New York State Department of Civil Service Announces Examinations Open to All Qualified Individuals
- Applications Accepted
- Tests To Be Held
|Exam Number||Exam Title||Salary||Salary Grade||Non−Refundable Processing Fee (Waivers available)|
|20-256||Associate Psychologist (Spanish Language)||$67,703||G-23|
|20-872||Associate Psychologist-Forensic Mental Health||$67,703||G-23||$0|
|20-873||Associate Psychologist-Sex Offender Assessment and Treatment||$67,703||G-23||$0|
|Examination Number||Job Rate|
NO APPLICATION PROCESSING FEE REQUIRED
Appointees who work in the five boroughs of New York City or in Nassau, Suffolk, Rockland, or Westchester Counties will receive an additional $3,026 annual downstate adjustment. Appointees who work in Dutchess, Orange, or Putnam Counties will receive an additional $1,513 annual mid-Hudson adjustment.
On or before the date of filing your application, you must have:
- a doctoral degree in a clinical field of psychology (see notes below); AND
- EITHER a one-year, full-time pre-doctoral clinical internship OR one year of psychology experience in a clinical setting, under the supervision of a licensed psychologist. You must demonstrate on your application how you meet this qualification.
NOTICE TO APPLICANTS
You must indicate the conferral date of the qualifying doctoral degree and clearly state the dates of the one-year, full-time pre-doctoral clinical internship on the NYS-APP application form or the online application.
In addition to the minimum qualifications stated above for examination No. 20-872 Associate Psychologist ??? Forensic Mental Health and No. 20-873 Associate Psychologist ??? Sex Offender Assessment and Treatment, you must also sufficiently indicate on the application, Form NYS-APP, that you have appropriate clinical psychology experience in the program area(s) for the examination(s) that you select.
- Non-Qualifying Degrees: Non-qualifying degree majors include, but are not limited to the following: education, educational psychology, transpersonal psychology, educational counseling, guidance counseling, experimental psychology, industrial psychology, psychometrics, organizational psychology, student and personnel services, mental health counseling, pastoral psychology, human relations, etc.
- For the purposes of these examinations: Psychology experience in a clinical setting is considered to be any direct care experience with individuals, families, or groups in a hospital, clinic, facility, private practice, or correctional setting under the supervision of a Licensed Psychologist. Qualifying experience must primarily include performing psychological evaluations or assessment tests, psychological diagnostic testing, developing psychological treatment plans, providing psychological counseling and treatment in one or more of the following areas: mental and/or emotional disorders, developmental disabilities, alcoholism, addictions, sex offender assessment and treatment, or forensic mental health.
- The following experience is NOT considered qualifying: Experience in administration, administrative services, administrative oversight, training, special education, behavior specialist, habilitation specialist, project management, research, or primarily supervisory experience. Other non-qualifying experience includes, but is not limited to, experience in experimental psychology, research psychology, industrial psychology, organizational psychology, utilization review, guidance counseling, etc.
- Your degree and/or college credit must have been awarded by a regionally accredited college or university or one recognized by the NYS Education Department as following acceptable educational practices. If your degree and/or college credit was awarded by an educational institution outside the United States and its territories, you must provide independent verification of equivalency. You can write to the Examination Information Desk of the Department of Civil Service for a list of acceptable companies who provide this service. You must pay the required evaluation fee. If you are applying on the Internet, you must mail the independent verification of equivalency to the NYS Department of Civil Service, Albany, New York 12239. Attention: S1JFG.
- If you pass the examination for No. 20-256 Associate Psychologist (Spanish Language) you will be required to demonstrate your Spanish language proficiency at a level that will ensure your ability to perform properly the duties of the position. Only enough candidates to fill current vacancies will be called to the proficiency test.
- If other language parenthetics are established, the list will also be used to fill those positions and appointees must demonstrate their language proficiency prior to appointment.
- Appropriate part-time and volunteer experience, which can be verified, will be accepted on a prorated basis.
- New York State residence is not required.
- In order to be eligible for appointment and to maintain employment, you cannot be listed as an excluded individual or entity on any of the federal and/or State Medicaid and Medicare exclusion lists (or excluded from any other federal or federally assisted program). If you are appointed and subsequently listed as an excluded individual or entity on any of these lists (or excluded from any other federal or federally assisted program), you may be terminated from your employment.
- Background Investigation/Justice Center Review: The names of all prospective employees will be:
- Checked against the Staff Exclusion List (SEL) maintained by the Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs. Prospective employees whose names appear on the SEL as having been found responsible for serious or repeated acts of abuse or neglect will be barred from appointment and may have their names removed from the eligible list(s) for the title(s);
- Investigated through a Criminal Background Check (CBC). All convictions must be reported. Conviction of a felony or misdemeanor or any falsified or omitted information may bar appointment or result in removal after appointment. Each case will be determined on its own merits, consistent with the applicable provisions of State and federal laws;
- Screened against the Statewide Central Register of Child Abuse and Maltreatment (SCR). Prospective employees whose names appear on the SCR may be barred from appointment.
