Contract Management Specialist 3/4
- Written Test To Be Held
- September 09, 2017
- Applications Must Be Submitted or Postmarked By
- July 26, 2017
|Exam Number||Exam Title||Open to Employees of||Salary||Salary Grade||Non−Refundable Processing Fee (Waivers available)|
|37-887||Contract Management Specialist 3||Multiple Agencies||*||27/M-2||$25|
|37-888||Contract Management Specialist 4||Multiple Agencies||$104,640||M-4||$25|
Interdepartmental promotion examination open to all qualified employees of New York State.
For Promotion in State Departments, Facilities, and Agencies
- Within Promotion Units
- Within Entire Departments
- To Other Departments
On or before September 9, 2017, you must be a qualified employee of New York State and have had two months of permanent competitive or 55-b/55-c service as:
For No. 37-887:
Either A. Contract Management Specialist 2, Supervisor of Contract Administration, Building Construction Contract Analyst, Grants Administrator 2, Purchasing Officer 2, Purchasing Team Leader, Transportation Contract Analyst 2, or Thruway Purchasing Officer 2;
Or B. Senior Purchasing Agent, Assistant Business Officer, or Business Officer 1.
For No. 37-888:
Either A. Contract Management Specialist 3 or Purchasing Officer 3;
Or B. Procurement Manager 1, Assistant Director Division of Purchase, or Business Officer 2.
Only the title(s) listed is qualifying for this examination(s).
If you were permanently appointed to a qualifying title on or before July 9, 2017, and have served continuously in this title since that date, you are eligible to file for this examination.
Qualifying Experience for Appointment from the Eligible List
After one year of the service described in the Minimum Qualifications, successful candidates will be qualified for appointment from the eligible list.
Eligibles who meet the “B” qualifications, and who are subsequently appointed to an “A” title, may request to have their name added to the “A” list, once they have completed the one year of service in the “A” title. The request should be submitted in writing to the NYS Department of Civil Service, Albany, NY 12239; Attention: S-2LSS.
Order of Certification
The order of certification of this eligible list will be:
- Promotion Unit "A" eligibles
- Promotion Unit "All" eligibles
- Department "A" eligibles
- Department "All" eligibles
- Interdepartmental "A" eligibles
- Interdepartmental "All" eligibles
|IMPORTANT: Unless waived, you must pay the non-refundable processing fee. For information on fee waivers, visit https://www.cs.ny.gov/examannouncements/types/oc/appinfo.cfm##Fee. It is important that you verify that you entered the correct examination number and title on your online or paper application prior to submitting. If you apply online, you should immediately review your email confirmation notice to verify that you applied for the correct examination. If you do not receive a confirmation number after submitting your online application, your application was NOT received by the Department of Civil Service. No late applications will be accepted after the filing deadline has passed.|
Subject of Examination
There will be a written test which you must pass in order to be considered for appointment. The written test is designed to test for knowledge, skills, and/or abilities in such areas as:
- Administrative supervision - These questions test for knowledge of the principles and practices involved in directing the activities of a large subordinate staff, including subordinate supervisors. Questions relate to the personal interactions between an upper level supervisor and his/her subordinate supervisors in the accomplishment of objectives. These questions cover such areas as assigning work to and coordinating the activities of several units, establishing and guiding staff development programs, evaluating the performance of subordinate supervisors, and maintaining relationships with other organizational sections. Sample test material for Administrative supervision is available.
- Preparing reports and official documents - These questions test for the ability to prepare reports and other official documents for use within and among governmental agencies, in legal or regulatory settings, or for dissemination to the public. Some questions test for a knowledge of correct grammar, usage, punctuation, and sentence structure. Others test for the ability to use the proper tone and to express information clearly and accurately. Sample test material for Preparing reports and official documents is available.
- Analyzing and evaluating information - These questions test for the ability to analyze, interpret, and draw reasonable conclusions from information presented in text, data, images or symbols. Analysis may involve identifying a significant problem or issue; focusing on relevant data and text; identifying trends, relationships, and significant features; assessing relevant alternatives; suggesting or evaluating possible conclusions; and applying logical principles to information provided. Sample test material for Analyzing and evaluating information is available.
- Effectively interacting with others - These questions test candidates' knowledge of techniques used to interact effectively with a variety of individuals, to provide information about topics of concern, to publicize or clarify agency programs or policies, and to negotiate conflicts or resolve complaints. Sample test material for Effectively interacting with others is available.
- Administrative principles for managers - These questions test for knowledge of the managerial functions involved in directing an organization or an organizational segment. These questions cover such areas as: developing objectives and formulating policies; making decisions based on the context of the administrator's position and authority; forecasting and planning; organizing; developing personnel; coordinating and informing; guiding and leading organizational units; as well as the delegation of authority and responsibility. Sample test material for Administrative principles for managers is available.
If you pass, your seniority credit(s), if any, will be included in the computation of your final score. Rank on the eligible list will be determined after adding any wartime Veterans' credits to your final passing score.
Credit for Seniority
Seniority is credited at the rate of one credit for each five-year period (or fraction thereof), excluding the first year of service.
