New York State Department of Civil Service Announces Examinations Open to All Qualified Individuals
Motor Equipment Mechanic
- Applications Accepted
- Tests To Be Held
|Exam Number||Exam Title||Salary||Salary Grade||Non−Refundable Processing Fee (Waivers available)|
|20-794||Motor Equipment Mechanic||*||G-12||$25|
Equated To G-12
Equated To G-12
$35,714 (Canal Corporation)
Appointees who work in the five boroughs of New York City or in Nassau, Suffolk, Rockland, or Westchester Counties will receive an additional $3,026 annual downstate adjustment. Appointees who work in Dutchess, Orange, or Putnam Counties will receive an additional $1,513 annual mid-Hudson adjustment.
On or before the date of filing application you must have:
Either 1. four years of experience as an automotive or diesel mechanic responsible for the diagnosis of faulty vehicle and/or equipment operation and the performance of mechanical repairs covering several aspects of automotive and/or diesel systems. On your application you must specify types of repair work performed and the kinds of vehicles on which you performed this work;
Or 2. an associate's degree in automotive or diesel repair technology.
Substitution: Education as detailed below may be substituted for a maximum of two years of experience.
- Graduation from a technical or vocational program, such as B.O.C.E.S, in automotive or diesel technology or automotive or diesel repair technology may be substituted for one year of experience.
- Graduation from a one-year post high school certificate program in automotive or diesel repair technology may be substituted for up to two years of experience.
Experience limited to airplane (aviation) mechanic (except for ground equipment); gas station attendant; the repair of motorcycles, motor boats, or small engines; installation or repair of transmissions, mufflers, brakes, or tires; new car preparation; auto body repair work; or management activities as the owner or supervisor of a repair shop or service station is NOT QUALIFYING.
If you meet the minimum qualifications for this examination, you will be sent a supplemental questionnaire that you must fill out and return to the NYS Department of Civil Service.
- At the time of appointment, agencies may require you to furnish a basic tool set.
- At the time of appointment, agencies will require your certification by the Department of Motor Vehicles to conduct NYS inspections.
- Some agencies require that within three months of appointment you must obtain an appropriate commercial driver's license or any additional driving endorsement determined by the agency.
- Appropriate part-time and volunteer experience, which can be verified, will be accepted on a prorated basis.
- New York State residence is not required.
- Your degree and/or college credit must have been awarded by a regionally accredited college or university or one recognized by the NYS Education Department as following acceptable educational practices. If your degree and/or college credit was awarded by an educational institution outside the United States and its territories you must provide independent verification of equivalency. You can write to the Examination Information Desk of the Department of Civil Service for a list of acceptable companies who provide this service. You must pay the required evaluation fee.
- Although a transition examination is being held, it is expected that appointments will be made as the result of this open-competitive examination.
- Physical/Medical Requirements: A medical examination is required for some agencies. If you pass the evaluation of education and experience, your physical and medical condition will be evaluated to ensure that you are able to satisfactorily perform the duties of these positions with or without reasonable accommodation. A complete statement of the physical and medical standards is available at: http://www.cs.ny.gov/ehs/forms.cfm. The medical examination will be conducted after a conditional offer of appointment has been made but prior to commencing employment. You are responsible for payment of the clinical laboratory fee. Appointees to this position may be required to undergo periodic medical examinations to reassess their ability to perform the essential duties of the position.
- Substance Abuse Testing: You will be required to participate in substance abuse testing. Evidence of substance abuse may lead to your disqualification from appointment or termination from permanent employment in the position. You will be advised of these requirements at the time of your employment interview.
- Important: As the processing fee is non-refundable, verify that you entered the correct examination number and title on your online or paper application prior to submitting. If you apply online, you should immediately review your email notice to verify that you applied for the correct examination. If you do not receive a number after submitting your online application, your application was NOT received by the Department of Civil Service.
These positions exist in various New York State departments and agencies at various locations throughout the state.
