New York State Department of Civil Service announces Continuous Recruitment Examination Open to the Public
Licensed Master Social Worker 1/2
- Evaluation of Certification and Experience To Be Held During
- January and July of each year
- Applications Must Be Submitted Online by
- January 31, 2018
|Exam Number||Exam Title||Salary||Salary Grade||Non−Refundable Processing Fee (Waivers available)|
|20-050||Licensed Master Social Worker 1||$55,494||G-18||$35|
|20-051||Licensed Master Social Worker 1 Various Language Proficiencies (VLP)||$55,494||G-18|
|20-052||Licensed Master Social Worker 2 Various Program Areas||$61,496||G-20||$40|
|20-053||Licensed Master Social Worker 2 Various Program Areas (VLP)||$61,496||G-20|
|IMPORTANT: Unless waived, you must pay the non-refundable processing fee. For information on fee waivers, visit https://www.cs.ny.gov/examannouncements/types/oc/appinfo.cfm##Fee. It is important that you verify that you entered the correct examination number and title on your online or paper application prior to submitting. If you apply online, you should immediately review your email confirmation notice to verify that you applied for the correct examination. If you do not receive a confirmation number after submitting your online application, your application was NOT received by the Department of Civil Service. No late applications will be accepted after the filing deadline has passed.|
Appointees who work in the five boroughs of New York City or in Nassau, Suffolk, Rockland, or Westchester Counties will receive an additional $3,026 annual downstate adjustment. Appointees who work in Dutchess, Orange, or Putnam Counties will receive an additional $1,513 annual mid-Hudson adjustment.
* Licensed Master Social Worker 2 (LMSW 2) Various Program Areas: There will NOT be lists established specifically for 20-052 Licensed Master Social Worker 2 (Various Program Areas) or 20-053 Licensed Master Social Worker 2 Various Program Areas (Various Language Proficiencies). Instead, all candidates who meet the minimum qualifications and submit an online application/questionnaire for those examinations will have their names placed on the following eligible lists which will be established as a result:
20-054 Licensed Master Social Worker 2 (Acute Care/Rehabilitation)
20-056 Licensed Master Social Worker 2 (Addictions)
20-058 Licensed Master Social Worker 2 (Children and Youth)
20-060 Licensed Master Social Worker 2 (Developmental Disabilities)
20-062 Licensed Master Social Worker 2 (Forensic)
20-064 Licensed Master Social Worker 2 (Geriatric)
20-066 Licensed Master Social Worker 2 (Mental Health)
20-068 Licensed Master Social Worker 2 (Sex Offender Assessment and Treatment)
In addition, successful candidates for exam No. 20-053 will also have their names placed on the following eligible lists:
20-055 Licensed Master Social Worker 2 Acute Care/Rehabilitation (VLP)
20-057 Licensed Master Social Worker 2 Addictions (VLP)
20-059 Licensed Master Social Worker 2 Children and Youth (VLP)
20-061 Licensed Master Social Worker 2 Developmental Disabilities (VLP)
20-063 Licensed Master Social Worker 2 Forensic (VLP)
20-065 Licensed Master Social Worker 2 Geriatric (VLP)
20-067 Licensed Master Social Worker 2 Mental Health (VLP)
20-069 Licensed Master Social Worker 2 Sex Offender Assessment and Treatment (VLP)
Candidates who are proficient in a language other than English and are interested in using that skill as a Licensed Master Social Worker 1 or 2 should apply for the ???Various Language Proficiencies??? options of these examinations. Agencies currently have Licensed Master Social Worker (Spanish Language), Licensed Master Social Worker (Korean Language), and Licensed Master Social Worker (Chinese Language) positions and may establish positions for Languages such as French-Creole, Italian, Polish, and Russian in the future. The Licensed Master Social Worker 1 and 2 (Various Language Proficiencies) eligible lists will be used to fill all Licensed Master Social Worker language positions. You will inform the agency of your specific language proficiencies upon receiving a canvass letter from the agency. Before you can be offered an appointment, you will be required to pass a performance test to demonstrate your language proficiency.
On or before the date of filing your application, you must be
For Exam Numbers 20-050 and 20-051: licensed and currently registered by New York State as a Licensed Master Social Worker (LMSW) or Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW).
