Program Research Specialist Series
- Written Test To Be Held
- April 30, 2022
You may be assigned to either Saturday or Sunday to take your test. You cannot request or change your scheduled day
- Applications Must Be Submitted or Postmarked By
- March 16, 2022
|Exam Number||Exam Title||Open to Employees of||Salary||Salary Grade||Non−Refundable Processing Fee (Waivers available)|
|38-523||Program Research Specialist 4||Multiple Agencies||$97,826||SG-27||$25|
|38-746||Program Research Specialist 4 (Criminal Justice)||Multiple Agencies||$97,826||SG-27|
|38-747||Program Research Specialist 4 (Economics Finance)||Multiple Agencies||$97,826||SG-27|
|38-748||Program Research Specialist 4 (Health Care Finance)||Multiple Agencies||$97,826||SG-27|
|38-749||Program Research Specialist 4 (Health Systems Analysis)||Multiple Agencies||$97,826||SG-27|
|38-750||Program Research Specialist 4 (Human Services)||Multiple Agencies||$97,826||SG-27|
|38-751||Program Research Specialist 4 (Medical Assistance)||Multiple Agencies||$97,826||SG-27|
|38-752||Program Research Specialist 4 (Public Health)||Multiple Agencies||$97,826||SG27|
|38-753||Program Research Specialist 4 (Transportation)||Multiple Agencies||$97,826||SG-27|
Please be advised that effective December 1, 2021 the New York State Department of Civil Service will have a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination/testing policy for in-person examinations administered at a New York State test center. For more information, you can access the full policy on the Department of Civil Service website.
Due to current testing space limitations, candidates may need to travel to one of the following test sites to take this examination: Albany, Buffalo, Nyack, Port Jefferson, Poughkeepsie, Syracuse, and an additional downstate location. Candidates will be notified of their test site location on their admission notice.
If you previously applied for this examination scheduled for May 16, 2020, which was postponed, you do NOT need to reapply. Your application will be reviewed to determine if you meet the qualifications to take the examination. Additional information will be sent to previous applicants via email.
Interdepartmental promotion examination open to all qualified employees of New York State
For Promotion in State Departments, Facilities, and Agencies
1. Within Promotion Units 2. Within Entire Departments 3. To Other Departments
On or before *April 30, 2022, you must be a qualified employee of New York State and have had two* months of permanent competitive or 55-b/55-c service as follows:
For No. 38-523: Program Research Specialist 3, Program Research Specialist 3 Agricultural, Program Research Specialist 3 Criminal Justice, Program Research Specialist 3 Economics Finance, Program Research Specialist 3 Health Care Finance, Program Research Specialist 3 Health Systems Analysis, Program Research Specialist 3 Human Services, Program Research Specialist 3 Medical Assistance, Program Research Specialist 3 Public Health, Program Research Specialist 3 Transportation.
For No. 38-746:
Either A. Program Research Specialist 3 Criminal Justice;
Or B. Criminal Justice Policy Analyst 2, Principal Criminal Justice Program Research Specialist, or Program Research Specialist 3.
For No. 38-747:
Either A. Program Research Specialist 3 Economics Finance;
Or B. Program Research Specialist 3, Program Research Specialist 3 Agricultural, Program Research Specialist 3 Criminal Justice, Program Research Specialist 3 Health Care Finance, Program Research Specialist 3 Health Systems Analysis, Program Research Specialist 3 Human Services, Program Research Specialist 3 Medical Assistance, Program Research Specialist 3 Public Health, Program Research Specialist 3 Transportation.
**For No. 38-748: Program Research Specialist 3 Health Systems Analysis, Program Research Specialist 3 Medical Assistance, Program Research Specialist 3 Public Health, Program Research Specialist 3 Health Care Finance.
**For No. 38-749: Program Research Specialist 3 Health Care Finance, Program Research Specialist 3 Medical Assistance, Program Research Specialist 3 Public Health, Program Research Specialist 3 Health Systems Analysis.
For No. 38-750:
Either A. Program Research Specialist 3 Human Services;
Or B. Program Research Specialist 3, Program Research Specialist 3 Agricultural, Program Research Specialist 3 Criminal Justice, Program Research Specialist 3 Economics Finance, Program Research Specialist 3 Health Care Finance, Program Research Specialist 3 Health Systems Analysis, Program Research Specialist 3 Medical Assistance, Program Research Specialist 3 Public Health, Program Research Specialist 3 Transportation.
