New York State Department of Civil Service Announces Examinations Open to All Qualified Individuals
Professional Engineer 1 (and all parenthetics)
- Applications Accepted
- Tests To Be Held
|Exam Number||Exam Title||Salary Grade||Beginning Salary|
|30-183||Professional Engineer 1 (Civil)||24||$77,187|
|30-184||Professional Engineer 1 (Civil/Construction)||24||$77,187|
|30-185||Professional Engineer 1 (Civil/Geotechnical)||24||$77,187|
|30-186||Professional Engineer 1 (Civil/Structural)||24||$77,187|
|30-187||Professional Engineer 1 (Civil/Transportation)||24||$77,187|
|30-188||Professional Engineer 1 (Electrical)||24||$77,187|
|30-189||Professional Engineer 1 (Environmental)||24||$77,187|
|30-190||Professional Engineer 1 (Fire Protection)||24||$77,187|
|30-192||Professional Engineer 1 (Mechanical)||24||$77,187|
|30-193||Professional Engineer 1 (Mechanical/HVAC)||24||$77,187|
|30-194||Professional Engineer 1 (Gas Pipeline Safety)||24||$77,187|
|*Thruway Authority||Equated to G-24||$75,643|
|*Canal Corporation||Equated to G-24||$78,731|
ONLINE APPLICATION PROCESS ONLY
NO APPLICATION PROCESSING FEE REQUIRED
DEPARTMENT ONLY PROMOTION EXAMINATIONS
You must have a New York State Professional Engineer's License and current registration AND be a qualified employee of New York State (See Important Note) AND have had one year of permanent competitive or 55-b/55-c service as follows:
For Exam No. 30-183: Assistant Engineer (Civil)
For Exam No. 30-184: Assistant Engineer (Civil/Construction)
For Exam No. 30-185: Assistant Engineer (Civil/Geotechnical)
For Exam No. 30-186: Assistant Engineer (Civil/Structural)
For Exam No. 30-187: Assistant Engineer (Civil/Transportation)
For Exam No. 30-188: Assistant Engineer (Electrical)
For Exam No. 30-189: Assistant Engineer (Environmental)
For Exam No. 30-190: Assistant Engineer (Fire Protection)
For Exam No. 30-192: Assistant Engineer (Mechanical)
For Exam No. 30-193: Assistant Engineer (Mechanical/HVAC)
For Exam No. 30-194: Assistant Engineer (Gas Pipeline Safety)
Important Note: You are only eligible to apply to the agency where you are currently employed or on leave from.
- These examinations are being held on a promotion and open-competitive basis. If you do not meet the minimum qualifications for the promotion examination, you may wish to review the open-competitive examination announcement to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the open-competitive examination.
- Continued employment as a Professional Engineer 1 is dependent upon continued possession of a New York State Professional Engineer's license with current registration. Failure to maintain your New York State License and registration may result in removal from the Professional Engineer 1 title. Information regarding New York State professional engineering licensing may be obtained by writing to: NYS Office of the Professions, 89 Washington Avenue, Albany, New York 12234-1000; Voice (518) 474-3817 ext. 570; Email; firstname.lastname@example.org or Fax (518) 474-1449.
- New York State Education Department (NYSED) Guidelines for Professional Engineering Practice, Guideline 1: As a licensed professional engineer, you are required to practice within your authorized scope of practice, as defined in the Education Law, Commissioner���s Regulations and Rules of the Board of Regents. It is your responsibility to be knowledgeable of any restrictions that are based on law or regulation, as well as those that relate specifically to your area of professional competence.
- Travel Requirements: Appointment to certain positions may require extensive travel. Appointees to these positions may be required to operate a motor vehicle or otherwise demonstrate their capacity to meet the transportation needs of the job. If the position requires that you operate a motor vehicle, you must possess a driver's license valid in New York State at the time of appointment and continuously thereafter.
- For Exam 30-194 (Gas Pipeline Safety): Continued employment is dependent upon acquisition of various federally mandated certifications pertaining to pipelines and hazardous materials. Failure to obtain and maintain these certifications may result in termination of employment.
- For Exam No. 30-187 (Civil/Transportation): Appointment to some positions requires the ability to perform all the duties of the position including the ability to access all structures, which may include but is not limited to bridges, dams, and locks.
- For Exam Nos. 30-183 (Civil) and 30-189 (Environmental): Appointment to certain positions may require the use of personal protective equipment, including a respirator. The Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) and the Department of Health (DOH) conduct a Medical Monitoring Program for employee safety purposes in which you may be required to participate. The Medical Monitoring Program is an OSHA requirement for employees who may be exposed to toxic and hazardous substances and it is a critical part of DEC's and DOH's Employee Health and Safety Program. The Medical Monitoring Program includes a baseline physical examination with periodic follow-up physical examination.