These positions exist in New York State government in the facilities and community programs of the Office of Mental Health, Office of People with Developmental Disabilities, Office of Children and Family Services, and Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services.
As an Associate Psychologist or Associate Psychologist (Spanish Language), you would function as an advanced clinician and provide professional psychological services under the clinical supervision of a Licensed Psychologist. In addition to assessment and treatment, your duties may include: clinical leadership; program management; forensic or court-ordered assessment, treatment and expert testimony; psychological services requiring expertise in neuropsychology, child and adolescent psychology, geropsychology, sex offender treatment, cognitive rehabilitation, trauma, and substance and/or chemical abuse programs, specialized assessment (functional, personality, risk, competency, vocational, education); design and application of behavioral technology and other specialized psychological interventions; individual, group or family therapy; crisis intervention, consultation to other agencies; training and peer review. In the program areas of Associate Psychologist ??? Sex Offender Assessment and Treatment or Associate Psychologist ??? Forensic Mental Health, in addition to the above duties you may also perform the following duties: supervise psychological services provided by clinical staff; evaluate information from mental health units, probation, parole, district attorneys' offices, etc.; assist in determining the need for admission to a secure treatment facility or release to strict and intensive community supervision and treatment; develop, review, and oversee behavior management plans and/or treatment plans; and develop and conduct psychology-related training for all levels of direct care and clinical staff.
Subject of Examination
There will be no written test. The test will consist of an evaluation of your education and experience. Furnish complete information on your application form (NYS-APP) to show that you meet the minimum qualifications. Do NOT send resumes. If you need more space, attach additional 8??" x 11" sheets, following the same format used on the application form. Additional unsolicited information will not be accepted after the last date for filing.
If you meet the Minimum Qualifications you will be sent a supplemental questionnaire to complete and return. Your education and experience will be evaluated against the general background of the position on the basis of the information you supply in the questionnaire. It is, therefore, essential that you include all pertinent education and experience. Vagueness and omissions will not be interpreted in your favor. Your final score will be based on the rating you receive on the evaluation of education and experience. This questionnaire will be the only basis for rating your education and experience.
Your final score must be 70 or higher in order to pass. Rank on the eligible list will be determined after adding any wartime veterans' and Civil Service Law Section 85-a credits to your final passing score.
How To Apply
The NYS Department of Civil Service reserves the right to reject for lateness or to accept applications filed after the advertised filing period. All statements you make on your application are subject to investigation.
State agencies have an ongoing need for persons qualified for appointment to these positions. Therefore, the Department of Civil Service will accept applications at any time.
New York State is an Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of the State of New York to provide for and promote equal opportunity employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without unlawful discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, religion, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, veteran or military service member status, marital status, domestic violence victim status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, arrest and/or criminal conviction record, or any other category protected by law, unless based upon a bona fide occupational qualification or other exception.
Appointment to many positions in State government require candidates to undergo an investigative screening. This may include a thorough character investigation, a Federal Bureau of Investigation Criminal Record History Check, a Child Abuse Registry clearance, or other similar procedures. Candidates may be fingerprinted and may be required to pay any necessary fees for that procedure. Depending on the nature of the job, the criminal convictions discovered, or any falsified or omitted information revealed, the investigative findings may bar appointment or result in removal after appointment.
Eligibility for Employment
You must be legally eligible to work in the United States at the time of appointment and throughout your employment with New York State. If appointed, you must produce documents that establish your identity and eligibility to work in the United States, as required by the federal Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, and the Immigration and Nationality Act.
Reasonable Accommodations in Testing
It is the policy of the Department of Civil Service, in accordance with the New York State Human Rights Law and the Americans with Disabilities Act, to provide qualified persons with disabilities equal employment opportunity and equal opportunity to participate in and receive the benefits, services, programs, and activities of the Department. It is the policy of the Department to provide such persons reasonable accommodations and reasonable modifications as are necessary to provide equal opportunity. Persons with disabilities who require an accommodation to participate in an examination must note this on their application. Further information is available from the Test Administration Unit of the Department of Civil Service. In the Albany area, call 518-457-2487. Outside of the Albany area, call toll free at 1-877-697-5627. For TDD services, call NY Relay at 711 (requires a fee) or 1-800-662-1220.
New York State Residence Is Not Required For Most Positions
However, you must be eligible for employment in the United States.
Continuous Recruitment/Eligible Lists
Candidates who meet the qualification and pass this examination will have their names placed on the eligible list in the order of final scores, regardless of the date on which they filed or took the test. Generally, the names of qualified candidates will remain on the eligible list for two years. Appeal of ratings will not be allowed as the opportunity for retest exists. The department of Civil Service reserves the right to terminate this special recruitment program.
This announcement is subject to amendment or cancellation without notice. Do not copy it, or post it to any other site, but link to it instead.