**For No. 38-751: Program Research Specialist 3 Health Care Finance, Program Research Specialist 3 Health Systems Analysis, Program Research Specialist 3 Public Health, Program Research Specialist 3 Medical Assistance.
**For No. 38-752: Program Research Specialist 3 Health Care Finance, Program Research Specialist 3 Health Systems Analysis, Program Research Specialist 3 Medical Assistance, Program Research Specialist 3 Public Health.
For No. 38-753:
Either A. Program Research Specialist 3 Transportation;
Or B. Program Research Specialist 3, Program Research Specialist 3 Agricultural, Program Research Specialist 3 Criminal Justice, Program Research Specialist 3 Economics Finance, Program Research Specialist 3 Health Care Finance, Program Research Specialist 3 Health Systems Analysis, Program Research Specialist 3 Human Services, Program Research Specialist 3 Medical Assistance, Program Research Specialist 3 Public Health.
Only the title or titles listed are qualifying.
If you were permanently appointed to a qualifying title on or before *February 28, 2022, and have served continuously in this title since that date, you are eligible to file for this examination.
Qualifying Experience for Appointment from the Eligible List
After one year of the service described in the Minimum Qualifications, successful candidates will be qualified for appointment from the eligible list.
Eligibles who meet the "B" qualifications, and who are subsequently appointed to an "A" title, may request to have their name added to the "A" list, once they have completed the one year of service in the "A" title. The request should be submitted in writing to the NYS Department of Civil Service, Albany, New York 12239; Attention: S-1KXH.
Order of Certification
The order of certification for eligible lists Nos. 38-746, 38-747, 38-750, and 38-753 will be:
- Promotion Unit "A" eligibles
- Promotion Unit "All" eligibles
- Department "A" eligibles
- Department "All" eligibles
- Interdepartmental "A" eligibles
- Interdepartmental "All" eligibles
- This examination is being held on a promotion and open-competitive basis at the New York State Department of Health only. If you are admitted to the promotion examination under anticipated eligibility (i.e., you do not have the required one year of Qualifying Experience For Appointment From The Eligible List) and if you meet the open-competitive minimum qualifications, you may also be admitted to the open-competitive examination. To be admitted, you must apply for the open-competitive examination according to the instructions given on the open-competitive announcement. Once you meet the required one year of qualifying service for appointment from the promotion list, you will not be eligible for appointment from the open-competitive eligible list.
Background Investigation/Justice Center Review: In some agencies, the names of all prospective employees will be:
- Checked against the Staff Exclusion List (SEL) maintained by the Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs. Prospective employees whose names appear on the SEL as having been found responsible for serious or repeated acts of abuse or neglect will be barred from appointment and may have their names removed from the eligible list(s) for the title(s);
- Investigated through a Criminal Background Check (CBC). All convictions must be reported. Conviction of a felony or misdemeanor or any falsified or omitted information may bar appointment or result in removal after appointment. Each case will be determined on its own merits, consistent with the applicable provisions of state and federal laws;
and may be:
- Screened against the Statewide Central Register of Child Abuse and Maltreatment (SCR). Prospective employees whose names appear on the SCR may be barred from appointment. (NY Social Services Law, Section 424a.)
You will be responsible for payment of all required fees.
- Medicaid and Medicare: In order to be eligible for appointment and to maintain employment, you cannot be listed as an excluded individual or entity on any of the Federal and/or State Medicaid and Medicare exclusion lists (or excluded from any other Federal or Federally assisted program). If you are appointed and subsequently listed as an excluded individual or entity on any of these lists (or excluded from any other Federal or Federally assisted program), you may be terminated from your employment.
As a Program Research Specialist 4, including parenthetics, you would be responsible for managing and directing one of the State's largest research analysis and evaluation teams, with levels of subordinate supervisory staff, in support of complex program activities of an agency or a major division of an agency.
Subject of Examination
There will be a written test which you must pass in order to be considered for appointment. The written test is designed to test for knowledge, skills, and/or abilities in such areas as:
- Understanding and Interpreting Tabular Material - These questions test your ability to understand, analyze, and use the internal logic of data presented in tabular form. You may be asked to perform tasks such as completing tables, drawing conclusions from them, analyzing data trends or interrelationships, and revising or combining data sets. The concepts of rate, ratio, and proportion are tested. Mathematical operations are simple, and computational speed is not a major factor in the test. You should bring with you a hand-held battery- or solar-powered calculator for use on this test. You will not be permitted to use the calculator function of your cell phone.