- Background Investigation/Justice Center Review: The names of all prospective employees will be:
- Checked against the Staff Exclusion List (SEL) maintained by the Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs. Prospective employees whose names appear on the SEL as having been found responsible for serious or repeated acts of abuse or neglect will be barred from appointment and may have their names removed from the eligible list(s) for the title(s);
- Investigated through a Criminal Background Check (CBC). All convictions must be reported. Conviction of a felony or misdemeanor or any falsified or omitted information may bar appointment or result in removal after appointment. Each case will be determined on its own merits, consistent with the applicable provisions of state and federal laws;
- Screened against the Statewide Central Register of Child Abuse and Maltreatment (SCR). Prospective employees whose names appear on the SCR may be barred from appointment. (NY Social Services Law, Section 424a.)
As a Contract Management Specialist 3, you would manage a contract management or contract procurement team to oversee the administration of a wide variety of contracts and contract related activities. You would also supervise Contract Management Specialists 2 in the review of complicated contracts and purchases, Requests for Proposals, Invitation for Bids, Sole/Single Source Procurements and other related financial documents. Illustrative duties might include: direct staff and oversee the submission of procurement documents to the State’s control agencies for final review and approval; oversee the development and maintenance of systems to monitor all contracts for compliance with contract terms and conditions, federal and state laws, rules, regulations, and payment criteria; resolve the more complex and difficult complaints and conflicts regarding contract execution, development, amendments, and fiscal cost reports; develop and implement training programs on procurement procedures and guidelines; and oversee the analysis, goal setting activities, and utilization tracking of Minority and Women-Owned Business Enterprise (MWBE) and Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Business (SDVOB) goals.
As a Contract Management Specialist 4, you would function as a director or assistant director of an agency’s contract management program, or manage at least two functional areas that include multiple contract management or contract procurement teams. You would also supervise Contract Management Specialists 3 in the administration of a wide variety of contracts and contract related activities. Illustrative duties might include: oversee and review the development of procurement policies and procedures; plan and budget for contracting and related program activities for the agency; resolve the most complex and difficult complaints and conflicts regarding contract execution, development, amendments, and fiscal cost reports; direct the development and implementation of training programs on procurement procedures and guidelines; represent the agency on statewide committees or inter-agency workgroups related to procurement or contracting; and oversee and review the procedures for the analysis, goal setting activities, and utilization tracking of Minority and Woman-Owned Business Enterprise (MWBE) and Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Business (SDVOB) goals.
Important: The Department of Civil Service and other state agencies may communicate with you through email correspondence. This may include the notification of your examination results and canvassing you for interest in appointment. It will be important for you to keep your email address, phone number and mailing address current by logging into https://www.cs.ny.gov/home/myaccount.
Test Guide & Sample Test Material
A General Guide to Written Tests is available at http://www.cs.ny.gov/testing/statetestguides.cfm. Sample Test Material for the subject areas described above is also available where indicated and at http://www.cs.ny.gov/testing/sampletestmat.cfm.
How To Apply
If you do not receive a number after submitting your online application, your application was NOT processed.
New York State is an Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of the State of New York to provide for and promote equal opportunity employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without unlawful discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, religion, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, veteran or military service member status, marital status, domestic violence victim status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, or arrest and/or criminal conviction record unless based upon a bona fide occupational qualification or other exception.
Most written tests are held on Saturdays. If you cannot take the test on the announced test date, due to a conflict with a religious observance or practice, check the box under “Religious Accommodation.” We will make arrangements for you to take the test on a different date (usually the following day).
Reasonable Accommodations in Testing
It is the policy of the Department of Civil Service, in accordance with the New York State Human Rights Law and the Americans with Disabilities Act, to provide qualified persons with disabilities equal employment opportunity and equal opportunity to participate in and receive the benefits, services, programs, and activities of the Department. It is the policy of the Department to provide such persons reasonable accommodations and reasonable modifications as are necessary to provide equal opportunity. Persons with disabilities who require an accommodation to participate in an examination must note this on their application. Further information is available from the Test Administration Unit of the Department of Civil Service. In the Albany area, call 518-457-2487. Outside of the Albany area, call toll free at 1-877-697-5627. For TDD services, call NY Relay at 711 (requires a fee) or 1-800-662-1220.
Admission to Examination
Notice to appear for the test may be conditional as review of applications may not be made until after the test. If you have not received your notice to appear for the written test three days before the date of the test, call 518-474 6470 in the Albany area or toll free at 1-877-697-5627.
Multiple Examinations Scheduled for the Same Day
If you have applied to take a written test announced by either one or several local jurisdictions (county, town, city) scheduled to be held on the same test date as this written test, you must notify each of the local jurisdictions no later than two weeks before the test date to make arrangements for taking all tests at one test site. All tests will be held at the state examination center. For your convenience, contact information for all local civil service agencies is available on our website at: http://www.cs.ny.gov/jobseeker/local.cfm
Eligibility for Examination
To be considered a qualified employee eligible to compete in this examination, you must be employed in, or on leave from, the specified department or agency on a permanent or contingent permanent basis in the competitive class, or in the non-competitive class or labor class if specifically noted on this announcement (or be on an appropriate preferred list), and have the specified time in the specified title or salary grade. You may not compete in a test for a title if you are permanently employed in that title (unless you are still on probation) or in a higher direct line of promotion.
Cell Phones or Electronic/Communication Devices at the Test Site
Do not bring cell phones, beepers, headphones, or any electronic or other communication devices to the test site. The use of such devices at the test site in the test room, hallways, restrooms, building, grounds, or other areas could result in your disqualification.
This announcement is subject to amendment or cancellation without notice. Do not copy it, or post it to any other site, but link to it instead.