Business Systems Analyst 2 (Health)
- Written Test To Be Held
- October 13, 2018
- Applications Must Be Submitted or Postmarked By
- August 29, 2018
|Exam Number||Exam Title||Salary||Salary Grade||Non−Refundable Processing Fee (Waivers available)|
|26-559||Business Systems Analyst 2 (Health)||$73,284||23||$40|
|IMPORTANT: Unless waived, you must pay the non-refundable processing fee. For information on fee waivers, visit https://www.cs.ny.gov/examannouncements/types/oc/appinfo.cfm##Fee. It is important that you verify that you entered the correct examination number and title on your online or paper application prior to submitting. If you apply online, you should immediately review your email confirmation notice to verify that you applied for the correct examination. If you do not receive a confirmation number after submitting your online application, your application was NOT received by the Department of Civil Service. No late applications will be accepted after the filing deadline has passed.|
Appointees who work in the five boroughs of New York City or in Nassau, Suffolk, Rockland, or Westchester Counties will receive an additional $3,026 annual downstate adjustment. Appointees who work in Dutchess, Orange, or Putnam Counties will receive an additional $1,513 annual mid-Hudson adjustment.
On or before October 13, 2018, you must have:
Either A. a bachelor???s or higher degree AND three years of business analysis* experience where your primary duty was performing three of the five following activities:
- Using business analysis techniques to elicit requirements as the foundation for the solution to the organizations business needs (e.g., workshops, focus groups, interviews, observation, brainstorming, surveys/questionnaires, JAD Sessions).
- Using business analysis techniques for the purpose of identifying solutions aimed at improving the efficiency and effectiveness of the system, business process, or product/service to fulfill the business requirements (e.g., Data Flow Diagram, Business Process Model, Root Cause Analysis, Fish Bone Diagram, Context Diagram, Business Process Flows, or Fit-Gap Analysis).
- Describing in a comprehensive written document what the system, process, or product service must do in order to satisfy the established business requirement; this includes creating, updating, and maintaining documentation through the system development life cycle (e.g., Business Case, Use Case, Business Requirements Document [BRD], Fit-Gap Analysis, Impact and Feasibility Analysis, or Change Management Analysis).
- Validating requirements throughout the product/system development life cycle (SDLC) including all changes to the processes that would enable an organization to achieve its goals.
- Verifying requirements throughout the product/system development life cycle (SDLC) to ensure they perform to the required specifications and are capable of achieving the design capabilities; this includes developing test plans/scenarios and logical designs, testing the scenarios, reviewing test results, identifying constraints and risks, and/or communicating with stakeholders.
Or B. a bachelor???s or higher degree AND possession of a Level 2 International Institute of Business Analysis/Certification of Capability in Business Analysis (IIBA/CCBA) Certification** AND one year of business analysis* experience where your primary duty was performing three of the five activities listed above.
Or C. possession of a Level 3 International Institute of Business Analysis/Certified Business Analysis Professional (IIBA/CBAP) Certification.**
*Experience must have been in a large health care facility; health related governmental entity; health insurance company; large health care provider organization or employer; or experience with the New York State Medical Assistance (Medicaid) Program in a New York State agency, or a New York State Local social services district or county including administration of government sponsored medical assistance programs. For the purposes of this examination, business analysis includes the following: the use of requirement elicitation techniques for improvement or automation of processes or functions; conducting research and documenting the current state of a business process or function; participating in the implementation of system changes and enhancements; conducting system tests using test scenarios and documenting results; creating training, including procedure manuals for end users regarding new procedures and software; engaging in post implementation review and assessment; identifying, analyzing and resolving of issues inherent to existing systems; and acting as a liaison and interpreter between stakeholders and end users of the system.
**Information regarding IIBA Certification can be found at: http://www.iiba.org/Certification/certificationlevels.aspx
Examples of non-qualifying experience include but ARE NOT limited to:
- Conducting or overseeing operational audits or audits of internal controls to develop audit reports and make recommendations to management regarding policies, practices, procedures and resources.