- Preparing Reports and Official Documents - These questions test for the ability to prepare reports and other official documents for use within and among governmental agencies, in legal or regulatory settings, or for dissemination to the public. Some questions test for a knowledge of grammar, usage, punctuation, and sentence structure. Others test for the ability to present information clearly and accurately, to use the proper tone, and to organize paragraphs logically and comprehensibly.
- Descriptive and Inferential Statistics - These questions test for knowledge of statistical methods and techniques and their application. The questions will cover such areas as central tendency and variability, the normal distribution, hypothesis testing, statistical significance testing, probability, correlation and regression, parametric and nonparametric statistics, and analysis of variance. The questions are primarily conceptual, but you may be required to do some manipulation of data.
- Administrative supervision - These questions test for knowledge of the principles and practices involved in directing the activities of a large subordinate staff, including subordinate supervisors. Questions relate to the personal interactions between an upper level supervisor and his/her subordinate supervisors in the accomplishment of objectives. These questions cover such areas as assigning work to and coordinating the activities of several units, establishing and guiding staff development programs, evaluating the performance of subordinate supervisors, and maintaining relationships with other organizational sections.
- Ensuring Effective Inter/Intra Agency Communications - These questions test for understanding of techniques for interacting effectively with individuals and agencies, to educate and inform them about topics of concern, to clarify agency programs or policies, to negotiate conflicts or resolve complaints, and to represent one's agency or program in a manner in keeping with good public relations practices. Questions may also cover interacting with the staff of one's own agency and/or that of other agencies in cooperative efforts of public outreach or service.
- Research and Experimental Design - These questions test for knowledge of the concepts and techniques involved in the collection and interpretation of data, and the design and implementation of research studies. The questions cover such areas as sampling theory and methods, survey methods, and research and experimental design concepts. You will not be required to do any substantial manipulation of data.
If you pass, your seniority credit(s), if any, will be included in the computation of your final score. Your final score on the eligible list will be determined after adding any wartime Veterans' credits.
Credit for Seniority
Seniority is credited at the rate of one credit for each five-year period (or fraction thereof), excluding the first year of service.
SELECTIVE CERTIFICATION: Approved applicants will have an opportunity to complete an online education and experience questionnaire that will be used for all titles on this announcement. Information provided on the questionnaire is subject to verification and may be used to qualify candidates for positions requiring specific education and experience beyond the minimum qualifications. Approved applicants will receive, via email, information about the process of completing the online questionnaire and when it will be available. It is very important that you provide an up-to-date email address on your application as you will receive important communication via email. All approved candidates are encouraged to complete the questionnaire to maximize opportunities for appointment; only candidates who complete the questionnaire and receive a passing score on the written examination will be considered for positions being filled using selective certification. This questionnaire will NOT be scored and must be completed within the required time period specified in the email. Your final score for the Program Research Specialist examination is based only on the written test. Names of candidates who pass the examination, but do not complete this questionnaire, will appear on the general eligible list only.
CERTIFICATION OF ELIGIBLE LISTS: When filling vacancies, agencies will have two options. One option is to request a general certification of the eligible list which will include all candidates, by score, in the order of certification: (1) within promotion units, (2) within entire Departments, or (3) to other Departments. Or, if it is determined that specific education and experience, beyond the minimum qualifications, are required for a position; agencies have the option to request a selective certification of the eligible list (see above). The selective certification will filter the results of the written test based on the responses to the online questionnaire. The selective certification will contain only the names of candidates who meet the specialized requirements, ranked by score, in the same order of certification described above. Final scores are based on the results of the written test only.
Note: The Department of Civil Service may administer tests either online or with paper booklets and answer sheets. Online tests may be administered using Remote Proctoring. The announcement will indicate if remote proctoring is being offered. Information on remote proctoring is available on our website at:www.cs.ny.gov/testing/remote-proctoring.cfm.
Admission to the Test: If approved, you will receive an admission notice which will indicate your assigned test date and the way your test will be administered. Your test may be administered with paper and pencil, online at a state test site using a State-provided Chromebook, or online at home on your personal equipment using Remote Proctoring Software. You cannot request to change your scheduled day or request a specific type of test administration.
