Motor Vehicle Representative
- Written Test To Be Held
- November 18, 2017*
You may be assigned to either Saturday or Sunday.
Please refer to the information below.
- Applications Must Be Submitted or Postmarked By
- October 04, 2017
|Exam Number||Exam Title||Open to Employees of||Salary||Salary Grade||Non−Refundable Processing Fee (Waivers available)|
|37-849||Motor Vehicle Representative||Motor Vehicles, Department of||$33,972||G-9||$10|
|38-016||Motor Vehicle Representative (Chinese Language)||Motor Vehicles, Department of||$33,972||G-9|
|38-017||Motor Vehicle Representative (Creole Language)||Motor Vehicles, Department of||$33,972||G-9|
|38-018||Motor Vehicle Representative (Italian Language)||Motor Vehicles, Department of||$33,972||G-9|
|38-019||Motor Vehicle Representative (Korean Language)||Motor Vehicles, Department of||$33,972||G-9|
|38-020||Motor Vehicle Representative (Manual Communications)||Motor Vehicles, Department of||$33,972||G-9|
|38-021||Motor Vehicle Representative (Russian Language)||Motor Vehicles, Department of||$33,972||G-9|
|38-022||Motor Vehicle Representative (Spanish Language)||Motor Vehicles, Department of||$33,972||G-9|
*Due to the size of the candidate population for this test date, you may be assigned to either a morning or afternoon session on Saturday, November 18, 2017 or Sunday, November 19, 2017 to take your test. Your admission notice will tell you where and when you are scheduled to appear. You cannot request a day or time in advance or change your scheduled day or time. If you do not receive your admission notice by November 15, 2017, see "ADMISSION TO EXAMINATION" on the last page.
|IMPORTANT: Unless waived, you must pay the non-refundable processing fee. For information on fee waivers, visit https://www.cs.ny.gov/examannouncements/types/oc/appinfo.cfm##Fee. It is important that you verify that you entered the correct examination number and title on your online or paper application prior to submitting. If you apply online, you should immediately review your email confirmation notice to verify that you applied for the correct examination. If you do not receive a confirmation number after submitting your online application, your application was NOT received by the Department of Civil Service. No late applications will be accepted after the filing deadline has passed.|
On or before November 18, 2017, you must be a qualified employee of the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles and have had one month of permanent competitive, non-competitive, labor class, or 55-b/55-c service.
If you were permanently appointed to a qualifying title on or before October 18, 2017, and have served continuously in this title since that date, you are eligible to file for this examination.
If you receive a permanent appointment to a qualifying title between October 4, 2017 and October 18, 2017, you can be admitted to these examinations by calling the Department of Civil Service at (518) 474-0896, between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. weekdays.
Qualifying Experience for Appointment from the Eligible List
After one year of the service described in the Minimum Qualifications, successful candidates will be qualified for appointment from the eligible list.
Working Conditions: Motor Vehicle Representative and Motor Vehicle Representative (Various Language Parenthetics) positions involve continuous contact with the public where you would be processing complex and varied transactions and/or providing detailed information to large numbers of people. In the performance of these assigned duties, you may interact with uncooperative or sometimes hostile individuals. You would be expected to act in a calm, courteous, and reasonable manner even under very difficult, highly stressful, and at times, confrontational circumstances. Due to the volume of work and the incidence of contact with upset customers, there is significant stress associated with these jobs. You may be required to continuously move throughout the reception area amongst the general public to greet customers, identify their needs, and provide information or instructions that direct them to the most effective point of contact. At times, you may be required to work beyond the end of your scheduled shift. In most Department of Motor Vehicles offices, you would be scheduled to work evening hours at least once a week.
You may be assigned/rotated to these positions which exist in the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles' License and Registration issuing offices, a call center, the International Registration Bureau, the Title Bureau, or the Insurance Service Bureau. In addition, the Department of Motor Vehicles has call centers located at the Greene Correctional Facility (Greene County) and Bedford Hills Correctional Facility (Westchester County).
