Motor Vehicle License Examiner
- Written Test To Be Held
- October 13, 2018
- Applications Must Be Submitted or Postmarked By
- August 29, 2018
|Open to Employees of
|Non−Refundable Processing Fee (Waivers available)
|Motor Vehicle License Examiner
|Motor Vehicles, Department of
|IMPORTANT: Unless waived, you must pay the non-refundable processing fee. For information on fee waivers, visit https://www.cs.ny.gov/examannouncements/types/oc/appinfo.cfm##Fee. It is important that you verify that you entered the correct examination number and title on your online or paper application prior to submitting. If you apply online, you should immediately review your email confirmation notice to verify that you applied for the correct examination. If you do not receive a confirmation number after submitting your online application, your application was NOT received by the Department of Civil Service. No late applications will be accepted after the filing deadline has passed.
Seasonal Positions: The majority of Motor Vehicle License Examiner appointments are made on a seasonal basis beginning each spring. Those appointed from the eligible list resulting from the examination will be given first consideration for employment in succeeding seasons, provided they meet the minimum qualifications for appointment, are available and willing to accept employment when offered. After completion of 12 months of seasonal service, you may be offered a full-time, year-round position without further testing.
Promotion examination open to all qualified employees of the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles.
On or before October 13, 2018, you must be a qualified employee of the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles and have had three months of permanent competitive, non-competitive, 55-b/55-c, or labor class* service.
*In accordance with Section 52.11 of the Civil Service Law, individuals serving permanently in the non competitive or labor class in a qualifying title (including those serving under Section 55-b/55-c) who otherwise meet the requirements for taking this examination are eligible to compete in this promotion examination.
If you were permanently appointed to a qualifying title on or before July 13, 2018, and have served continuously in this title since that date, you are eligible to file for this examination.
Qualifying Experience for Appointment from the Eligible List
After one year of the service described in the Minimum Qualifications, successful candidates will be qualified for appointment from the eligible list.
Working Conditions: You would have substantial contact with the public under stressful conditions and may be required to effectively de-escalate tense situations. You would be required to work outdoors, year-round, including during inclement weather and be required to provide your own transportation because the job may involve traveling to various remote assignments and locations where you would be working independently. You must be able to enter and exit the vehicles used in testing throughout the day including commercial vehicles such as tractor trailers, buses, and trucks that require the examiner to climb up into the driving compartment. You would be required to walk around vehicles while carrying a computerized tablet (electronic scoring device), and to position obstacles prior to a road test. You must be able to stand for long periods of time, during and/or between road tests. In order to be successful in these positions, other important traits include: interpersonal skills, friendliness, courtesy, accuracy, teamwork, respect, punctuality, and good attendance.
- This examination is being held on a promotion and open-competitive basis. If you are admitted to the promotion examination under anticipated eligibility (i.e., you do not have the required one year of Qualifying Experience For Appointment From The Eligible List) and if you meet the open-competitive minimum qualifications, you may also be admitted to the open-competitive examination. To be admitted, you must apply for the open-competitive examination according to the instructions given on the open-competitive announcement. Once you meet the required one year of qualifying service for appointment from the promotion list, you will not be eligible for appointment from the open-competitive eligible list.
- These positions exist in the following districts of the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles: Albany, Binghamton, Bronx, Brooklyn, Buffalo, mid-Hudson, Nassau, Queens, Rochester, Staten Island, Suffolk, Syracuse, Utica, and Westchester. Some districts may encompass several counties and some assignments may require periodic overnight travel.
- You must currently have full license privileges to drive an automobile and must have had full continuous license privileges to drive an automobile for the three-year period immediately preceding the date of your appointment from this eligible list and continuously thereafter. Evidence of reckless driving, multiple moving violations, a disregard for New York State Vehicle and Traffic Law, and/or drug or alcohol related offenses, etc. may bar you from appointment. Prior to appointment, you may be required to demonstrate acceptable driving ability. Loss of your driving license will result in suspension or termination of your employment. In addition, your driving record is subject to review at any time. Some positions require that you be assigned a state vehicle which you will be required to use to perform the duties of the position. You must possess a driver???s license valid in New York State at the time of appointment and continuously thereafter.
- Background: Upon appointment, you will be fingerprinted and your background will be investigated. All convictions must be reported and will be considered in making appointments or removal after appointment from this title. Conviction of a misdemeanor, giving false information, or omitting information MAY bar appointment or result in removal after appointment and each case involving these situations will be determined on its own merits, consistent with state and federal laws. In accordance with Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Regulation, 49 CFR ?? 384.228, conviction of a felony within the last 10 years OR any conviction involving fraudulent activity WILL bar appointment or result in removal after appointment to this title.
- Some positions may be created that require Spanish language proficiency. The eligible list created from this examination will be used to fill those positions, and eligibles must demonstrate proficiency in the Spanish language at a level that will ensure their ability to perform properly the duties of the position. If other language parenthetics are established, the list will also be used to fill those positions and appointees must demonstrate their language proficiency.
