New York State Department of Civil Service Announces Examinations Open to All Qualified Individuals
- Applications Accepted
- Tests To Be Held
|Exam Number||Exam Title||Salary||Salary Grade||Non−Refundable Processing Fee (Waivers available)|
|IMPORTANT: Unless waived, you must pay the non-refundable processing fee. For information on fee waivers, visit https://www.cs.ny.gov/examannouncements/types/oc/appinfo.cfm##Fee. It is important that you verify that you entered the correct examination number and title on your online or paper application prior to submitting. If you apply online, you should immediately review your email confirmation notice to verify that you applied for the correct examination. If you do not receive a confirmation number after submitting your online application, your application was NOT received by the Department of Civil Service. No late applications will be accepted after the filing deadline has passed.|
Appointees who work in the five boroughs of New York City or in Nassau, Suffolk, Rockland, or Westchester Counties will receive an additional $3,026 annual downstate adjustment. Appointees who work in Dutchess, Orange, or Putnam Counties will receive an additional $1,513 annual mid-Hudson adjustment.
On or before the date of filing your application, you must have:
|Either 1:||current registration with the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR) as a Registered Dietitian (RD).
You must indicate your RD registration number on your application.
|Or 2:||your New York State Education Department (NYSED) certification in dietetics-nutrition
AND have completed a minimum of an additional 400 hours* of supervised dietetics practice under the supervision of a RD.
You must indicate your NYSED certification in dietetics-nutrition number on your application.
* If you are qualifying under #2, the additional 400 hours required is in addition to the 800 hours of supervised dietetics practice under the supervision of an RD required for NYSED certification. On your application you must provide the name of the institution where you obtained the additional hours; the name of your supervisor; and your supervisor's qualifications.
Information on requirements for certification in dietetics-nutrition should be directed to the New York State Education Department, Office of the Professions, Division of Professional Licensing Services, Dietetics Nutrition Unit, 89 Washington Avenue, Albany, New York 12234-1000; 518-474-3817, ext. 270; or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Questions regarding Registered Dietitians should be directed to the Commission on Dietetic Registration, Credentialing Agency for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 120 South Riverside Plaza, Suite 2000, Chicago, Illinois 60606-6995; Phone: 312 899 0040 Ext. 5500; Toll Free: 800-877-1600 Ext. 5500; Email: email@example.com.
- Credentials will be reviewed at the time of interview.
- Background Investigation/Justice Center Review: In some agencies, the names of all prospective employees will be:
- Checked against the Staff Exclusion List (SEL) maintained by the Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs. Prospective employees whose names appear on the SEL as having been found responsible for serious or repeated acts of abuse or neglect will be barred from appointment and may have their names removed from the eligible list(s) for the title(s);
- Investigated through a Criminal Background Check (CBC). All convictions must be reported. Conviction of a felony or misdemeanor or any falsified or omitted information may bar appointment or result in removal after appointment. Each case will be determined on its own merits, consistent with the applicable provisions of state and federal laws;
- Screened against the Statewide Central Register of Child Abuse and Maltreatment (SCR). Prospective employees whose names appear on the SCR may be barred from appointment.
- Medicaid and Medicare: In order to be eligible for appointment and to maintain employment, you cannot be listed as an excluded individual or entity on any of the Federal and/or State Medicaid and Medicare exclusion lists (or excluded from any other Federal or Federally assisted program). If you are appointed and subsequently listed as an excluded individual or entity on any of these lists (or excluded from any other Federal or Federally assisted program), you may be terminated from your employment.
- If appointed you may be required to become an enrolled Medicare provider; obtain and provide to your employer a National Provider Identifier (NPI) number issued by the National Plan and Provider Enumeration System (NPPES); and otherwise actively participate to the degree necessary to allow for your services to be billed through Medicare and Medicaid. If you are appointed and are required to become a Medicare Provider and lose the ability to bill through Medicare and Medicaid, you may be terminated from your employment.
- Travel Requirements: Appointment to certain positions may require extensive travel within a designated area of assignment. Appointees to these positions may be required to operate a motor vehicle or otherwise demonstrate their capacity to meet the transportation needs of the job. If the position requires that you operate a motor vehicle, you must possess a driver's license valid in New York State at the time of appointment and continuously thereafter. Field work and travel expenses are reimbursed on a fixed schedule.
- You may file for this examination only once every 12 months.
- You may file for this examination by completing the examination application NYS-APP form or applying on the Internet. Unless you are eligible for a fee waiver, the indicated processing fee must be submitted.
- Appropriate part-time and volunteer experience, which can be verified, will be accepted on a prorated basis.
- New York State residence is not required.
These positions exist in various agencies throughout the state. The majority of the positions exist in the facilities of the New York State Office of Mental Health and New York State Office for People With Developmental Disabilities. Positions also exist in the New York State Department of Health at Helen Hayes Hospital; Veterans' Homes at Oxford; New York City; Batavia and Montrose, at New York State School for the Blind and the New York State Department of Corrections and Community Supervision.
As a Dietitian 2, you would be a member of an interdisciplinary team and provide Medical Nutrition Therapy which may include consulting with physicians on nutrition support requests; planning and supervising the preparation of special diets and menus; maintaining safe and sanitary conditions; and training or assisting individuals, families and staff to plan specialized and therapeutic nutrition care plans. You may have oversight responsibility in the service of food; assist in the instruction of students or nutrition interns in Medical Nutrition Therapy and food preparation techniques, supervise dietetic interns and technicians; and/or supervise a small food preparation service unit.
