Tax Technician 4 (Corporation)
- Written Test To Be Held
- May 12, 2018**
You may be assigned to either Saturday or Sunday.
Please refer to the information below.
- Applications Must Be Submitted or Postmarked By
- March 28, 2018
|Exam Number||Exam Title||Open to Employees of||Salary||Salary Grade||Non−Refundable Processing Fee (Waivers available)|
|38-120||Tax Technician 4 (Corporation)||Multiple Agencies||$90,375||G-27||$25|
|38-121||Tax Technician 4 (Excise)||Multiple Agencies||$90,375||G-27||$25|
|38-122||Tax Technician 4 (Income)||Multiple Agencies||$90,375||G-27||$25|
|38-123||Tax Technician 4 (Sales)||Multiple Agencies||$90,375||G-27||$25|
*Salary effective 4/5/18
**Due to the size of the candidate population for this test date, you may be assigned to either Saturday, May 12, 2018, or Sunday, May 13, 2018, to take your test. Your admission notice will tell you where and when you are scheduled to appear. You cannot request a day in advance or change your scheduled day.
|IMPORTANT: Unless waived, you must pay the non-refundable processing fee. For information on fee waivers, visit https://www.cs.ny.gov/examannouncements/types/oc/appinfo.cfm##Fee. It is important that you verify that you entered the correct examination number and title on your online or paper application prior to submitting. If you apply online, you should immediately review your email confirmation notice to verify that you applied for the correct examination. If you do not receive a confirmation number after submitting your online application, your application was NOT received by the Department of Civil Service. No late applications will be accepted after the filing deadline has passed.|
This examination is being held to fill vacancies in the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance only.
On or before May 12, 2018, you must be a qualified employee of the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance or the Division of Tax Appeals and have had three months of permanent competitive or 55-b/55-c service as a:
For No. 38-120:
Either A. Tax Technician 3 (Corporation);
Or B. Tax Technician 3 (Excise), Tax Technician 3 (Income), Tax Technician 3 (Sales); OR Tax Auditor 2 (any specialty).
For No. 38-121:
Either A. Tax Technician 3 (Excise);
Or B. Tax Technician 3 (Corporation), Tax Technician 3 (Income), Tax Technician 3 (Sales); OR Tax Auditor 2 (any specialty).
For No. 38-122:
Either A. Tax Technician 3 (Income);
Or B. Tax Technician 3 (Corporation), Tax Technician 3 (Excise), Tax Technician 3 (Sales); OR Tax Auditor 2 (any specialty).
For No. 38-123:
Either A. Tax Technician 3 (Sales);
Or B. Tax Technician 3 (Corporation), Tax Technician 3 (Excise), Tax Technician 3 (Income); OR Tax Auditor 2 (any specialty).
Only the title(s) listed is qualifying for this examination(s).
If you were permanently appointed to a qualifying title on or before February 12, 2018, and have served continuously in this title since that date, you are eligible to file for this examination.
Qualifying Experience for Appointment from the Eligible List
After one year of the service described in the Minimum Qualifications, successful candidates will be qualified for appointment from the eligible list.
Eligibles who meet the “B” qualifications, and who are subsequently appointed to an “A” title, may request to have their name added to the “A” list, once they have completed the one year of service in the “A” title. The request should be submitted in writing to the NYS Department of Civil Service, Albany, New York 12239; Attention: S2MAS.
Order of Certification
The order of certification of this eligible list will be:
- "A" eligibles
- "All" eligibles
- Please access the Human Resources home page on the Tax Department Intranet to obtain the duties statement for these positions. This website is only accessible if you are connected to the Tax Department’s computer network and is not available on the Internet.
- Due to the large number of tax specialty areas covered by this series of tests, we encourage candidates to carefully consider and make choices about which areas of questions to concentrate their time on. While it may be possible in the time allowed to answer questions in all the specialty areas, concentrating on fewer areas may result in better test scores.
Subject of Examination
There will be a written test which you must pass in order to be considered for appointment. The written test is designed to test for knowledge, skills, and/or abilities in such areas as:
- Analyzing and evaluating information - These questions test for the ability to analyze, interpret, and draw reasonable conclusions from information presented in text, data, images or symbols. This may involve identifying a significant problem or issue; focusing on relevant data and text; identifying trends, relationships, and significant features; assessing relevant alternatives; suggesting or evaluating possible conclusions; and applying logical principles to information provided.
- Administrative supervision - These questions test for knowledge of the principles and practices involved in directing the activities of a large subordinate staff, including subordinate supervisors. Questions relate to the personal interactions between an upper level supervisor and his/her subordinate supervisors in the accomplishment of objectives. These questions cover such areas as assigning work to and coordinating the activities of several units, establishing and guiding staff development programs, evaluating the performance of subordinate supervisors, and maintaining relationships with other organizational sections.
