Assistant Director Information Technology Services 2
- Written Test To Be Held
- April 25, 2020
You may be assigned to either Saturday or Sunday.
Please refer to the information below.
- Applications Must Be Submitted or Postmarked By
- March 11, 2020
|Exam Number||Exam Title||Open to Employees of||Salary||Salary Grade||Non−Refundable Processing Fee (Waivers available)|
|38-706||Assistant Director Information Technology Services 2||Multiple Agencies||$122,092||M-5||$25|
|38-707||Director Information Technology Services 2||Multiple Agencies||$122,092||M-5|
|38-708||Director Information Technology Services 3||Multiple Agencies||$135,179||M-6||$25|
|You may be assigned to either Saturday or Sunday to take your test. The Department of Civil Service reserves the right to administer tests either online or with paper booklets and answer sheets. Your admission notice will tell you whether your test will be administered online. You cannot request a day in advance or change your scheduled day.|
|IMPORTANT: Unless waived, you must pay the non-refundable processing fee. For information on fee waivers, visit https://www.cs.ny.gov/examannouncements/types/oc/appinfo.cfm##Fee. It is important that you verify that you entered the correct examination number and title on your online or paper application prior to submitting. If you apply online, you should immediately review your email confirmation notice to verify that you applied for the correct examination. If you do not receive a confirmation number after submitting your online application, your application was NOT received by the Department of Civil Service. No late applications will be accepted after the filing deadline has passed.|
Interdepartmental promotion examination open to all qualified employees of New York State
For Promotion in State Departments, Facilities, and Agencies
1. Within Promotion Units 2. Within Entire Departments 3. To Other Departments
On or before March 11, 2020, you must be a qualified employee of New York State and have permanent competitive or 55-b/55-c services as follows:
For Nos. 38-706 and 38-707: as a Manager Information Technology Services 2, Manager Information Technology Services 2 (Technical), Assistant Director Information Technology Services 1, Assistant Director Information Technology Technical Services 1, or Director Information Technology Services 1.
For No. 38-708: as an Assistant Director Information Technology Services 1, Assistant Director Information Technology Technical Services 1, Director Information Technology Services 1, Assistant Director Information Technology Services 2, or Director Information Technology Services 2.
Only the title or titles listed are qualifying.
If you were permanently appointed to a qualifying title on or before March 11, 2020, and have served continuously in this title since that date, you are eligible to file for this examination.
Qualifying Experience for Appointment from the Eligible List
After one year of the service described in the Minimum Qualifications, successful candidates will be qualified for appointment from the eligible list.
CERTIFICATION OF ELIGIBLE LISTS: When filling vacancies, agencies will have two options. One option is to request a general certification of the eligible list which will include all candidates, by score, in the order of certification: (1) within promotion units, (2) within entire Departments, or (3) to other Departments. Or, if it is determined that specific education and experience, beyond the minimum qualifications are required for a position, agencies have the option to request a selective certification of the eligible list in the same order of certification described above. The SELECTIVE CERTIFICATION will filter the results of the written test based on the responses to the online questionnaire. The selective certification will contain only the names of candidates who meet the specialized requirements, ranked by score, in the same order of certification described above. Final scores are based on the results of the written test only.
SELECTIVE CERTIFICATION: Approved applicants will have an opportunity to complete one online education and experience questionnaire that will be used for all titles on this announcement. Information provided on the questionnaire is subject to verification and may be used to qualify candidates for positions requiring specific education and experience beyond the minimum qualifications. Approved applicants will receive, via email, information about the process of completing the online questionnaire and when it will be available. It is very important that you provide an up-to-date email address on your application as you will receive important communication via email,including any potential opportunities to update the online education and experience questionnaire. The Department of Civil Service may update the items in the selective certification questionnaire during the life of these eligible lists. All approved candidates are encouraged to complete the questionnaire to maximize opportunities for appointment; only candidates who complete the questionnaire and receive a passing score on the written examination will be considered for positions being filled through the use of selective certification. The validity of your information will be verified. This questionnaire will NOT be scored and must be completed within the required time period specified in the email. Final scores for these examinations are based only on the written test. Names of candidates who pass the examination, but do not complete this questionnaire, will appear on certifications of the general eligible list only.
- One $25 non-refundable processing fee is required per application submission. For examination Nos. 38-706 and 38-707, you must select the individual examination(s) you are interested in during the application process. For example, you may apply for both examinations listed and pay one $25 fee if processed during one online transaction. If you submit one online application for one examination, and subsequently apply for the additional examination, another $25 non-refundable processing fee will be required.
- You will not be scored for any examination for which you did not apply.
Subject of Examination
There will be a written test which you must pass in order to be considered for appointment. The written test is designed to test for knowledge, skills, and/or abilities in such areas as:
- Administration - These questions test for knowledge of the managerial functions involved in directing an organization or an organizational segment. These questions cover such areas as: developing objectives and formulating policies; making decisions based on the context of the administrator's position and authority; forecasting and planning, including succession planning; organizing; developing personnel; coordinating and informing; guiding and leading; testing and evaluating; and budgeting.
- Administrative supervision - These questions test for knowledge of the principles and practices involved in directing the activities of a large subordinate staff, including subordinate supervisors. Questions relate to the personal interactions between an upper level supervisor and his/her subordinate supervisors in the accomplishment of objectives. These questions cover such areas as assigning work to and coordinating the activities of several units, establishing and guiding staff development programs, evaluating the performance of subordinate supervisors, and maintaining relationships with other organizational sections.