For Exam Nos. 20-052 and 20-053:
Either A. licensed and currently registered by New York State as a Licensed Master Social Worker (LMSW) AND have one year of post NYS licensure professional social work experience;**
Or B. licensed and currently registered by New York State as a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW).
Registration and licensure as a Licensed Mental Health Counselor is not considered qualifying for these examinations.
** Professional social work experience involves activities such as screening, assessing and diagnosing individuals' and families' psychosocial needs, strengths and limitations; participating in the development of treatment plans and discharge plans; counseling and educating individuals, groups and families to promote mental, emotional, physical and social functioning; helping access needed services; providing client/patient advocacy and crisis intervention; and developing, coordinating and evaluating services and support systems. Experience limited to social work research or social work administration is NOT considered qualifying.
- This examination uses an online application process only. Applications must be submitted online by the deadline indicated above. Late applications will not be accepted.
- Background Investigation/Justice Center Review: The names of all prospective employees will be:
- Checked against the Staff Exclusion List (SEL) maintained by the Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs. Prospective employees whose names appear on the SEL as having been found responsible for serious or repeated acts of abuse or neglect will be barred from appointment and may have their names removed from the eligible list(s) for the title(s);
- Investigated through a Criminal Background Check (CBC). All convictions must be reported. Conviction of a felony or misdemeanor or any falsified or omitted information may bar appointment or result in removal after appointment. Each case will be determined on its own merits, consistent with the applicable provisions of state and federal laws;
- Screened against the Statewide Central Register of Child Abuse and Maltreatment (SCR). Prospective employees whose names appear on the SCR may be barred from appointment. You will be responsible for payment of all required fees.
- Medicaid and Medicare: In order to be eligible for appointment and to maintain employment, you cannot be listed as an excluded individual or entity on any of the Federal and/or State Medicaid and Medicare exclusion lists (or excluded from any other Federal or Federally assisted program). If you are appointed and subsequently listed as an excluded individual or entity on any of these lists (or excluded from any other Federal or Federally-assisted program), you may be terminated from your employment.
- If appointed you may be required to become an enrolled Medicare provider; obtain and provide to your employer a National Provider Identifier (NPI) number issued by the National Plan and Provider Enumeration System (NPES); and otherwise actively participate to the degree necessary to allow for your services to be billed through Medicare and Medicaid. If you are appointed and you lose the ability to bill through Medicaid and Medicare, you may be terminated from your employment.
- Credentials will be reviewed at the time of interview. All statements made on the application are subject to investigation.
- Continued employment as a Licensed Master Social Worker 1 or 2 is dependent upon current licensure and registration by New York State as a Licensed Master Social Worker or Licensed Clinical Social Worker. Loss of licensure or registration may result in removal from employment.
- Appointment from any Licensed Master Social Worker 2 eligible list will inactivate your name for consideration for appointment from all other License Master Social Worker 2 eligible lists.
- Important: As the processing fee is non-refundable, verify that you entered the correct examination number and title on your online application prior to submitting. When you apply online, you should immediately review your email confirmation notice to verify that you applied for the correct examination. If you do not receive a confirmation number after submitting your online application, your application was NOT received by the Department of Civil Service. No late applications will be accepted after the filing deadline has passed.
- Appropriate part-time and volunteer experience, which can be verified, will be accepted on a prorated basis.
- New York State residence is not required.
These positions exist statewide in residential facilities and community programs of the New York State Office of Mental Health, the Office for People with Developmental Disabilities, and the Office of Children and Family Services; in treatment centers at the Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services; and in the facilities of the Department of Corrections and Community Supervision. Positions also exist in the State Education Department, including School for the Blind; the NYS Workers' Compensation Board; the Office of Victim Services; the Veterans Homes operated by the New York State Department of Health located at Batavia, Montrose, Oxford, and St. Albans (Queens); and the Department of Health Helen Hayes Hospital.
Licensed Master Social Workers 1 and 2 serve as members of interdisciplinary treatment teams providing the full range of social work services to individuals in a variety of settings. As a Licensed Master Social Worker 2, you would be required to handle more complex issues and to exercise a high level of independent professional judgment throughout the course of your activities. You may also be required to supervise and train subordinate staff.
