New York State Department of Civil Service announces Continuous Recruitment Examination Open to All Qualified Individuals
Medical Office Assistant
- Applications Accepted
- Tests To Be Held
|Exam Number||Exam Title||Salary Grade||Salary||Job Rate|
|20-658||MEDICAL OFFICE ASSISTANT||8||$30,928||$38,089|
THE LIST RESULTING FROM THIS EXAMINATION WILL BE USED FOR VACANCIES AT THE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH'S HELEN HAYES HOSPITAL IN WEST HAVERSTRAW, SUNY UPSTATE MEDICAL UNIVERSITY, SUNY COLLEGE AT BUFFALO, AND SUNY PLATTSBURGH.
Appointees who work in the five boroughs of New York City or in Nassau, Suffolk, Rockland, or Westchester Counties will receive an additional $3,026 annual downstate adjustment.
On or before the date of filing your application, you must have:
- completion of an approved Medical Assistant Program (see Note 3) which is a minimum of one year in duration; OR
- completion of an approved Medical Assistant Program (see Note 3) which is less than one year in duration AND post Medical Assistant Program experience in a clinical/health care setting that together equals at least one year;
- license, limited permit, or eligible for a limited permit to practice as a Practical Nurse in New York State or Licensed Practical Nurse certification.
- Appropriate part-time and volunteer experience, which can be verified, will be accepted on a prorated basis.
- New York State residence is not required.
- Your program must be accredited through the New York State Education Department (either as a higher educational institution or through the Bureau of Proprietary School Supervision), the Commission of Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) or the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education (ABHES). If your education in this field is from an institution outside the United States, you must provide independent verification of equivalency. You can write to the Examination Information Desk of the Department of Civil Service for a list of acceptable companies who provide this service. You are responsible for the evaluation fee.
The majority of the positions are located at the SUNY Upstate Medical University. There are two positions at the Department of Health's Helen Hayes Hospital in West Haverstraw, one position at SUNY College at Buffalo, and one position at SUNY Plattsburgh.
As a Medical Office Assistant, you would perform clinical, laboratory, and clerical support activities. Duties would include, but not necessarily be limited to: preparing patients for examination, taking and recording patient vital signs and blood pressure, performing simple treatment procedures such as EKG's and changing non-sterile dressings; performing standardized, routine laboratory procedures such as phlebotomy and patient specimen collection and processing. You may also perform routine clerical activities such as patient reception, producing reports, answering telephones, scheduling appointments, checking insurance eligibility, and collecting payments.
Subject of Examination
There will be no written test. If you meet the Minimum Qualifications your training and experience will be evaluated against the general background/critical activities of the position. This evaluation will concentrate on your educational background, relevant certification(s) and experience. It is essential that you describe your training and experience as completely as possible on the examination application NYS-APP form. Ambiguity, vagueness or omissions will not be decided in your favor. Do NOT send resumes. If you need more space, attach additional 8 1/2" x 11" sheets, following the same format used on the application form. Additional unsolicited information will not be accepted after the last day for filing.
Your final score must be 70 or higher in order to pass. Rank on the eligible list will be determined after adding any wartime veterans' and Civil Service Law Section 85-a credits to your final passing score.
How and Where to Apply
- Download the examination application NYS-APP form; or
- Email email@example.com to request NYS-APP form; or
- Obtain NYS-APP form from a State agency or facility personnel/business office; or
- Request NYS-APP form by calling the Department of Civil Service in the Albany area at 518-457-2487 [press 2, then press 3]; or toll free at 1-877-697-5627 [press 2, then press 3].
Where to Apply
If you wish to apply for this examination, complete the examination application NYS APP and mail it to the Personnel Office at the location in which you are interested. The addresses are:
- SUNY Upstate Medical University, Human Resources Office, 750 East Adams Street, Syracuse, NY 13210.
- Helen Hayes Hospital, Human Resources Department, Route 9W, West Haverstraw, NY 10993.
- SUNY College at Buffalo, Human Resources Office, 1300 Elmwood Avenue, Buffalo, NY 14222-1095.
- SUNY Plattsburgh, Personnel Office, 101 Broad Street, Kehoe 912, Plattsburgh, NY 12901-2681.
The NYS Department of Civil Service reserves the right to reject for lateness or to accept applications filed after the advertised filing periods. All statements you make on your application are subject to investigation.
SUNY Upstate Medical University, Helen Hayes Hospital, SUNY College at Buffalo, and SUNY Plattsburgh have an ongoing need for persons qualified for appointment to these positions and will accept applications at any time and will rate applications whenever additional eligibles are needed. It is anticipated that the examinations will be held on a periodic basis throughout the year. For the testing schedule and other information about this examination, write to SUNY Upstate Medical University, Helen Hayes Hospital, SUNY College at Buffalo, or SUNY Plattsburgh at the addresses above or call SUNY Upstate Medical University at (315) 464-4830; Helen Hayes Hospital at (914) 786-4000; SUNY College at Buffalo at (716) 878-4822; or SUNY Plattsburgh at (518) 564 5062.
Qualified candidates may file as frequently as once a year, but a new application is required each time.
New York State is an Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of the State of New York to provide for and promote equal opportunity employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without unlawful discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, religion, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, veteran or military service member status, marital status, domestic violence victim status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, arrest and/or criminal conviction record, or any other category protected by law, unless based upon a bona fide occupational qualification or other exception.
Appointment to many positions in State government require candidates to undergo an investigative screening. This may include a thorough character investigation, a Federal Bureau of Investigation Criminal Record History Check, a Child Abuse Registry clearance, or other similar procedures. Candidates may be fingerprinted and may be required to pay any necessary fees for that procedure. Depending on the nature of the job, the criminal convictions discovered, or any falsified or omitted information revealed, the investigative findings may bar appointment or result in removal after appointment.
Eligibility for Employment
You must be legally eligible to work in the United States at the time of appointment and throughout your employment with New York State. If appointed, you must produce documents that establish your identity and eligibility to work in the United States, as required by the federal Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, and the Immigration and Nationality Act.
Reasonable Accommodations in Testing
It is the policy of the Department of Civil Service, in accordance with the New York State Human Rights Law and the Americans with Disabilities Act, to provide qualified persons with disabilities equal employment opportunity and equal opportunity to participate in and receive the benefits, services, programs, and activities of the Department. It is the policy of the Department to provide such persons reasonable accommodations and reasonable modifications as are necessary to provide equal opportunity. Persons with disabilities who require an accommodation to participate in an examination must note this on their application. Further information is available from the Test Administration Unit of the Department of Civil Service. In the Albany area, call 518-457-2487. Outside of the Albany area, call toll free at 1-877-697-5627. For TDD services, call NY Relay at 711 (requires a fee) or 1-800-662-1220.
New York State Residence Is Not Required For Most Positions
However, you must be eligible for employment in the United States.
Continuous Recruitment/Eligible Lists
Candidates who meet the qualification and pass this examination will have their names placed on the eligible list in the order of final scores, regardless of the date on which they filed or took the test. Generally, the names of qualified candidates will remain on the eligible list for one year. Appeal of ratings will not be allowed as the opportunity for retest exists. The Department of Civil Service reserves the right to terminate this special recruitment program.
This announcement is subject to amendment or cancellation without notice. Do not copy it, or post it to any other site, but link to it instead.