluation of Certification and Experience To Be Held During
- October of each year
- Applications Must Be Submitted Online by
- October 31, 2018
|Exam Number||Exam Title||Salary||Salary Grade||Non−Refundable Processing Fee (Waivers available)|
|20-000||Teacher Biology (Grades 5-9)||$53,568||G-17||$0|
|20-001||Teacher Biology 7-12||$53,568||G-17||$0|
|20-002||Teacher Blind & Visually Impaired / Blind & Partially Sighted||$53,568||G-17||$0|
|20-003||Teacher Business & Marketing / Business & Distributive Education||$53,568||G-17||$0|
|20-004||Teacher Chemistry (Grades 5-9)||$53,568||G-17||$0|
|20-005||Teacher Chemistry (Grades 7-12)||$53,568||G-17||$0|
|20-006||Teacher Deaf & Hard of Hearing / Deaf & Hearing Impaired||$53,568||G-17||$0|
|20-007||Teacher Earth Science (Grades 5-9)||$53,568||G-17||$0|
|20-008||Teacher Earth Science (Grades 7-12)||$53,568||G-17||$0|
|20-009||Teacher Educational Technology Specialist||$53,568||G-17||$0|
|20-010||Teacher Elementary School Subjects||$53,568||G-17||$0|
|20-011||Teacher English Language Arts (Grade 5-9)||$53,568||G-17||$0|
|20-012||Teacher English Language Arts 7-12 / English 7-12||$53,568||G-17||$0|
|20-013||Teacher English to Speakers of Other Languages||$53,568||G-17||$0|
|20-014||Teacher Family & Consumer Sciences / Home Economics||$53,568||G-17||$0|
|20-015||Teacher High School Equivalency Preparation||$53,568||G-17||$0|
|20-016||Teacher Literacy (Grades 5-12) / Reading Teacher||$53,568||G-17||$0|
|20-017||Teacher Mathematics (Grades 5-9)||$53,568||G-17||$0|
|20-018||Teacher Mathematics 7-12||$53,568||G-17||$0|
|20-020||Teacher Physical Education||$53,568||G-17||$0|
|20-021||Teacher Physics (Grades 5-9)||$53,568||G-17||$0|
|20-022||Teacher Physics 7-12||$53,568||G-17||$0|
|20-023||Teacher Library Media Specialist/School Media Specialist||$53,568||G-17||$0|
|20-024||Teacher Social Studies (Grades 5-9)||$53,568||G-17||$0|
|20-025||Teacher Social Studies 7-12||$53,568||G-17||$0|
|20-026||Teacher Spanish 7-12||$53,568||G-17||$0|
|20-027||Teacher Speech & Language Disabilities / Speech & Hearing Handicap||$53,568||G-17||$0|
|20-028||Teacher Students With Disblts 1-6 & Generalist (Gr 5-9) / Special Educ||$53,568||G-17||$0|
|20-029||Teacher Student With Disabilities 7-12 Generalist / Special Educ||$53,568||G-17||$0|
|20-030||Teacher Visual Arts/Art||$53,568||G-17||$0|
|20-031||Teacher (Bilingual Education) Elementary School Subjects||$53,568||G-17||$0|
|20-032||Teacher (Bilingual Education) English Language Arts 7-12 / English 7-12||$53,568||G-17||$0|
|20-033||Teacher (Bilingual Education) Literacy (Grades 5-12) / Reading Teacher||$53,568||G-17||$0|
|20-034||Teacher (Bilingual Education) Mathematics 7-12||$53,568||G-17||$0|
|20-035||Teacher (Bilingual Education) Social Studies 7-12||$53,568||G-17||$0|
|20-036||Teacher (Bilingual Education) Sciences 7-12||$53,568||G-17||$0|
|20-037||Teacher (Bilingual Ed)Students W Disabilities 1-6,Generalist (Gr 5-9)/SpEd||$53,568||G-17||$0|
|20-038||Teacher (Bilingual Ed) Students W Disabilities 7-12 Generalist/Special Ed||$53,568||G-17||$0|
|20-039||Teacher (Spanish Language) Elementary School Subjects||$53,568||G-17||$0|
|20-040||Teacher (Spanish Language) High School Equivalency Preparation||$53,568||G-17||$0|
|20-041||Teacher (Spanish Language) Literacy (Grades 5-12) / Reading Teacher||$53,568||G-17||$0|
|20-042||Teacher (Spanish Language) Students W Disabilities Generalist/Special Ed||$53,568||G-17||$0|
Appointees who work in the five boroughs of New York City or in Nassau, Suffolk, Rockland, or Westchester Counties will receive an additional $3,026 annual downstate adjustment. Appointees who work in Dutchess, Orange, or Putnam Counties will receive an additional $1,513 annual mid-Hudson adjustment.
