New York State Department of Civil Service Announces Examinations Open to All Qualified Individuals
Keyboard Specialist 2
- Written Test To Be Held
- December 06, 2008
- Applications Must Be Submitted or Postmarked By
- October 20, 2008
|Exam Number||Exam Title||Open to Employees of||Salary||Salary Grade|
|35-418||Keyboard Specialist 2||Multiple Agencies||$30,483||G-9|
|36-082||Keyboard Specialist 2 (Spanish Language)||Multiple Agencies||$30,483||G-9|
Interdepartmental Promotion Examination Open To All Qualified Employees of New York State
* The salary received will depend on a number of factors, including the negotiating unit of the position and your salary prior to appointment.
For Promotion in State Departments, Facilities, and Agencies
- Within Promotion Units
- Within Entire Departments
- To Other Departments
On or before December 6, 2008, you must be a qualified employee of New York State and have had three months permanent competitive or 55-b/55-c service as a Keyboard Specialist 1, Keyboard Specialist 1 (Spanish Language), Data Entry Machine Operator, Data Entry Machine Operator (Spanish Language), Law Department Document Specialist Trainee 1 or Trainee 2, or Law Department Document Specialist.
If you were permanently appointed to a qualifying title on or before September 6, 2008, and have served continuously in this title since that date, you are eligible to file for this examination.
Qualifying Experience for Appointment from the Eligible List
After one year of the service described in the Minimum Qualifications, successful candidates will be qualified for appointment from the eligible list.
Subject of Examination
There will be a written test which you must pass in order to be considered for appointment. The written test is designed to test for knowledge, skills, and/or abilities in such areas as:
- Grammar/Usage/Punctuation - The grammar and usage questions test for the ability to apply the basic rules of grammar and usage. The punctuation questions test for a knowledge of the correct placement of punctuation marks in sentences. You will be presented with sets of four sentences from each of which you must choose the sentence that contains a grammatical, usage, or punctuation error.
- Keyboarding practices - These questions test for a knowledge of preferred practices in such areas as letter format, capitalization, hyphenation, plurals, possessives, word division, word and figure style for numbers, and common proofreading marks. In addition, there will be a passage to proofread followed by questions on how to correct the errors in the passage.
- Office record keeping - These questions test your ability to perform common office record keeping tasks. The test consists of two or more "sets" of questions, each set concerning a different problem. Typical record keeping problems might involve the organization or collation of data from several sources; scheduling; maintaining a record system using running balances; or completion of a table summarizing data using totals, subtotals, averages and percents.
- Spelling - These questions test for the ability to spell words that are used in written business communications.
- Supervision - These questions test for knowledge of the principles and practices employed in planning, organizing, and controlling the activities of a work unit toward predetermined objectives. The concepts covered, usually in a situational question format, include such topics as assigning and reviewing work; evaluating performance; maintaining work standards; motivating and developing subordinates; implementing procedural change; increasing efficiency; and dealing with problems of absenteeism, morale, and discipline.
If you pass, your seniority credit(s), if any, will be included in the computation of your final score. Rank on the eligible list will be determined after adding any wartime veterans' credits to your final passing score.
Credit for Seniority
Seniority is credited at the rate of one credit for each five-year period (or fraction thereof), excluding the first year of service.
As a Keyboard Specialist 2, you would either be a working supervisor of a group of Keyboard Specialists 1 or perform difficult and complex clerical processing and records maintenance activities requiring skilled use of keyboarding and information processing equipment and systems. As a supervisor, you would assign work to subordinates, review completed work for neatness and accuracy, train new employees, and maintain desired standards of production. In a non-supervisory position you would perform complicated clerical processing and records maintenance activities using word processing packages, spreadsheets, data base programs, and desktop publishing software. You would design clerical processing procedures, set up and maintain the records for a program, and schedule and coordinate administrative procedures. You may be required to work independently or with minimal supervision.
How To Apply
New York State is an Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of the State of New York to provide for and promote equal opportunity in employment, compensation and other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, religion, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, or arrest and/or criminal conviction record unless based upon a bona fide occupational qualification or other exception.
Most written tests are held on Saturdays. If you cannot take the test on the announced test date, due to a conflict with a religious observance or practice, check the box under “Religious Accommodation.” We will make arrangements for you to take the test on a different date (usually the following day).
Reasonable Accommodations in Testing
In addition, it is the policy of the Department of Civil Service, in accordance with the New York State Human Rights Law and the Americans with Disabilities Act, to provide qualified persons with disabilities equal employment opportunity and equal opportunity to participate in and receive the benefits, services, programs, and activities of the Department. It is the policy of the Department to provide such persons reasonable accommodations and reasonable modifications as are necessary to enjoy equal opportunity. Persons with disabilities who require an accommodation to participate in an examination must note this on their applications. Further information is available from the Special Arrangements Unit of the Department of Civil Service at 518-457-2487 [press 2, then press 2] in the Albany area, toll free at 1-877-697-5627 [press 2, then press 2], or via TDD (telecommunications device for the deaf) at 518-457-8480.
Admission to Examination
Notice to appear for the test may be conditional as review of applications may not be made until after the test. If you have not received your notice to appear for the written test three days before the date of the test, call 518-474-6470 in the Albany area or toll free at 1-877-697-5627 [press 2, then press 1].
Multiple Examinations Scheduled for the Same Day
With the exception of written tests announced by New York City, if you have applied to take a written test announced by a local jurisdiction (county, town, city) scheduled to be held on the same test date as this written test, you must call 518-474-6470 in the Albany area or toll free at 1-877-697-5627 [press 2, then press 1], no later than two weeks before the test date, to make arrangements for taking all tests at one test site. All tests will be held at the state examination center.
Eligibility for Examination
To be eligible to compete in this examination, you must be employed in the specified department or agency on a permanent or contingent permanent basis in the competitive class, or in the non-competitive class or labor class if specifically noted on this announcement (or be on an appropriate preferred list), and have the specified time in the specified title or salary grade. You may not compete in a test for a title if you are permanently employed in that title (unless you are still on probation) or in a higher direct line of promotion.
This announcement is subject to amendment or cancellation without notice. Do not copy it, or post it to any other site, but link to it instead.