Subject of Examination
There will be no written test. You will be required to complete an online examination questionnaire that will assess your training and work experience against the range of duties and responsibilities found in these positions. After submission of your online application, you will be directed to an online examination questionnaire: you must complete this questionnaire online. The online questionnaire IS YOUR TEST. Failure to complete the application/examination questionnaire will result in disqualification.
You will be rated on your training and experience, weighted according to the requirements of the positions being filled. Your rating may vary when being scored for different program areas. It is essential that you describe your training and experience as completely as possible within the examination questionnaire. Ambiguity, vagueness, or omissions will not be decided in your favor. Resumes will NOT be accepted in lieu of a completed application or examination questionnaire. All statements concerning training and experience are subject to verification.
Your final score must be 70 or higher in order to pass. Rank on the eligible list will be determined after adding any wartime veterans' and Civil Service Law Section 85-a credits to your final passing score.
Important: The Department of Civil Service and other state agencies may communicate with you through email correspondence. This may include the notification of your examination results and canvassing you for interest in appointment. It will be important for you to keep your email address, phone number and mailing address current by logging into https://www.cs.ny.gov/home/myaccount.
Candidate Status on Eligible Lists: Upon the initial establishment of eligible lists resulting from these examinations, successful candidates will have their names activated for consideration for appointment in their geographic area of residence as reflected on their examination application. This would include the county in which the candidate resides, and in many cases, additional counties. After scores for these exams are released, candidates may view the counties that make up their geographic area, as well as activate their name for additional areas of the state, by visiting the New York State Department of Civil Service Eligible List Management System (ELMS) at: http://www.cs.ny.gov/elmspublic/index.cfm.
How To Apply
State agencies have an ongoing need for persons qualified for appointment to these positions and the Department of Civil Service will accept applications bi-annually, during a specified period of time and rate applications at that time. It is anticipated that the examinations will be held twice a year. For the testing schedule and other information about this examination, email the Department of Civil Service at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 518-457-2487 in the Albany Area, or toll free at 1-877-697-5627.
Qualified candidates may file as frequently as once every six months, but a new application is required each time.
New York State is an Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of the State of New York to provide for and promote equal opportunity employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without unlawful discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, religion, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, veteran or military service member status, marital status, domestic violence victim status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, arrest and/or criminal conviction record, or any other category protected by law, unless based upon a bona fide occupational qualification or other exception.
Appointment to many positions in State government require candidates to undergo an investigative screening. This may include a thorough character investigation, a Federal Bureau of Investigation Criminal Record History Check, a Child Abuse Registry clearance, or other similar procedures. Candidates may be fingerprinted and may be required to pay any necessary fees for that procedure. Depending on the nature of the job, the criminal convictions discovered, or any falsified or omitted information revealed, the investigative findings may bar appointment or result in removal after appointment.
Eligibility for Employment
You must be legally eligible to work in the United States at the time of appointment and throughout your employment with New York State. If appointed, you must produce documents that establish your identity and eligibility to work in the United States, as required by the federal Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, and the Immigration and Nationality Act.
Reasonable Accommodations in Testing
It is the policy of the Department of Civil Service, in accordance with the New York State Human Rights Law and the Americans with Disabilities Act, to provide qualified persons with disabilities equal employment opportunity and equal opportunity to participate in and receive the benefits, services, programs, and activities of the Department. It is the policy of the Department to provide such persons reasonable accommodations and reasonable modifications as are necessary to provide equal opportunity. Persons with disabilities who require an accommodation to participate in an examination must note this on their application. Further information is available from the Test Administration Unit of the Department of Civil Service. In the Albany area, call 518-457-2487. Outside of the Albany area, call toll free at 1-877-697-5627. For TDD services, call NY Relay at 711 (requires a fee) or 1-800-662-1220.
New York State Residence Is Not Required For Most Positions
However, you must be eligible for employment in the United States.
Continuous Recruitment/Eligible Lists
Candidates who meet the qualification and pass this examination will have their names placed on the eligible list in the order of final scores, regardless of the date on which they filed or took the test. Generally, the names of qualified candidates will remain on the eligible list for two years. Appeal of ratings will not be allowed as the opportunity for retest exists. The department of Civil Service reserves the right to terminate this special recruitment program.
This announcement is subject to amendment or cancellation without notice. Do not copy it, or post it to any other site, but link to it instead.