New York State Department of Civil Service Announces Examinations Open to All Qualified Individuals
Licensed Psychologist - Addictions
- Applications Accepted
- Tests To Be Held
|Exam Number||Exam Title||Open to Employees of||Salary||Salary Grade||Non−Refundable Processing Fee (Waivers available)|
|30-182||Licensed Psychologist - Addictions||Alcohol & Subst Abuse Svs,Off of||$73,768||G-25||$0|
On or before the date of filing your application you must be a qualified employee of the Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services and you must be licensed and currently registered to practice psychology in New York State** AND have had one year of permanent competitive service as an Associate Psychologist, Associate Psychologist (Spanish Language), Psychologist 2, or Psychologist 2 (Spanish Language).
**Information regarding New York State licensure may be obtained from the State Board for Psychology by contacting the New York State Education Department, Office of the Professions, Division of Professional Licensing Services, Psychology Unit, 89 Washington Avenue, Albany, New York 12234 1000; or by calling (518) 474-3817, Ext. 592; or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Qualifying Experience for Appointment from the Eligible List
After one year of the service described in the Minimum Qualifications, successful candidates will be qualified for appointment from the eligible list.
- You must submit a copy of your current New York State registration certificate to practice psychology with your application. You do NOT need to complete the back of the promotion application form. You will instead be required to complete a job-specific questionnaire (see Subject of Examination).
- The New York State Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services has an ongoing need for persons qualified for appointment to these positions. Therefore, they will accept applications at any time and will rate the experience of qualified applicants whenever additional eligibles are needed. Applications received after a rating is completed will be retained for the next rating period.
- Qualified candidates will have their names placed on the eligible list for the examination in order of final scores, regardless of the date on which they filed or took the test. The names of qualified candidates will remain on the eligible list for two years. Appeal of ratings will not be allowed as the opportunity for retest exists.
- You may compete in this examination once a year.
- If you are eligible for appointment from both an open-competitive and a promotion list, you will only be considered for appointment from the promotion list.
Subject of Examination
There will be no written test. If, upon review of your application, you meet the "Minimum Qualifications," you will be mailed a supplemental questionnaire which you must complete and return. Your education and experience as presented in the questionnaire will be evaluated against the general background of the position; and your responses to the questionnaire will be the basis for your final score.
If you pass, your seniority credit(s), if any, will be included in the computation of your final score. Rank on the eligible list will be determined after adding any wartime veterans' credits to your final passing score.
As a Licensed Psychologist in the Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services, you would provide professional psychological services including, but not limited to, completing Emotional Behavioral Assessments and informing the appropriate clinical supervisor of any significant findings; coordinating referrals and follow-ups for facility psychiatrist; providing consultation to all treatment teams and meeting with patients as requested for psychological counseling. You will also provide consultation and peer review to other clinicians to improve their clinical performance or patient record-keeping.
How to Apply
- Download the examination application NYS-APP form ; or
- Email email@example.com to request NYS-APP form; or
- Obtain NYS-APP form from a State agency or facility personnel/business office; or
- Request NYS-APP form by calling the Department of Civil Service in the Albany area at 518-457-2487 [press 2, then press 3] or toll free at 1-877-697-5627 [press 2, then press 3].
Where to Apply
Mail your completed application to:
- New York State Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services, Bureau of Human Resources Management, 1450 Western Avenue, Albany, New York 12203.
New York State is an Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of the State of New York to provide for and promote equal opportunity employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without unlawful discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, religion, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, veteran or military service member status, marital status, domestic violence victim status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, arrest and/or criminal conviction record, or any other category protected by law, unless based upon a bona fide occupational qualification or other exception.
Reasonable Accommodations in Testing
It is the policy of the Department of Civil Service, in accordance with the New York State Human Rights Law and the Americans with Disabilities Act, to provide qualified persons with disabilities equal employment opportunity and equal opportunity to participate in and receive the benefits, services, programs, and activities of the Department. It is the policy of the Department to provide such persons reasonable accommodations and reasonable modifications as are necessary to provide equal opportunity. Persons with disabilities who require an accommodation to participate in an examination must note this on their application. Further information is available from the Test Administration Unit of the Department of Civil Service. In the Albany area, call 518-457-2487. Outside of the Albany area, call toll free at 1-877-697-5627. For TDD services, call NY Relay at 711 (requires a fee) or 1-800-662-1220.
New York State Residence Is Not Required For Most Positions
However, you must be eligible for employment in the United States.
Eligibility for Examination
To be considered a qualified employee eligible to compete in this examination, you must be employed in, or on leave from, the specified department or agency on a permanent or contingent permanent basis in the competitive class, or in the non-competitive class or labor class if specifically noted on this announcement (or be on an appropriate preferred list), and have the specified time in the specified title or salary grade. You may not compete in a test for a title if you are permanently employed in that title (unless you are still on probation) or in a higher direct line of promotion.
Cell Phones or Electronic/Communication Devices at the Test Site
Do not bring cell phones, beepers, headphones, or any electronic or other communication devices to the test site. The use of such devices at the test site in the test room, hallways, restrooms, building, grounds, or other areas could result in your disqualification.
Continuous Recruitment/Eligible Lists
Candidates who meet the qualification and pass this examination will have their names placed on the eligible list in the order of final scores, regardless of the date on which they filed or took the test. Generally, the names of qualified candidates will remain on the eligible list for two years. Appeal of ratings will not be allowed as the opportunity for retest exists. The department of Civil Service reserves the right to terminate this special recruitment program.
This announcement is subject to amendment or cancellation without notice. Do not copy it, or post it to any other site, but link to it instead.