Senior Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor
- Written Test To Be Held
- March 17, 2018*
You may be assigned to either Saturday or Sunday.
Please refer to the information below.
- Applications Must Be Submitted or Postmarked By
- January 31, 2018
|Exam Number||Exam Title||Open to Employees of||Salary||Salary Grade||Non−Refundable Processing Fee (Waivers available)|
|38-000||Senior Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor||Multiple Agencies||$68,238||G-22||$20|
|38-001||Senior Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor (Manual Communications)||Multiple Agencies||$68,238||G-22|
* Due to the size of the candidate population for this test date, you may be assigned to either Saturday, March 17, 2018, or Sunday, March 18, 2018, to take your test. Your admission notice will tell you where and when you are scheduled to appear. You cannot request a day in advance or change your scheduled day.
|IMPORTANT: Unless waived, you must pay the non-refundable processing fee. For information on fee waivers, visit https://www.cs.ny.gov/examannouncements/types/oc/appinfo.cfm##Fee. It is important that you verify that you entered the correct examination number and title on your online or paper application prior to submitting. If you apply online, you should immediately review your email confirmation notice to verify that you applied for the correct examination. If you do not receive a confirmation number after submitting your online application, your application was NOT received by the Department of Civil Service. No late applications will be accepted after the filing deadline has passed.|
On or before March 17, 2018, you must be a qualified employee of New York State and have had three months of permanent competitive or 55-b/55-c service as a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor, Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor (Manual Communications), or Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor (Spanish Language).
Only the title(s) listed is qualifying for this examination(s).
If you were permanently appointed to a qualifying title on or before December 17, 2017, and have served continuously in this title since that date, you are eligible to file for this examination.
Qualifying Experience for Appointment from the Eligible List
After one year of the service described in the Minimum Qualifications, successful candidates will be qualified for appointment from the eligible list.
Subject of Examination
There will be a written test which you must pass in order to be considered for appointment. The written test is designed to test for knowledge, skills, and/or abilities in such areas as:
- Preparing written material - These questions test for the ability to present information clearly and accurately, and to organize paragraphs logically and comprehensibly. For some questions, you will be given information in two or three sentences followed by four restatements of the information. You must then choose the best version. For other questions, you will be given paragraphs with their sentences out of order. You must then choose, from four suggestions, the best order for the sentences.
- Principles and practices of vocational rehabilitation counseling - These questions test for knowledge of the principles and practices of vocational rehabilitation counseling for individuals diagnosed with a disability. Questions may cover such topics as assessing individual vocational strengths and weaknesses; developing, implementing, and evaluating individual plans and services; counseling individuals to promote independent living and employment; job development, training and placement; and developing community resources.
- Supervision - These questions test for knowledge of the principles and practices employed in planning, organizing, and controlling the activities of a work unit toward predetermined objectives. The concepts covered, usually in a situational question format, include such topics as assigning and reviewing work; evaluating performance; maintaining work standards; motivating and developing subordinates; implementing procedural change; increasing efficiency; and dealing with problems of absenteeism, morale, and discipline.
- Understanding and interpreting written material - These questions test for the ability to understand and interpret written material. You will be presented with brief reading passages and will be asked questions about the passages. You should base your answers to the questions only on what is presented in the passages and not on what you may happen to know about the topic.
If you pass, your seniority credit(s), if any, will be included in the computation of your final score. Rank on the eligible list will be determined after adding any wartime Veterans' credits to your final passing score.
Credit for Seniority
Seniority is credited at the rate of one credit for each five-year period (or fraction thereof), excluding the first year of service.
Important: The Department of Civil Service and other state agencies may communicate with you through email correspondence. This may include the notification of your examination results and canvassing you for interest in appointment. It will be important for you to keep your email address, phone number and mailing address current by logging into https://www.cs.ny.gov/home/myaccount.
How To Apply
You Can Also
- Download examination application NYS-APP form; or
- Email email@example.com to request NYS-APP forms; or
- Obtain an NYS-APP form from a State agency or facility personnel/business office; or
- Request NYS-APP form by calling the Department of Civil Service in the Albany area at 518-457-2487 or toll free at 1-877-697-5627.
The NYS Department of Civil Service reserves the right to reject for lateness or to accept applications filed after the advertised filing period. All statements you make on your application are subject to investigation.
If you do not receive a number after submitting your online application, your application was NOT processed.
New York State is an Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of the State of New York to provide for and promote equal opportunity employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without unlawful discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, religion, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, veteran or military service member status, marital status, domestic violence victim status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, arrest and/or criminal conviction record, or any other category protected by law, unless based upon a bona fide occupational qualification or other exception.
Most written tests are held on Saturdays. If you cannot take the test on the announced test date, due to a conflict with a religious observance or practice, check the box under “Religious Accommodation.” We will make arrangements for you to take the test on a different date (usually the following day).
Reasonable Accommodations in Testing
It is the policy of the Department of Civil Service, in accordance with the New York State Human Rights Law and the Americans with Disabilities Act, to provide qualified persons with disabilities equal employment opportunity and equal opportunity to participate in and receive the benefits, services, programs, and activities of the Department. It is the policy of the Department to provide such persons reasonable accommodations and reasonable modifications as are necessary to provide equal opportunity. Persons with disabilities who require an accommodation to participate in an examination must note this on their application. Further information is available from the Test Administration Unit of the Department of Civil Service. In the Albany area, call 518-457-2487. Outside of the Albany area, call toll free at 1-877-697-5627. For TDD services, call NY Relay at 711 (requires a fee) or 1-800-662-1220.
Admission to Examination
Notice to appear for the test may be conditional as review of applications may not be made until after the test. If you have not received your notice to appear for the written test three days before the date of the test, email us at AdmissionNotices@cs.ny.gov. Please provide your first and last name, address, and the last four digits of your social security number, and we will provide you with the information you need to attend your written test. If you have an issue other than not receiving your admission notice, please contact our office at (518) 474-6470 in the Albany area or toll free at 1-877-697-5627. Please leave a clear concise message and provide your first and last name, last four digits of your social security number and a daytime phone number.
Taking State and Local Examinations Scheduled for the Same Day
If you have applied to take a written test announced by either one or several local jurisdictions (county, town, city) scheduled to be held on the same test date as this written test, you must notify each of the local jurisdictions no later than two weeks before the test date to make arrangements for taking all tests at one test site. All tests will be held at the state examination center. For your convenience, contact information for all local civil service agencies is available on our website at: https://www.cs.ny.gov/jobseeker/local.cfm.
Eligibility for Examination
To be considered a qualified employee eligible to compete in this examination, you must be employed in, or on leave from, the specified department or agency on a permanent or contingent permanent basis in the competitive class, or in the non-competitive class or labor class if specifically noted on this announcement (or be on an appropriate preferred list), and have the specified time in the specified title or salary grade. You may not compete in a test for a title if you are permanently employed in that title (unless you are still on probation) or in a higher direct line of promotion.
Cell Phones or Electronic/Communication Devices at the Test Site
Do not bring cell phones, beepers, headphones, or any electronic or other communication devices to the test site. The use of such devices at the test site in the test room, hallways, restrooms, building, grounds, or other areas could result in your disqualification.
This announcement is subject to amendment or cancellation without notice. Do not copy it, or post it to any other site, but link to it instead.