Promotion examination open to all qualified employees of the New York State Department of Corrections and Community Supervision.
- Written Test To Be Held
- September 20, 2017
- Applications Must Be Submitted or Postmarked By
- May 24, 2017
|Exam Number||Exam Title||Open to Employees of||Salary||Salary Grade||Non−Refundable Processing Fee|
|37-832||Correction Sergeant||Corrections and Community Supervision, Dept of||$57,348||G-17||$15|
|37-859||Correction Sergeant (Spanish Language)||Corrections and Community Supervision||$57,348||G-17|
On or before September 20, 2017, you must be a qualified employee of the New York State Department of Corrections and Community Supervision and have had 2 years of permanent competitive service as a Correction Officer, Correction Officer (Spanish Language), Community Correctional Center Assistant, or as a Warrant and Transfer Officer. This two years of service is IN ADDITION TO time spent as a Correction Officer Trainee. Service as a Correction Officer Trainee or Correction Officer Trainee (Spanish Language) does NOT meet the requirements for taking the test or appointment from the list.
Only the title(s) listed is qualifying for this examination(s).
If you were permanently appointed to a qualifying title on or before October 20, 2015, and have served continuously in this title since that date, you are eligible to file for this examination.
Qualifying Experience for Appointment from the Eligible List
After three years of the service described in the Minimum Qualifications, successful candidates will be qualified for appointment from the eligible list.
IMPORTANT: Unless waived, you must pay the non-refundable processing fee. For information on fee waivers, visit https://www.cs.ny.gov/examannouncements/types/oc/appinfo.cfm##Fee. It is important that you verify that you entered the correct examination number and title on your online or paper application prior to submitting. If you apply online, you should immediately review your email confirmation notice to verify that you applied for the correct examination. If you do not receive a confirmation number after submitting your online application, your application was NOT received by the Department of Civil Service. No late applications will be accepted after the filing deadline has passed.
- If you submit an application for No. 37-859, Correction Sergeant (Spanish Language), an application will automatically be submitted for you for No. 37-832, Correction Sergeant at no additional cost.
- Language Proficiency: If you pass the examination for No. 37-859, Correction Sergeant (Spanish Language), you will be required to demonstrate your Spanish language proficiency at a level that will ensure your ability to perform properly the duties of the position. Only enough candidates to fill current vacancies will be called to the proficiency test.
Subject of Examination
There will be a written test which you must pass in order to be considered for appointment. The written test is designed to test for knowledge, skills, and/or abilities in such areas as:
- Rule, regulations, and procedures relevant to the operation of a correctional facility - These multiple choice questions test for knowledge of the Employee Manual, Inmate Rule Book, and DOCCS directives. Directives useful for the completion of the multiple choice questions will be provided in the study guide.
- Supervision in a correctional facility - This job simulation exercise tests for the ability to: direct the activities of subordinate staff in such areas as issuing directions, demonstrating leadership, evaluating performance of staff, maintaining work standards, motivating and developing staff, and dealing with problems of absenteeism, morale, and discipline; appropriately handle problems that occur in connection with the performance of these activities; investigate allegations of misconduct through interviews, proper collection and retention of evidence, and the proper completion of required reports. Documents useful for the completion of this exercise will be referenced in the study guide.
- Controlling emergency situations, maintaining security, and conducting investigations - This job simulation exercise tests for the ability to: control and contain emergency situations; identify pertinent information and pick up on visual cues indicating potential security problems; respond to and investigate potential security problems or emergency situations and take appropriate action; and draw appropriate conclusions and use reasoned responses to security situations. Documents useful for the completion of this exercise will be referenced in the study guide.
STUDY GUIDE: All eligible candidates will receive a Study Guide approximately 60 days in advance of the test date. It will provide additional details concerning the various formats of this examination (Multiple Choice and Written Job Simulation Exercises), specific directives for study, as well as suggestions for examination preparation. This Study Guide is being developed by the New York State Department of Civil Service and will be made available to all candidates at the facility where they are employed at the time of distribution.
If you pass, your seniority credit(s), if any, will be included in the computation of your final score. Rank on the eligible list will be determined after adding any wartime Veterans' credits to your final passing score.
Credit for Seniority
Seniority is credited at the rate of one credit for each five-year period (or fraction thereof), excluding the first year of service.