In order to be successful in these positions, you must be comfortable using a personal computer, be familiar with the Windows operating system, and be capable of using several applications running simultaneously. Other important traits include: interpersonal skills, friendliness, courtesy, accuracy, teamwork, respect, punctuality, and good attendance.
- In accordance with Section 52.11 of the Civil Service Law, individuals serving permanently in the non-competitive or labor class in a qualifying title (including those serving under Section 55-b/55-c) who otherwise meet the requirements for taking these examinations are eligible to compete in these promotion examinations.
- These examinations are being held on a promotion and open-competitive basis. If you are admitted to the promotion examination under anticipated eligibility (i.e., you do not have the required one year of Qualifying Experience For Appointment From The Eligible List) and if you meet the open-competitive minimum qualifications, you may also be admitted to the open-competitive examination. To be admitted, you must apply for the open-competitive examination according to the instructions given on the open-competitive announcement. Once you meet the required one year of qualifying service for appointment from the promotion list, you will not be eligible for appointment from the open-competitive eligible list.
- If you pass the examination and are considered for appointment to one of the language parenthetics, you will be required to demonstrate your Chinese, Creole, Italian, Korean, Manual Communications, Russian, or Spanish language proficiency at a level that will ensure your ability to perform properly the duties of the position. Only enough candidates to fill current vacancies will be called to the proficiency test.
- If you submit an application for any of the language parenthetic exams, an application will automatically be submitted for you for No. 37-849 Motor Vehicle Representative at no additional cost.
- Appointment from any Motor Vehicle Representative eligible list will inactivate your name for consideration for appointment from all other Motor Vehicle Representative eligible lists.
Subject of Examination
There will be a written test which you must pass in order to be considered for appointment. The written test is designed to test for knowledge, skills, and/or abilities in such areas as:
- Arithmetic computation with calculator - These questions test for the ability to use a calculator to do basic computations. Questions will involve addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. You may also be asked to calculate averages, to use percents, and to round an answer to the nearest whole number. You should bring with you a hand-held battery- or solar-powered calculator for use on this test. You will not be permitted to use the calculator function of your cell phone.
- Coding/decoding information - These questions test for the ability to follow a set of coding rules. Some questions will require you to code information by converting certain information into letters or numbers. Other questions will require you to decode information by determining if the information that has already been converted into letters or numbers is correct. Complete directions will be provided; no previous knowledge of or training in any coding system is required.
- Evaluating conclusions in light of known facts - These questions will consist of a set of factual statements and a conclusion. You must decide if the conclusion is proved by the facts, disproved by the facts or if the facts are not sufficient to prove or disprove the conclusion. The questions will not be specific to a particular field.
- Public contact principles and practices - These questions test for knowledge of techniques used to interact with other people, to gather and present information, and to provide assistance, advice, and effective customer service in a courteous and professional manner. Questions will cover such topics as understanding and responding to people with diverse needs, perspectives, personalities, and levels of familiarity with agency operations, as well as acting in a way that both serves the public and reflects well on your agency.
If you pass, your seniority credit(s), if any, will be included in the computation of your final score. Rank on the eligible list will be determined after adding any wartime Veterans' credits to your final passing score.
Credit for Seniority
Seniority is credited at the rate of one credit for each five-year period (or fraction thereof), excluding the first year of service.
As a Motor Vehicle Representative or Motor Vehicle Representative (Various Language Parenthetics), you will have substantial in-person or telephone contact with members of the public seeking services or information regarding licenses, registrations, identification, testing, insurance, penalties, hearings, and related agency programs. You will be expected to effectively use a computer. You may be required to operate telecommunication consoles, cameras, cash drawer, photocopiers, fax machines, scanners, calculators, etc. You may be responsible for processing customer payments such as: cash, checks, credit card charges, and inventories of documents, license plates, registration stickers, and other security items. In an issuing office setting, the majority of your time will be spent assisting the public by greeting the public as they arrive in the office as well as in processing transactions by entering data on a personal computer using a keyboard and mouse. If assigned to a call center, you would wear a headset and would be expected to effectively answer telephone calls which are automatically and continuously distributed by a complex telephonic system. Telephone calls may be monitored for quality assurance.