- Preparing reports and official documents - These questions test for the ability to prepare reports and other official documents for use within and among governmental agencies, in legal or regulatory settings, or for dissemination to the public. Some questions test for a knowledge of grammar, usage, punctuation, and sentence structure. Others test for the ability to present information clearly and accurately, to use the proper tone, and to organize paragraphs logically and comprehensibly.
- Administrative techniques and practices - These questions test for a knowledge of management techniques and practices used in directing or assisting in directing a program component or an organizational segment. Questions cover such areas as interpreting policies, making decisions based on the context of the position in the organization, coordinating programs or projects, communicating with employees or the public, planning employee training, and researching and evaluating areas of concern.
If you pass, your seniority credit(s), if any, will be included in the computation of your final score. Rank on the eligible list will be determined after adding any wartime Veterans' credits to your final passing score.
Credit for Seniority
Seniority is credited at the rate of one credit for each five-year period (or fraction thereof), excluding the first year of service.
Important: The Department of Civil Service and other state agencies may communicate with you through email correspondence. This may include the notification of your examination results and canvassing you for interest in appointment. It will be important for you to keep your email address, phone number and mailing address current by logging into https://www.cs.ny.gov/home/myaccount.
How To Apply
You Can Also
- Download examination application NYS-APP form; or
- Email email@example.com to request NYS-APP forms; or
- Obtain an NYS-APP form from a State agency or facility personnel/business office; or
- Request NYS-APP form by calling the Department of Civil Service in the Albany area at 518-457-2487 or toll free at 1-877-697-5627.
The NYS Department of Civil Service reserves the right to reject for lateness or to accept applications filed after the advertised filing period. All statements you make on your application are subject to investigation.
If you do not receive a confirmation number after submitting your online application, your application was NOT processed.
New York State is an Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of the State of New York to provide for and promote equal opportunity employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without unlawful discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, religion, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, veteran or military service member status, marital status, domestic violence victim status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, arrest and/or criminal conviction record, or any other category protected by law, unless based upon a bona fide occupational qualification or other exception.
Most written tests are held on Saturdays. If you cannot take the test on the announced test date, due to a conflict with a religious observance or practice, check the box under “Religious Accommodation.” We will make arrangements for you to take the test on a different date (usually the following day).
Reasonable Accommodations in Testing
It is the policy of the Department of Civil Service, in accordance with the New York State Human Rights Law and the Americans with Disabilities Act, to provide qualified persons with disabilities equal employment opportunity and equal opportunity to participate in and receive the benefits, services, programs, and activities of the Department. It is the policy of the Department to provide such persons reasonable accommodations and reasonable modifications as are necessary to provide equal opportunity. Persons with disabilities who require an accommodation to participate in an examination must note this on their application. Further information is available from the Test Administration Unit of the Department of Civil Service. In the Albany area, call 518-457-2487. Outside of the Albany area, call toll free at 1-877-697-5627. For TDD services, call NY Relay at 711 (requires a fee) or 1-800-662-1220.
Admission to Examination
Notice to appear for the test may be conditional as review of applications may not be made until after the test. If you have not received your notice to appear for the written test three days before the date of the test, email us at AdmissionNotices@cs.ny.gov. Please provide your first and last name, address, and the last four digits of your social security number, and we will provide you with the information you need to attend your written test. If you have an issue other than not receiving your admission notice, please contact our office at (518) 474-6470 in the Albany area or toll free at 1-877-697-5627. Please leave a clear concise message and provide your first and last name, last four digits of your social security number and a daytime phone number.
Taking State and Local Examinations Scheduled for the Same Day
If you have applied to take a written test announced by either one or several local jurisdictions (county, town, city) scheduled to be held on the same test date as this written test, you must notify each of the local jurisdictions no later than two weeks before the test date to make arrangements for taking all tests at one test site. All tests will be held at the state examination center. For your convenience, contact information for all local civil service agencies is available on our website at: https://www.cs.ny.gov/jobseeker/local.cfm.
Eligibility for Examination
To be considered a qualified employee eligible to compete in this examination, you must be employed in, or on leave from, the specified department or agency on a permanent or contingent permanent basis in the competitive class, or in the non-competitive class or labor class if specifically noted on this announcement (or be on an appropriate preferred list), and have the specified time in the specified title or salary grade. You may not compete in a test for a title if you are permanently employed in that title (unless you are still on probation) or in a higher direct line of promotion.
Cell Phones or Electronic/Communication Devices at the Test Site
Do not bring cell phones, beepers, headphones, or any electronic or other communication devices to the test site. The use of such devices at the test site in the test room, hallways, restrooms, building, grounds, or other areas could result in your disqualification.
This announcement is subject to amendment or cancellation without notice. Do not copy it, or post it to any other site, but link to it instead.