- Preparing reports and official documents - These questions test for the ability to prepare reports and other official documents for use within and among governmental agencies, in legal or regulatory settings, or for dissemination to the public. Some questions test for a knowledge of grammar, usage, punctuation, and sentence structure. Others test for the ability to present information clearly and accurately, to use the proper tone, and to organize paragraphs logically and comprehensibly.
- Project Management - These questions test for the primary project management knowledge areas across all phases of the project management life cycle. The major project management knowledge areas are: Integration Management, Scope Management , Time Management, Cost Management, Quality Management, Human Resources Management, Communications Management, Risk Management, and Procurement Management. The phases of the project management life cycle are: Origination, Initiation, Planning, Execution and Control, and Closeout. These questions may also include activity definition and sequencing, cost estimating and tracking, schedule tracking, change control, stakeholder identification and management, quality planning, communications planning, risk identification, and risk monitoring.
- Strategic planning, fiscal analysis, management of budgets and contracts - These questions test for the ability to organize and develop long range information technology plans that align the IT organization with the agency mission and the strategic goals and initiatives of key program management leaders of an agency. Knowledge of the agency's budget process, managing the fiscal and vendor relationship aspects of contracts and state procurement guidelines are key knowledge areas. Questions will cover such things as assigning relative priorities to budget items; determining the consequences of funding at lower levels than requested; writing budget proposals and justifications; controlling expenditures and managing contracts and vendors. Also included are: negotiating work plans and budgets; monitoring and tracking contract completion; reviewing and approving contract payments; managing grants; preparing RFPs (Request for Proposal) and RFIs (Request for Information); and evaluating proposals and applications.
If you pass, your seniority credit(s), if any, will be included in the computation of your final score. Rank on the eligible list will be determined after adding any wartime Veterans' credits to your final passing score.
Credit for Seniority
Seniority is credited at the rate of one credit for each five-year period (or fraction thereof), excluding the first year of service.
As an Assistant Director Information Technology Services 2, you would typically function under the direction of a Director Information Technology Services 3, M-6, in managing the daily operations. You may oversee the application programs and/or IT technical specialty programs of the IT organization such as operations and networks with multi-agency impact.
As a Director Information Technology Services 2, you would manage and direct the IT operations of medium or large IT shops.
As a Director Information Technology Services 3, you would manage and direct the most complex IT organizations and would be responsible for managing and directing overall IT operations.
Important: The Department of Civil Service and other state agencies may communicate with you through email correspondence. This may include the notification of your examination results and canvassing you for interest in appointment. It will be important for you to keep your email address, phone number and mailing address current by logging into https://www.cs.ny.gov/home/myaccount.
How To Apply
New York State is an Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of the State of New York to provide for and promote equal opportunity employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without unlawful discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, religion, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, veteran or military service member status, marital status, domestic violence victim status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, arrest and/or criminal conviction record, or any other category protected by law, unless based upon a bona fide occupational qualification or other exception.
Most written tests are held on Saturdays. If you cannot take the test on the announced test date, due to a conflict with a religious observance or practice, check the box under “Religious Accommodation.” We will make arrangements for you to take the test on a different date (usually the following day).
Reasonable Accommodations in Testing
It is the policy of the Department of Civil Service, in accordance with the New York State Human Rights Law and the Americans with Disabilities Act, to provide qualified persons with disabilities equal employment opportunity and equal opportunity to participate in and receive the benefits, services, programs, and activities of the Department. It is the policy of the Department to provide such persons reasonable accommodations and reasonable modifications as are necessary to provide equal opportunity. Persons with disabilities who require an accommodation to participate in an examination must note this on their application. Further information is available from the Test Administration Unit of the Department of Civil Service. In the Albany area, call 518-457-2487. Outside of the Albany area, call toll free at 1-877-697-5627. For TDD services, call NY Relay at 711 (requires a fee) or 1-800-662-1220.
Admission to Examination
Notice to appear for the test may be conditional as review of applications may not be made until after the test. If you have not received your notice to appear for the written test three days before the date of the test, email us at AdmissionNotices@cs.ny.gov. Please provide your first and last name, address, and the last four digits of your social security number, and we will provide you with the information you need to attend your written test. If you have an issue other than not receiving your admission notice, please contact our office at (518) 474-6470 in the Albany area or toll free at 1-877-697-5627. Please leave a clear concise message and provide your first and last name, last four digits of your social security number and a daytime phone number.
Taking State and Local Examinations Scheduled for the Same Day
If you have applied to take a written test announced by either one or several local jurisdictions (county, town, city) scheduled to be held on the same test date as this written test, you must notify each of the local jurisdictions no later than two weeks before the test date to make arrangements for taking all tests at one test site. All tests will be held at the state examination center. For your convenience, contact information for all local civil service agencies is available on our website at: https://www.cs.ny.gov/jobseeker/local.cfm.
Eligibility for Examination
To be considered a qualified employee eligible to compete in this examination, you must be employed in, or on leave from, the specified department or agency on a permanent or contingent permanent basis in the competitive class, or in the non-competitive class or labor class if specifically noted on this announcement (or be on an appropriate preferred list), and have the specified time in the specified title or salary grade. You may not compete in a test for a title if you are permanently employed in that title (unless you are still on probation) or in a higher direct line of promotion.
Cell Phones or Electronic/Communication Devices at the Test Site
Do not bring cell phones, beepers, headphones, or any electronic or other communication devices to the test site. The use of such devices at the test site in the test room, hallways, restrooms, building, grounds, or other areas could result in your disqualification.
This announcement is subject to amendment or cancellation without notice. Do not copy it, or post it to any other site, but link to it instead.