As a Motor Equipment Mechanic, you would diagnose and correct the causes of faulty vehicle and equipment operation. You would overhaul, adjust and repair: gaseous fuel engines, clutches, transmissions and differentials; ignition, wiring, lighting, fuel, cooling, braking and complex hydraulic systems; steering, wheel and suspension mechanisms; and body, cab and frame components. You would also conduct NYS inspections. You may be assigned to overhaul and rebuild starters, generators, compressors, pumps (fuel, water, air and hydraulic), spreaders, small engines, mowers and a variety of other equipment, including but not limited to track vehicles, loaders (front-end and belt), cranes, shovels, lifts, hydraulic excavators, etc. You may diagnose and repair electronic engine control systems, anti-lock brake systems, and air conditioning. You may also be required to do cutting and welding. In small shops you may supervise Maintenance Assistants, Maintenance Helpers and others. You might also be required to make road calls, test drive equipment, complete reports, use parts catalogs, and perform other related duties.
Subject of Examination
There will be no written test. If you meet the Minimum Qualifications your education and experience will be evaluated against the general background/critical activities of the position. It is essential that you describe your education and experience as completely as possible on the NYS-APP examination application form. Ambiguity, vagueness or omissions will not be decided in your favor. Do NOT send resumes. If you need more space, attach additional 8??" x 11" sheets, following the same format used on the application form. Additional unsolicited information will not be accepted after the last day for filing. In addition, all approved applicants will be sent a supplemental questionnaire that will be used to rate your education and experience in the automotive, heavy truck and/or heavy equipment repair vocation.
Your final score must be 70 or higher in order to pass. Rank on the eligible list will be determined after adding any wartime veterans??? and Civil Service Law Section 85-a credits to your final passing score.
Important: The Department of Civil Service and other state agencies may communicate with you through email correspondence. This may include the notification of your examination results and canvassing you for interest in appointment. It will be important for you to keep your email address, phone number and mailing address current by logging into https://www.cs.ny.gov/home/myaccount.
How To Apply
Where to Apply
Mail your completed application to:
- Application Processing, New York State Department of Civil Service, Albany, NY 12239
State agencies have an ongoing need for persons qualified for appointment to these positions. Therefore, the Department of Civil Service will accept applications at any time and will rate applications quarterly.
Qualified applicants will remain on the eligible list for two years. Candidates may re-apply at any time but a new application AND all supplemental information and documentation will be required each time. Candidates will be responsible for paying the non-refundable processing fee with each application. Appeal of ratings will not be allowed as the opportunity for retest exists. The Department of Civil Service reserves the right to terminate this special recruitment program.
New York State is an Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of the State of New York to provide for and promote equal opportunity employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without unlawful discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, religion, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, veteran or military service member status, marital status, domestic violence victim status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, arrest and/or criminal conviction record, or any other category protected by law, unless based upon a bona fide occupational qualification or other exception.
Appointment to many positions in State government require candidates to undergo an investigative screening. This may include a thorough character investigation, a Federal Bureau of Investigation Criminal Record History Check, a Child Abuse Registry clearance, or other similar procedures. Candidates may be fingerprinted and may be required to pay any necessary fees for that procedure. Depending on the nature of the job, the criminal convictions discovered, or any falsified or omitted information revealed, the investigative findings may bar appointment or result in removal after appointment.
Eligibility for Employment
You must be legally eligible to work in the United States at the time of appointment and throughout your employment with New York State. If appointed, you must produce documents that establish your identity and eligibility to work in the United States, as required by the federal Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, and the Immigration and Nationality Act.
Reasonable Accommodations in Testing
It is the policy of the Department of Civil Service, in accordance with the New York State Human Rights Law and the Americans with Disabilities Act, to provide qualified persons with disabilities equal employment opportunity and equal opportunity to participate in and receive the benefits, services, programs, and activities of the Department. It is the policy of the Department to provide such persons reasonable accommodations and reasonable modifications as are necessary to provide equal opportunity. Persons with disabilities who require an accommodation to participate in an examination must note this on their application. Further information is available from the Test Administration Unit of the Department of Civil Service. In the Albany area, call 518-457-2487. Outside of the Albany area, call toll free at 1-877-697-5627. For TDD services, call NY Relay at 711 (requires a fee) or 1-800-662-1220.
New York State Residence Is Not Required For Most Positions
However, you must be eligible for employment in the United States.
Continuous Recruitment/Eligible Lists
Candidates who meet the qualifications and pass this examination will have their names placed on the eligible list in the order of final scores, regardless of the date on which they filed or took the test. Generally, the names of qualified candidates will remain on the eligible list for two years. Appeal of ratings will not be allowed as the opportunity for retest exists. The Department of Civil Service reserves the right to terminate this special recruitment program.
This announcement is subject to amendment or cancellation without notice. Do not copy it, or post it to any other site, but link to it instead.