Subject of Examination
There will be a written test which you must pass in order to be considered for appointment. The written test is designed to test for knowledge, skills, and/or abilities in such areas as:
- Public contact principles and practices - These questions test for knowledge of techniques used to interact with other people, to gather and present information, and to provide assistance, advice, and effective customer service in a courteous and professional manner. Questions will cover such topics as understanding and responding to people with diverse needs, perspectives, personalities, and levels of familiarity with agency operations, as well as acting in a way that both serves the public and reflects well on your agency.
- Evaluating conclusions in light of known facts - These questions will consist of a set of factual statements and a conclusion. You must decide if the conclusion is proved by the facts, disproved by the facts or if the facts are not sufficient to prove or disprove the conclusion. The questions will not be specific to a particular field.
- Applying written information (rules, regulations, policies, procedures, directives, etc.) in Motor Vehicle License Examiner situations - These questions test how well you can apply written information in the form of rules to given situations similar to those typically encountered by Motor Vehicle License Examiners.
If you pass, your seniority credit(s), if any, will be included in the computation of your final score. Rank on the eligible list will be determined after adding any wartime Veterans' credits to your final passing score.
Credit for Seniority
Seniority is credited at the rate of one credit for each five-year period (or fraction thereof), excluding the first year of service.
As a Motor Vehicle License Examiner, you would conduct driving tests for all classes of drivers??? licenses. You would direct applicants through the road test route, evaluate driving performance, verbally inform applicants about their performance during the test, and inform applicants at the conclusion whether they passed or failed the test. In this post-test review, you would cover strong points of the applicant???s driving ability and areas of driving that need improvement, and place appropriate restrictions on the drivers??? licenses, as needed. You must be able to use and maintain a computerized tablet (electronic scoring device). You may be assigned to conduct field investigations of driving schools, private service bureaus, and public carriers, and to prepare written reports of your findings. You would also be assigned to investigate complaints and fraudulent activities surrounding these entities, and may be required to testify at Department hearings.
Important: The Department of Civil Service and other state agencies may communicate with you through email correspondence. This may include the notification of your examination results and canvassing you for interest in appointment. It will be important for you to keep your email address, phone number and mailing address current by logging into https://www.cs.ny.gov/home/myaccount.
How To Apply
If you do not receive a confirmation number after submitting your online application, your application was NOT processed.
New York State is an Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of the State of New York to provide for and promote equal opportunity employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without unlawful discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, religion, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, veteran or military service member status, marital status, domestic violence victim status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, arrest and/or criminal conviction record, or any other category protected by law, unless based upon a bona fide occupational qualification or other exception.
Most written tests are held on Saturdays. If you cannot take the test on the announced test date, due to a conflict with a religious observance or practice, check the box under “Religious Accommodation.” We will make arrangements for you to take the test on a different date (usually the following day).
Reasonable Accommodations in Testing
It is the policy of the Department of Civil Service, in accordance with the New York State Human Rights Law and the Americans with Disabilities Act, to provide qualified persons with disabilities equal employment opportunity and equal opportunity to participate in and receive the benefits, services, programs, and activities of the Department. It is the policy of the Department to provide such persons reasonable accommodations and reasonable modifications as are necessary to provide equal opportunity. Persons with disabilities who require an accommodation to participate in an examination must note this on their application. Further information is available from the Test Administration Unit of the Department of Civil Service. In the Albany area, call 518-457-2487. Outside of the Albany area, call toll free at 1-877-697-5627. For TDD services, call NY Relay at 711 (requires a fee) or 1-800-662-1220.
Admission to Examination
Notice to appear for the test may be conditional as review of applications may not be made until after the test. If you have not received your notice to appear for the written test three days before the date of the test, email us at AdmissionNotices@cs.ny.gov. Please provide your first and last name, address, and the last four digits of your social security number, and we will provide you with the information you need to attend your written test. If you have an issue other than not receiving your admission notice, please contact our office at (518) 474-6470 in the Albany area or toll free at 1-877-697-5627. Please leave a clear concise message and provide your first and last name, last four digits of your social security number and a daytime phone number.
Taking State and Local Examinations Scheduled for the Same Day
If you have applied to take a written test announced by either one or several local jurisdictions (county, town, city) scheduled to be held on the same test date as this written test, you must notify each of the local jurisdictions no later than two weeks before the test date to make arrangements for taking all tests at one test site. All tests will be held at the state examination center. For your convenience, contact information for all local civil service agencies is available on our website at: https://www.cs.ny.gov/jobseeker/local.cfm.
Eligibility for Examination
To be considered a qualified employee eligible to compete in this examination, you must be employed in, or on leave from, the specified department or agency on a permanent or contingent permanent basis in the competitive class, or in the non-competitive class or labor class if specifically noted on this announcement (or be on an appropriate preferred list), and have the specified time in the specified title or salary grade. You may not compete in a test for a title if you are permanently employed in that title (unless you are still on probation) or in a higher direct line of promotion.
Cell Phones or Electronic/Communication Devices at the Test Site
Do not bring cell phones, beepers, headphones, or any electronic or other communication devices to the test site. The use of such devices at the test site in the test room, hallways, restrooms, building, grounds, or other areas could result in your disqualification.
This announcement is subject to amendment or cancellation without notice. Do not copy it, or post it to any other site, but link to it instead.