On or before the date of filing your application, you must have a current New York State Education Department permanent/professional or provisional/initial New York State certification.
Requirements for Appointment at each level:
For Teacher 2: Current New York State Education Department provisional/initial certification in classroom teaching in the appropriate specialty.
For Teacher 3: Current New York State Education Department permanent/professional certification in classroom teaching in the appropriate specialty.
For Teacher 4: Current New York State Education Department permanent/professional certification in classroom teaching in the appropriate specialty and two years of post-certification (provisional/initial or permanent/professional) teaching experience in that same specialty.
*If you apply for the High School Equivalency Preparation examination(s), you must possess New York State Certification in one of the following: English Language Arts 7-12, Mathematics 7-12, Social Studies 7-12, Reading, Literacy, Biology 7-12, Earth Science 7-12, Chemistry 7-12, and/or Physics 7-12.
? If you apply for the Elementary School Subjects examination(s), you must possess New York State Certification in one of the following: Childhood Education (Grades 1-6); Pre Kindergarten, Kindergarten and Grades 1-6; Nursery, Kindergarten & Grades 1-6; or Common Branch Subjects (1-6)
Requirements for Continued Employment: Possession of a permanent/professional or provisional/initial New York State certificate in the appropriate specialty is necessary for continued employment. Loss of certification will result in termination of employment.
|Title||Salary Grade||Beginning Salary**|
** Salaries are paid on a ten-month basis. If you work during the other two months, you will receive additional compensation.
How to Obtain Teacher Certification: Inquiries regarding teacher certification should be addressed to the New York State Education Department, Office of Teaching Initiatives, Albany, New York 12234 http://www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/.
- You may apply for any number of the teaching specialties for which you are qualified.
- Important: Verify that you selected the correct examination numbers and titles on your online application prior to submitting. You should immediately review your email confirmation notice to verify that you applied for the correct examinations. If you do not receive a confirmation number after submitting your online application, your application was NOT received by the Department of Civil Service. No late applications will be accepted after the filing deadline has passed.
- There is no processing fee for this examination.
- If you are considered for appointment as a Teacher (Bilingual Education), you must possess a valid New York State Education Department initial/provisional or professional/permanent base certificate and a Bilingual extension. In order to receive the Bilingual extension, you must have taken and passed the Bilingual Education Assessment in the target language of the extension. The extension remains valid as long as the base certificate is valid. You may be asked to demonstrate proficiency in the language in which you are teaching. That proficiency must be at a level which will allow you to perform the duties of the position satisfactorily.
- If you submit an application under the Teacher (Spanish Language) specialty for 20-039 Elementary School Subjects; 20-040 High School Equivalency Preparation; or 20-041 Literacy (Grades 5-12) (Reading), an application will automatically be submitted for you for the corresponding Teacher specialty exam for 20-010 Elementary School Subjects; 20-015 High School Equivalency Preparation; or 20-016 Literacy (Grades 5-12) (Reading).
- If you are considered for appointment as a Teacher (Spanish Language), you will be required to demonstrate your Spanish language proficiency at a level that will ensure your ability to perform properly the duties of the position. Only enough candidates to fill current vacancies will be called to the proficiency test.
- You will be appointed at the level for which you meet the requirements at the time of your appointment. When you meet the requirements for a higher level in your specialty, you will be eligible for promotion to that level without further examination.
- Appointment to one of these positions requires a probationary period ranging in length from one year to three years. While on probation, you may be promoted to a higher level upon completion of additional requirements. You would not, however, be required to serve an additional probation at the higher level once you have satisfactorily completed the original probationary period.
- Appropriate part-time and volunteer experience, which can be verified, will be accepted on a prorated basis.
- New York State Residence is not required.
- Background Investigation: Because of the nature of the position/s there is an investigative screening that may include a thorough character investigation. All convictions must be reported. Conviction of a felony or misdemeanor or any falsified or omitted information may bar appointment or result in removal after appointment. Each case is determined on its own merits, consistent with the applicable provisions of state and federal laws.
- Background Investigation/Justice Center Review: The names of all prospective employees will be:
- Checked against the Staff Exclusion List (SEL) maintained by the Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs. Prospective employees whose names appear on the SEL as having been found responsible for serious or repeated acts of abuse or neglect will be barred from appointment and may have their names removed from the eligible list(s);
- Investigated through a Criminal Background Check (CBC). All convictions must be reported. Conviction of a felony or misdemeanor or any falsified or omitted information may bar appointment or result in removal after appointment. Each case will be determined on its own merits, consistent with the applicable provisions of state and federal laws;
- Screened against the Statewide Central Register of Child Abuse and Maltreatment (SCR). Prospective employees whose names appear on the SCR may be barred from appointment.