Subject of Examination
There will be no written test. If you meet the Minimum Qualifications your education and experience will be evaluated against the general background/critical activities of the position. This evaluation will concentrate on the specific information you provide about your education and experience. Therefore, it is important that the information on your application be complete and accurate. It is essential that you describe your education and experience as completely as possible on the examination application NYS-APP form. Ambiguity, vagueness or omissions will not be decided in your favor. Do NOT send resumes. If you need more space, attach additional 8 1/2" x 11" sheets, following the same format used on the application form.
Special Note: When completing your application form, be sure to include:
- Any Accredited Dietetic Internship; Accredited Coordinated Undergraduate Program or Pre professional Practice Program approved by the Commission on Accreditation/Approval for Dietetics Education you have completed, AND
- If applicable, the date your certification/registration was first issued, AND
- Any types of degrees and majors you have received from a regionally accredited college or university or one recognized by the NYS Education Department as following acceptable education practices.
Your degree must have been awarded by a college or university accredited by a regional, national, or specialized agency recognized as an accrediting agency by the U.S. Department of Education/U.S. Secretary of Education. If your degree was awarded by an educational institution outside the United States and its territories, you must provide independent verification of equivalency. You can write to the Examination Information Desk of the NYS Department of Civil Service for a list of acceptable companies who provide this service. This information can also be found on the Internet at http://www.cs.ny.gov/jobseeker/degrees.cfm. You must pay the required evaluation fee. If you are applying on the Internet, you must mail the independent verification of equivalency to the New York State Department of Civil Service, Albany, New York 12239. Attention: S1BLM.
Your final score must be 70 or higher in order to pass. Rank on the eligible list will be determined after adding any wartime veterans' and Civil Service Law Section 85-a credits to your final passing score.
How To Apply
You Can Also
- Download examination application NYS-APP form; or
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to request NYS-APP forms; or
- Obtain an NYS-APP form from a State agency or facility personnel/business office; or
- Request NYS-APP form by calling the Department of Civil Service in the Albany area at 518-457-2487 or toll free at 1-877-697-5627.
The NYS Department of Civil Service reserves the right to reject for lateness or to accept applications filed after the advertised filing period. All statements you make on your application are subject to investigation.
State agencies have an ongoing need for persons qualified for appointment to these positions. Therefore, the Department of Civil Service will accept applications continuously and tests are held periodically. For information about this examination, write to the NYS Department of Civil Service, c/o Staffing Section 1, Albany, NY 12239; or call (518) 473-6077.
Qualified candidates may file as frequently as once per year, but a new application is required each time.
New York State is an Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of the State of New York to provide for and promote equal opportunity employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without unlawful discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, religion, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, veteran or military service member status, marital status, domestic violence victim status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, arrest and/or criminal conviction record, or any other category protected by law, unless based upon a bona fide occupational qualification or other exception.
Appointment to many positions in State government require candidates to undergo an investigative screening. This may include a thorough character investigation, a Federal Bureau of Investigation Criminal Record History Check, a Child Abuse Registry clearance, or other similar procedures. Candidates may be fingerprinted and may be required to pay any necessary fees for that procedure. Depending on the nature of the job, the criminal convictions discovered, or any falsified or omitted information revealed, the investigative findings may bar appointment or result in removal after appointment.
Eligibility for Employment
You must be legally eligible to work in the United States at the time of appointment and throughout your employment with New York State. If appointed, you must produce documents that establish your identity and eligibility to work in the United States, as required by the federal Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, and the Immigration and Nationality Act.
Reasonable Accommodations in Testing
It is the policy of the Department of Civil Service, in accordance with the New York State Human Rights Law and the Americans with Disabilities Act, to provide qualified persons with disabilities equal employment opportunity and equal opportunity to participate in and receive the benefits, services, programs, and activities of the Department. It is the policy of the Department to provide such persons reasonable accommodations and reasonable modifications as are necessary to provide equal opportunity. Persons with disabilities who require an accommodation to participate in an examination must note this on their application. Further information is available from the Test Administration Unit of the Department of Civil Service. In the Albany area, call 518-457-2487. Outside of the Albany area, call toll free at 1-877-697-5627. For TDD services, call NY Relay at 711 (requires a fee) or 1-800-662-1220.
Individuals who apply to take an in-person Civil Service examination and who wish to request an exemption to the Department's COVID-19 vaccination/testing policy due to a medical reason or sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance, must check the box on the application under "Other Accommodations" and will be required to provide appropriate documentation. Candidates granted an exemption will be offered the opportunity to take the examination via Remote Proctoring - a secure, web-based test delivery method that uses professional test proctors and technology to monitor applicants using a web camera as they complete an examination.
New York State Residence Is Not Required For Most Positions
However, you must be eligible for employment in the United States.
Continuous Recruitment/Eligible Lists
Candidates who meet the qualifications and pass this examination will have their names placed on the eligible list in the order of final scores, regardless of the date on which they filed or took the test. Generally, the names of qualified candidates will remain on the eligible list for two years. Appeal of ratings will not be allowed as the opportunity for retest exists. The Department of Civil Service reserves the right to terminate this special recruitment program.
This announcement is subject to amendment or cancellation without notice. Do not copy it, or post it to any other site, but link to it instead.