TEST GUIDE: A Guide to the Written Test for the Motor Vehicle Representative Series is available on the Department website at http://www.cs.ny.gov/testing/statetestguides.cfm.
Important: The Department of Civil Service and other state agencies may communicate with you through email correspondence. This may include the notification of your examination results and canvassing you for interest in appointment. It will be important for you to keep your email address, phone number and mailing address current by logging into https://www.cs.ny.gov/home/myaccount.
How To Apply
You Can Also
- Download examination application NYS-APP form; or
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to request NYS-APP forms; or
- Obtain an NYS-APP form from a State agency or facility personnel/business office; or
- Request NYS-APP form by calling the Department of Civil Service in the Albany area at 518-457-2487 or toll free at 1-877-697-5627.
The NYS Department of Civil Service reserves the right to reject for lateness or to accept applications filed after the advertised filing period. All statements you make on your application are subject to investigation.
If you do not receive a number after submitting your online application, your application was NOT processed.
New York State is an Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of the State of New York to provide for and promote equal opportunity employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without unlawful discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, religion, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, veteran or military service member status, marital status, domestic violence victim status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, arrest and/or criminal conviction record, or any other category protected by law, unless based upon a bona fide occupational qualification or other exception.
Most written tests are held on Saturdays. If you cannot take the test on the announced test date, due to a conflict with a religious observance or practice, check the box under “Religious Accommodation.” We will make arrangements for you to take the test on a different date (usually the following day).
Reasonable Accommodations in Testing
It is the policy of the Department of Civil Service, in accordance with the New York State Human Rights Law and the Americans with Disabilities Act, to provide qualified persons with disabilities equal employment opportunity and equal opportunity to participate in and receive the benefits, services, programs, and activities of the Department. It is the policy of the Department to provide such persons reasonable accommodations and reasonable modifications as are necessary to provide equal opportunity. Persons with disabilities who require an accommodation to participate in an examination must note this on their application. Further information is available from the Test Administration Unit of the Department of Civil Service. In the Albany area, call 518-457-2487. Outside of the Albany area, call toll free at 1-877-697-5627. For TDD services, call NY Relay at 711 (requires a fee) or 1-800-662-1220.
Admission to Examination
Notice to appear for the test may be conditional as review of applications may not be made until after the test. If you have not received your notice to appear for the written test three days before the date of the test, call 518-474 6470 in the Albany area or toll free at 1-877-697-5627.
Multiple Examinations Scheduled for the Same Day
If you have applied to take a written test announced by either one or several local jurisdictions (county, town, city) scheduled to be held on the same test date as this written test, you must notify each of the local jurisdictions no later than two weeks before the test date to make arrangements for taking all tests at one test site. All tests will be held at the state examination center. For your convenience, contact information for all local civil service agencies is available on our website at: http://www.cs.ny.gov/jobseeker/local.cfm
Eligibility for Examination
To be considered a qualified employee eligible to compete in this examination, you must be employed in, or on leave from, the specified department or agency on a permanent or contingent permanent basis in the competitive class, or in the non-competitive class or labor class if specifically noted on this announcement (or be on an appropriate preferred list), and have the specified time in the specified title or salary grade. You may not compete in a test for a title if you are permanently employed in that title (unless you are still on probation) or in a higher direct line of promotion.
Cell Phones or Electronic/Communication Devices at the Test Site
Do not bring cell phones, beepers, headphones, or any electronic or other communication devices to the test site. The use of such devices at the test site in the test room, hallways, restrooms, building, grounds, or other areas could result in your disqualification.
This announcement is subject to amendment or cancellation without notice. Do not copy it, or post it to any other site, but link to it instead.