- Responsibility limited to forms design and changes to forms.
- Business related operational responsibilities, including serving internal and external customers, using a business system in the performance of daily operational duties, managing staff with business responsibilities, etc.
- Information technology-related responsibilities such as hardware installation, network configuration, software administration and programming.
- Development of instructional materials and classroom training.
- Help desk duties including troubleshooting, resolving user issues, and providing customer service.
If you expect to meet the educational requirements by June 30, 2019, you can be admitted to the written test, but you cannot be considered for appointment until you submit proof of successful completion of the educational requirement to the Appointing Authority at the time of the employment interview. Failure to meet the educational requirements by June 30, 2019 may result in your removal from the eligible list.???
- If you meet the Minimum Qualifications you may also be interested in competing in Examination No. 26-618 Business Systems Analyst 2 for which a written test is also being held on October 13, 2018. You may file for any combination of these examinations by completing one application form listing the numbers and titles of the examinations in which you are interested. The appropriate processing fee must be filed for each examination.
- Your degree must have been awarded by a college or university accredited by a regional, national, or specialized agency recognized as an accrediting agency by the U.S. Department of Education/U.S. Secretary of Education. If your degree was awarded by an educational institution outside the United States and its territories, you must provide independent verification of equivalency. You can write to the Examination Information Desk of the NYS Department of Civil Service for a list of acceptable companies who provide this service. This information can also be found on the Internet at http://www.cs.ny.gov/jobseeker/degrees.cfm. You must pay the required evaluation fee. If you are applying on the Internet, you must mail the independent verification of equivalency to the New York State Department of Civil Service, Albany, New York 12239. Attention: S1BMK.
- Appropriate part-time and volunteer experience, which can be verified, will be accepted on a prorated basis.
- New York State residence is not required.
- Business analysis - These questions test for knowledge of business analysis as outlined in the International Institute of Business Analysis' (IIBA) Business Analysis Body of Knowledge (BABOK). They may cover enterprise analysis, requirements planning and management, requirements elicitation, requirements analysis and documentation, requirements communication, solution assessment and validation, testing and implementation.
- Supervision - These questions test for knowledge of the principles and practices employed in planning, organizing, and controlling the activities of a work unit toward predetermined objectives. The concepts covered, usually in a situational question format, include such topics as assigning and reviewing work; evaluating performance; maintaining work standards; motivating and developing subordinates; implementing procedural change; increasing efficiency; and dealing with problems of absenteeism, morale, and discipline.
- Project management fundamentals - These questions test for knowledge of the techniques and concepts of project management. They may cover terminology and concepts; project scheduling and control techniques (e.g., CPM); creating and evaluating bids; monitoring project progress; controlling a project timeline; and evaluating the project.
- Preparing written material - These questions test for the ability to present information clearly and accurately, and to organize paragraphs logically and comprehensibly. For some questions, you will be given information in two or three sentences followed by four restatements of the information. You must then choose the best version. For other questions, you will be given paragraphs with their sentences out of order. You must then choose, from four suggestions, the best order for the sentences.
- Facilitating Communications - These questions test for the principles and practices employed by a facilitator to obtain information, to gain consensus, and/or to promote dialogue between or among individuals or groups to successfully complete a project.
These positions exist in the New York State Department of Health in Albany and New York City.
As a Business Systems Analysts 2 (Health), you would coordinate health information system planning efforts; identify and document required system changes or enhancements based on changes to federal, State, and/or local laws and statutes, or procedures; establish timetables for completion of projects; explain business and functional requirements to application programmers and contractors for specific program areas; review and approve system design documentation and specifications; develop and implement test plans against established criteria for users, technical staff, and systems developers, and oversee the testing of system changes or enhancements to ensure user and program requirements are met; coordinate implementation and provide status updates to management; troubleshoot system deficiencies by reviewing and analyzing data findings, such as program flow issues, front-end and back-end errors, corrupt data, and other systems deficiencies; and evaluate available commercial products for incorporation into health information systems. You would also supervise Business Systems Analysts 1 (Health), trainees, and/or other subordinate staff.