LOCATION OF WRITTEN TEST: The written test will be held at various correctional facilities throughout the state. You will be assigned to a test site based on the facility where you work at the time of filing the application. If you are reassigned to another facility after applying for the test, your test site will be changed. THERE IS NO NEED TO CONTACT THE DEPARTMENT OF CIVIL SERVICE ABOUT CHANGING YOUR TEST SITE. ALL REASSIGNMENTS WILL BE MONITORED TO ENSURE THAT EACH CANDIDATE WILL BE TESTED NEAR HIS/HER FACILITY.
- You will receive an admission notice approximately one week prior to the test.
- The reporting test time is 8:30 a.m. You must bring your admission notice and valid photo identification with you. There will be administrative paperwork to complete prior to the test beginning.
- There will be no smoking at the test site.
Important: The Department of Civil Service and other state agencies may communicate with you through email correspondence. This may include the notification of your examination results and canvassing you for interest in appointment. It will be important for you to keep your email address, phone number and mailing address current by logging into https://www.cs.ny.gov/home/myaccount.
How To Apply
You Can Also
- Download examination application NYS-APP form; or
- Email email@example.com to request NYS-APP forms; or
- Obtain an NYS-APP form from a State agency or facility personnel/business office; or
- Request NYS-APP form by calling the Department of Civil Service in the Albany area at 518-457-2487 or toll free at 1-877-697-5627.
The NYS Department of Civil Service reserves the right to reject for lateness or to accept applications filed after the advertised filing period. All statements you make on your application are subject to investigation.
If you do not receive a number after submitting your online application, your application was NOT processed.
New York State is an Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of the State of New York to provide for and promote equal opportunity employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, religion, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, veteran or military service member status, marital status, domestic violence victim status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, or arrest and/or criminal conviction record unless based upon a bona fide occupational qualification or other exception.
Most written tests are held on Saturdays. If you cannot take the test on the announced test date, due to a conflict with a religious observance or practice, check the box under “Religious Accommodation.” We will make arrangements for you to take the test on a different date (usually the following day).
Reasonable Accommodations in Testing
It is the policy of the Department of Civil Service, in accordance with the New York State Human Rights Law and the Americans with Disabilities Act, to provide qualified persons with disabilities equal employment opportunity and equal opportunity to participate in and receive the benefits, services, programs, and activities of the Department. It is the policy of the Department to provide such persons reasonable accommodations and reasonable modifications as are necessary to provide equal opportunity. Persons with disabilities who require an accommodation to participate in an examination must note this on their application. Further information is available from the Test Administration Unit of the Department of Civil Service. In the Albany area, call 518-457-2487. Outside of the Albany area, call toll free at 1-877-697-5627. For TDD services, call NY Relay at 711 (requires a fee) or 1-800-662-1220.
Admission to Examination
Notice to appear for the test may be conditional as review of applications may not be made until after the test. If you have not received your notice to appear for the written test three days before the date of the test, call 518-474 6470 in the Albany area or toll free at 1-877-697-5627.
Multiple Examinations Scheduled for the Same Day
If you have applied to take a written test announced by either one or several local jurisdictions (county, town, city) scheduled to be held on the same test date as this written test, you must notify each of the local jurisdictions no later than two weeks before the test date to make arrangements for taking all tests at one test site. All tests will be held at the state examination center. For your convenience, contact information for all local civil service agencies is available on our website at: http://www.cs.ny.gov/jobseeker/local.cfm
Eligibility for Examination
To be considered a qualified employee eligible to compete in this examination, you must be employed in, or on leave from, the specified department or agency on a permanent or contingent permanent basis in the competitive class, or in the non-competitive class or labor class if specifically noted on this announcement (or be on an appropriate preferred list), and have the specified time in the specified title or salary grade. You may not compete in a test for a title if you are permanently employed in that title (unless you are still on probation) or in a higher direct line of promotion.
Cell Phones or Electronic/Communication Devices at the Test Site
Do not bring cell phones, beepers, headphones, or any electronic or other communication devices to the test site. The use of such devices at the test site in the test room, hallways, restrooms, building, grounds, or other areas could result in your disqualification.
This announcement is subject to amendment or cancellation without notice. Do not copy it, or post it to any other site, but link to it instead.