Message for Wartime Veterans and Members of the Armed Forces
For generations, men and women across New York State have served in the Armed Forces and Reserves to protect the rights and freedom of all New Yorkers. New York State is proud to offer benefits to qualified Wartime Veterans and Disabled Veterans who would like to build or further a public service career with New York State or a local government in New York State. These benefits can include:
- Additional credits on civil service examinations for original appointment or on promotional examinations for current employees;
- Preference in retention;
- Tenure protection for certain employees;
- Credit for military service for positions where a maximum age limit is imposed upon candidates for examination (certain police positions);
Current New York State and local government employees and other candidates who are members of the Armed Forces, including the Reserve Armed Forces and National Guard, may be entitled to receive:
- Leave from their public employer to perform ordered military duty in the service of New York State or the United States, including leave with pay, supplemental paid leave, and family health care benefits (Subject to negotiated agreements; May vary by appointing authority);
- Opportunities to apply for and compete in open competitive and promotional civil service examinations missed due to military duty;
- Special eligible list status for successful examination candidates.
The New York State Department of Civil Service administers the 55-c Program provides career opportunities for qualified disabled veterans outside of the competitive examination process.
To learn more about opportunities in public service with New York State or local governments in New York State, please visit our Job Seekers section.