These positions exist in New York State government in the various facilities of the Office of Children and Family Services, Office of Mental Health, and the Department of Corrections and Community Supervision. The positions are in a variety of settings ranging from institutional settings, where teachers may be required to function in a security-oriented environment, to a community-based setting. Currently there are vacancies at various locations throughout the state. Agencies have the latitude to determine which teaching specialty best addresses the needs of the population served and may, therefore, fill vacant positions from several different eligible lists.
As a Teacher 2, 3, and 4, under general supervision and with considerable independence of judgment and action, you will teach elementary, secondary, or special subjects. The duties include preparing course and unit outlines, lesson plans, educational progress reports, individual education plans, and acting as advisor to student groups and organizations. Teachers at each level perform specialized tasks with emphasis on the identification and detection of skills. This involves development of a plan of objectives for remedial education and evaluation of the growth and development of the student?s competency in the stated skills objectives.
As a Teacher of English to Speakers of Other Languages & Teacher (Bilingual Education), under general supervision, you would utilize professional training and experience in the techniques and methods of diagnosis and remediation to either teach English to students who speak a language other than English or teach various subjects bilingually to the learner. This includes teaching basic skills, administration, modification of individual lessons and curricula, and the duties as described for Teacher 2, 3, and 4. You may be required to follow an approved program design written by the specific agency and funded by either state or federal funds.
Subject of Examination
THERE WILL BE NO WRITTEN TEST. You will be required to complete a certification and experience questionnaire online. The online questionnaire IS YOUR TEST. The questionnaire will collect information about your certifications and experience. It will be evaluated against the general background/critical activities of the position. Your answers to the questionnaire will be the only basis for evaluating your certification and experience. Candidates will have one chance to complete the examination questionnaire. Your name will not appear on the eligible list if you fail to complete the examination questionnaire. If disqualified, you must wait until the next holding to reapply. It is essential that you describe your certification and experience as completely as possible. Ambiguity, vagueness, or omissions will not be decided in the candidate?s favor. All statements concerning certification and experience are subject to verification.
Your final score must be 70 or higher in order to pass. Rank on the eligible list will be determined after adding any wartime veterans' and Civil Service Law Section 85-a credits to your final passing score.
How To Apply
State agencies have an ongoing need for persons qualified for appointment to these positions and will accept applications annually, during a specified period of time and rate applications at that time. It is anticipated that the examinations will be held once a year. For the testing schedule and other information about this examination, email the Department of Civil Service at email@example.com or by calling 518-457-2487 in the Albany Area, or toll free at 1-877-697-5627.
Qualified candidates may file as frequently as once a year, but a new application and examination questionnaire are required each time.
New York State is an Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of the State of New York to provide for and promote equal opportunity employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without unlawful discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, religion, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, veteran or military service member status, marital status, domestic violence victim status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, arrest and/or criminal conviction record, or any other category protected by law, unless based upon a bona fide occupational qualification or other exception.
Appointment to many positions in State government require candidates to undergo an investigative screening. This may include a thorough character investigation, a Federal Bureau of Investigation Criminal Record History Check, a Child Abuse Registry clearance, or other similar procedures. Candidates may be fingerprinted and may be required to pay any necessary fees for that procedure. Depending on the nature of the job, the criminal convictions discovered, or any falsified or omitted information revealed, the investigative findings may bar appointment or result in removal after appointment.
Eligibility for Employment
You must be legally eligible to work in the United States at the time of appointment and throughout your employment with New York State. If appointed, you must produce documents that establish your identity and eligibility to work in the United States, as required by the federal Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, and the Immigration and Nationality Act.
Reasonable Accommodations in Testing
It is the policy of the Department of Civil Service, in accordance with the New York State Human Rights Law and the Americans with Disabilities Act, to provide qualified persons with disabilities equal employment opportunity and equal opportunity to participate in and receive the benefits, services, programs, and activities of the Department. It is the policy of the Department to provide such persons reasonable accommodations and reasonable modifications as are necessary to provide equal opportunity. Persons with disabilities who require an accommodation to participate in an examination must note this on their application. Further information is available from the Test Administration Unit of the Department of Civil Service. In the Albany area, call 518-457-2487. Outside of the Albany area, call toll free at 1-877-697-5627. For TDD services, call NY Relay at 711 (requires a fee) or 1-800-662-1220.
New York State Residence Is Not Required For Most Positions
However, you must be eligible for employment in the United States.
Continuous Recruitment/Eligible Lists
Candidates who meet the qualifications and pass this examination will have their names placed on the eligible list in the order of final scores, regardless of the date on which they filed or took the test. Generally, the names of qualified candidates will remain on the eligible list for two years. Appeal of ratings will not be allowed as the opportunity for retest exists. The Department of Civil Service reserves the right to terminate this special recruitment program.
This announcement is subject to amendment or cancellation without notice. Do not copy it, or post it to any other site, but link to it instead.