Subject of Examination
There will be no written test and no test date is involved. You will be required to complete an online questionnaire that will rate your education and experience. The online questionnaire IS YOUR TEST. Failure to complete the online examination questionnaire/application correctly will result in disqualification. If disqualified, candidates must wait six months to re-apply.
The education and experience information provided by candidates on the online questionnaire will be rated according to the requirements of the title. Your ratings may vary when being scored for different engineering specialties. If you meet the minimum qualifications, your answers to the questionnaire will be the only basis for your score.
Ambiguity, vagueness, or omissions on the online questionnaire will not be decided in the candidate's favor. The information you provide in the online questionnaire is subject to verification. If references fail to respond or give contradictory information, you may be required to furnish written verification of the education, experience, or licensure claimed. False statements or lack of verification may result in a lower score, removal from the eligible list, or termination of employment.
If you pass, your seniority credit(s), if any, will be included in the computation of your final score. Your final score on the eligible list will be determined after adding any wartime Veterans' credits
Credit for Seniority
Seniority will be given due weight in the evaluation of education and experience.
As a Professional Engineer 1, you will provide the full range of professional engineering services including consultation, evaluation, planning, systems design, engineering surveys, or project oversight in order to ensure work conforms to accepted engineering standards. You may also supervise and evaluate the work of subordinate engineers and technicians in projects. Examples include, but are not limited to the construction, extension, alteration, remodeling, and maintenance of roads, buildings, public and private water and sewer systems, electrical and power supply systems, fire protection systems, and large structures including major roads, environmental remediation systems, and bridges.
IApplicants are required to have a Personal NY.gov account and keep their email address up to date. The Department of Civil Service and other state agencies will communicate with you through email correspondence. This may include the notification of your test arrangements, examination results, and canvassing you for interest in appointment. It will be important for you to keep your email address, phone number, and mailing address current by logging into https://www.cs.ny.gov/home/myaccount.
How To Apply
Recruitment needs vary by agency. Agencies will score online questionnaires when additional eligible candidates are needed to fill positions. Agencies may also periodically score online questionnaires to prepare for future recruitment needs. Questions about position availability can be answered by the hiring agency contact. Once added to an agency eligible list, candidates will have a two-year period of eligibility for appointment from that list. You can re-apply as frequently as very six months.
Qualified candidates may file as frequently as once every six months, but a new online examination questionnaire/application is required each time.
New York State is an Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of the State of New York to provide for and promote equal opportunity employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without unlawful discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, religion, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, veteran or military service member status, marital status, domestic violence victim status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, arrest and/or criminal conviction record, or any other category protected by law, unless based upon a bona fide occupational qualification or other exception.
Appointment to many positions in State government require candidates to undergo an investigative screening. This may include a thorough character investigation, a Federal Bureau of Investigation Criminal Record History Check, a Child Abuse Registry clearance, or other similar procedures. Candidates may be fingerprinted and may be required to pay any necessary fees for that procedure. Depending on the nature of the job, the criminal convictions discovered, or any falsified or omitted information revealed, the investigative findings may bar appointment or result in removal after appointment.
Eligibility for Employment
You must be legally eligible to work in the United States at the time of appointment and throughout your employment with New York State. If appointed, you must produce documents that establish your identity and eligibility to work in the United States, as required by the federal Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, and the Immigration and Nationality Act.
Reasonable Accommodations in Testing
It is the policy of the Department of Civil Service, in accordance with the New York State Human Rights Law and the Americans with Disabilities Act, to provide qualified persons with disabilities equal employment opportunity and equal opportunity to participate in and receive the benefits, services, programs, and activities of the Department. It is the policy of the Department to provide such persons reasonable accommodations and reasonable modifications as are necessary to provide equal opportunity. Persons with disabilities who require an accommodation to participate in an examination must note this on their application. Further information is available from the Test Accommodation Unit of the Department of Civil Service at Testaccommodation@cs.ny.gov.
New York State Residence Is Not Required For Most Positions
However, you must be eligible for employment in the United States.
Eligibility for Examination
To be considered a qualified employee eligible to compete in this examination, you must be employed in, or on leave from, the specified department or agency on a permanent or contingent permanent basis in the competitive class, or in the non-competitive class or labor class if specifically noted on this announcement (or be on an appropriate preferred list), and have the specified time in the specified title or salary grade. You may not compete in a test for a title if you are permanently employed in that title (unless you are still on probation) or in a higher direct line of promotion.
Continuous Recruitment/Eligible Lists
Candidates who meet the qualifications and pass this examination will have their names placed on the eligible list in the order of final scores, regardless of the date on which they filed or took the test. Generally, the names of qualified candidates will remain on the eligible list for two years. Appeal of ratings will not be allowed as the opportunity for retest exists. The Department of Civil Service reserves the right to terminate this special recruitment program.
This announcement is subject to amendment or cancellation without notice. Do not copy it, or post it to any other site, but link to it instead.