Subject of Examination
There will be a written test which you must pass in order to be considered for appointment. The written test is designed to test for knowledge, skills, and/or abilities in such areas as:
Your final score must be 70 or higher in order to pass. Rank on the eligible list will be determined after adding any wartime Veterans' and Civil Service Law Section 85-a credits to your final passing score.
Important: The Department of Civil Service and other state agencies may communicate with you through email correspondence. This may include the notification of your examination results and canvassing you for interest in appointment. It will be important for you to keep your email address, phone number and mailing address current by logging into https://www.cs.ny.gov/home/myaccount.
How To Apply
If you do not receive a confirmation number after submitting your online application, your application was NOT processed.
New York State is an Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of the State of New York to provide for and promote equal opportunity employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without unlawful discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, religion, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, veteran or military service member status, marital status, domestic violence victim status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, arrest and/or criminal conviction record, or any other category protected by law, unless based upon a bona fide occupational qualification or other exception.
Appointment to many positions in State government require candidates to undergo an investigative screening. This may include a thorough character investigation, a Federal Bureau of Investigation Criminal Record History Check, a Child Abuse Registry clearance, or other similar procedures. Candidates may be fingerprinted and may be required to pay any necessary fees for that procedure. Depending on the nature of the job, the criminal convictions discovered, or any falsified or omitted information revealed, the investigative findings may bar appointment or result in removal after appointment.
Eligibility for Employment
You must be legally eligible to work in the United States at the time of appointment and throughout your employment with New York State. If appointed, you must produce documents that establish your identity and eligibility to work in the United States, as required by the federal Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, and the Immigration and Nationality Act.
Most written tests are held on Saturdays. If you cannot take the test on the announced test date, due to a conflict with a religious observance or practice, check the box under “Religious Accommodation.” We will make arrangements for you to take the test on a different date (usually the following day).
Reasonable Accommodations in Testing
It is the policy of the Department of Civil Service, in accordance with the New York State Human Rights Law and the Americans with Disabilities Act, to provide qualified persons with disabilities equal employment opportunity and equal opportunity to participate in and receive the benefits, services, programs, and activities of the Department. It is the policy of the Department to provide such persons reasonable accommodations and reasonable modifications as are necessary to provide equal opportunity. Persons with disabilities who require an accommodation to participate in an examination must note this on their application. Further information is available from the Test Administration Unit of the Department of Civil Service. In the Albany area, call 518-457-2487. Outside of the Albany area, call toll free at 1-877-697-5627. For TDD services, call NY Relay at 711 (requires a fee) or 1-800-662-1220.
Admission to Examination
Notice to appear for the test may be conditional as review of applications may not be made until after the test. If you have not received your notice to appear for the written test three days before the date of the test, email us at AdmissionNotices@cs.ny.gov. Please provide your first and last name, address, and the last four digits of your social security number, and we will provide you with the information you need to attend your written test. If you have an issue other than not receiving your admission notice, please contact our office at (518) 474-6470 in the Albany area or toll free at 1-877-697-5627. Please leave a clear concise message and provide your first and last name, last four digits of your social security number and a daytime phone number.
Taking State and Local Examinations Scheduled for the Same Day
If you have applied to take a written test announced by either one or several local jurisdictions (county, town, city) scheduled to be held on the same test date as this written test, you must notify each of the local jurisdictions no later than two weeks before the test date to make arrangements for taking all tests at one test site. All tests will be held at the state examination center. For your convenience, contact information for all local civil service agencies is available on our website at: https://www.cs.ny.gov/jobseeker/local.cfm.
Cell Phones or Electronic/Communication Devices at the Test Site
Do not bring cell phones, beepers, headphones, or any electronic or other communication devices to the test site. The use of such devices at the test site in the test room, hallways, restrooms, building, grounds, or other areas could result in your disqualification.
???Revised Material: 08/14/2018
This announcement is subject to amendment or cancellation without notice. Do not copy it, or post it to any other site, but link to it instead.