Applicants are required to have a Personal NY.gov account and keep their email address up to date. The Department of Civil Service and other state agencies will communicate with you through email correspondence. This may include the notification of your test arrangements, examination results, and canvassing you for interest in appointment. It will be important for you to keep your email address, phone number, and mailing address current by logging into https://www.cs.ny.gov/home/myaccount.
How To Apply
|Important: Unless waived, you must pay the non-refundable processing fee. For information on fee waivers, visit https://www.cs.ny.gov/examannouncements/types/oc/appinfo.cfm##Fee. Any past due application processing fees must be paid in full prior to submitting an application. Please email FeeUnitMail@cs.ny.gov regarding inquiries about any past due fee. It is important that you verify that you entered the correct examination number and title on your online or paper application prior to submitting. If you apply online, you should immediately review your email confirmation notice to verify that you applied for the correct examination.|
New York State is an Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of the State of New York to provide for and promote equal opportunity employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without unlawful discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, religion, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, veteran or military service member status, marital status, domestic violence victim status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, arrest and/or criminal conviction record, or any other category protected by law, unless based upon a bona fide occupational qualification or other exception.
Most written tests are held on Saturdays. If you cannot take the test on the announced test date, due to a conflict with a religious observance or practice, check the box under “Religious Accommodation.” We will make arrangements for you to take the test on a different date (usually the following day).
Reasonable Accommodations in Testing
It is the policy of the Department of Civil Service, in accordance with the New York State Human Rights Law and the Americans with Disabilities Act, to provide qualified persons with disabilities equal employment opportunity and equal opportunity to participate in and receive the benefits, services, programs, and activities of the Department. It is the policy of the Department to provide such persons reasonable accommodations and reasonable modifications as are necessary to provide equal opportunity. Persons with disabilities who require an accommodation to participate in an examination must note this on their application. Further information is available from the Test Administration Unit of the Department of Civil Service. In the Albany area, call 518-457-2487. Outside of the Albany area, call toll free at 1-877-697-5627. For TDD services, call NY Relay at 711 (requires a fee) or 1-800-662-1220.
Individuals who apply to take an in-person Civil Service examination and who wish to request an exemption to the Department's COVID-19 vaccination/testing policy due to a medical reason or sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance, must check the box on the application under "Other Accommodations" and will be required to provide appropriate documentation. Candidates granted an exemption will be offered the opportunity to take the examination via Remote Proctoring - a secure, web-based test delivery method that uses professional test proctors and technology to monitor applicants using a web camera as they complete an examination.
Admission to Examination
Notice to appear for the test may be conditional as review of applications may not be made until after the test. If you have not received your notice to appear for the written test three days before the date of the test, email us at AdmissionNotices@cs.ny.gov. Please provide your first and last name, address, and the last four digits of your social security number, and we will provide you with the information you need to attend your written test. If you have an issue other than not receiving your admission notice, please contact our office at (518) 474-6470 in the Albany area or toll free at 1-877-697-5627. Please leave a clear concise message and provide your first and last name, last four digits of your social security number and a daytime phone number.
Taking State and Local Examinations Scheduled for the Same Day
If you have applied to take a written test announced by either one or several local jurisdictions (county, town, city) scheduled to be held on the same test date as this written test, you must notify each of the local jurisdictions no later than two weeks before the test date to make arrangements for taking all tests at one test site. All tests will be held at the state examination center. For your convenience, contact information for all local civil service agencies is available on our website at: https://www.cs.ny.gov/jobseeker/local.cfm.
Eligibility for Examination
To be considered a qualified employee eligible to compete in this examination, you must be employed in, or on leave from, the specified department or agency on a permanent or contingent permanent basis in the competitive class, or in the non-competitive class or labor class if specifically noted on this announcement (or be on an appropriate preferred list), and have the specified time in the specified title or salary grade. You may not compete in a test for a title if you are permanently employed in that title (unless you are still on probation) or in a higher direct line of promotion.
Cell Phones or Electronic/Communication Devices at the Test Site
The use of cell phones, beepers, headphones, or any electronic or other communication devices at your personal testing site or in the test room, hallways, restrooms, building, grounds, or other areas, except as expressly authorized by the Department of Civil Service, could result in your disqualification.
*Revised Material: 3/2/22
**Omitted Material: 3/2/22
This announcement is subject to amendment or cancellation without notice. Do not copy it, or post it to any other site, but link to it instead.