Manager Information Technology Services 1
- Written Test To Be Held
- April 25, 2020
You may be assigned to either Saturday or Sunday.
Please refer to the information below.
- Applications Must Be Submitted or Postmarked By
- March 11, 2020
|Exam Number||Exam Title||Open to Employees of||Salary||Salary Grade||Non−Refundable Processing Fee (Waivers available)|
|38-719||Manager Information Technology Services 1||Multiple Agencies||*||SG-27/M-2||$25|
|38-720||Manager Information Technology Services 1 (Data Communications)||Multiple Agencies||*||SG-27/M-2|
|38-721||Manager Information Technology Services 1 (Database)||Multiple Agencies||*||SG-27/M-2|
|38-722||Manager Information Technology Services 1 (Operations)||Multiple Agencies||*||SG-27/M-2|
|38-723||Manager Information Technology Services 1 (System Programming)||Multiple Agencies||*||SG-27/M-2|
|38-724||Manager Information Technology Services 1 (Technical)||Multiple Agencies||*||SG-27/M-2|
|You may be assigned to either Saturday or Sunday to take your test. The Department of Civil Service reserves the right to administer tests either online or with paper booklets and answer sheets. Your admission notice will tell you whether your test will be administered online. You cannot request a day in advance or change your scheduled day.|
|IMPORTANT: Unless waived, you must pay the non-refundable processing fee. For information on fee waivers, visit https://www.cs.ny.gov/examannouncements/types/oc/appinfo.cfm##Fee. It is important that you verify that you entered the correct examination number and title on your online or paper application prior to submitting. If you apply online, you should immediately review your email confirmation notice to verify that you applied for the correct examination. If you do not receive a confirmation number after submitting your online application, your application was NOT received by the Department of Civil Service. No late applications will be accepted after the filing deadline has passed.|
Interdepartmental promotion examination open to all qualified employees of New York State
For Promotion in State Departments, Facilities, and Agencies
1. Within Promotion Units 2. Within Entire Departments 3. To Other Departments
*On or before April 25, 2020, you must be a qualified employee of New York State and have had 45 days of permanent competitive or 55-b/55-c service as a Chief Computer Operator, Information Technology Specialist 3, Information Technology Specialist 3 (Data Communications), Information Technology Specialist 3 (Database), Information Technology Specialist 3 (Programming), Information Technology Specialist 3 (Systems Programming), Information Technology Specialist 4, Information Technology Specialist 4 (Data Communications), Information Technology Specialist 4 (Database), Information Technology Specialist 4 (Operations), or Information Technology Specialist 4 (Systems Programming).
Only the title or titles listed are qualifying.
If you were permanently appointed to a qualifying title on or before March 11, 2020, and have served continuously in this title since that date, you are eligible to file for this examination.
Qualifying Experience for Appointment from the Eligible List
After one year of the service described in the Minimum Qualifications, successful candidates will be qualified for appointment from the eligible list.
Order of Certification
CERTIFICATION OF ELIGIBLE LISTS: When filling vacancies, agencies will have two options. One option is to request a general certification of the eligible list which will include all candidates, by score, in the order of certification: (1) within promotion units, (2) within entire Departments, or (3) to other Departments. Or, if it is determined that specific education and experience, beyond the minimum qualifications are required for a position, agencies have the option to request a selective certification of the eligible list in the same order of certification described above. The SELECTIVE CERTIFICATION will filter the results of the written test based on the responses to the online questionnaire. The selective certification will contain only the names of candidates who meet the specialized requirements, ranked by score, in the same order of certification described above. Final scores are based on the results of the written test only.
SELECTIVE CERTIFICATION: Approved applicants will have an opportunity to complete one online education and experience questionnaire that will be used for all titles on this announcement. Information provided on the questionnaire is subject to verification and may be used to qualify candidates for positions requiring specific education and experience beyond the minimum qualifications. Approved applicants will receive, via email, information about the process of completing the online questionnaire and when it will be available. It is very important that you provide an up-to-date email address on your application as you will receive important communication via email, including any potential opportunities to update the online education and experience questionnaire. The Department of Civil Service may update the items in the selective certification questionnaire during the life of these eligible lists. All approved candidates are encouraged to complete the questionnaire to maximize opportunities for appointment; only candidates who complete the questionnaire and receive a passing score on the written examination will be considered for positions being filled through the use of selective certification. The validity of your information will be verified. This questionnaire will NOT be scored and must be completed within the required time period specified in the email. Final scores for these examinations are based only on the written test. Names of candidates who pass the examination, but do not complete this questionnaire, will appear on certifications of the general eligible list only.
- One $25 non-refundable processing fee is required per application submission. You must select the individual examination(s) you are interested in during the application process. For example, you may apply for all six examinations listed and pay one $25 fee if processed during one online transaction. If you submit one online application for less than all of the examinations listed, and subsequently apply for additional examinations in this series, another $25 non-refundable processing fee will be required.
- You will not be scored for any examination for which you did not apply.
Subject of Examination
There will be a written test which you must pass in order to be considered for appointment. The written test is designed to test for knowledge, skills, and/or abilities in such areas as:
- Administration - These questions test for knowledge of the managerial functions involved in directing an organization or an organizational segment. These questions cover such areas as: developing objectives and formulating policies; making decisions based on the context of the administrator's position and authority; forecasting and planning, including succession planning; organizing; developing personnel; coordinating and informing; guiding and leading; testing and evaluating; and budgeting.
- Project management fundamentals - These questions test for knowledge of the techniques and concepts of project management. They may cover terminology and concepts; project scheduling and control techniques (e.g., CPM); creating and evaluating bids; monitoring project progress; controlling a project timeline; and evaluating the project.
- Supervision - These questions test for knowledge of the principles and practices employed in planning, organizing, and controlling the activities of a work unit toward predetermined objectives. The concepts covered, usually in a situational question format, include such topics as assigning and reviewing work; evaluating performance; maintaining work standards; motivating and developing subordinates; implementing procedural change; increasing efficiency; and dealing with problems of absenteeism, morale, and discipline.
- Systems Analysis - These questions test for techniques and concepts of computer systems analysis. They cover such subjects as feasibility and applications studies, systems development tools and software, the systems life cycle, types of systems (e.g., client/server, Web-based), controls, and systems documentation, testing, and implementation.
- Understanding and interpreting tabular material - These questions test your ability to understand, analyze, and use the internal logic of data presented in tabular form. You may be asked to perform tasks such as completing tables, drawing conclusions from them, analyzing data trends or interrelationships, and revising or combining data sets. The concepts of rate, ratio, and proportion are tested. Mathematical operations are simple, and computational speed is not a major factor in the test. You should bring with you a hand-held battery- or solarpowered calculator for use on this test. You will not be permitted to use the calculator function of your cell phone.
- Preparing reports and official documents - These questions test for the ability to prepare reports and other official documents for use within and among governmental agencies, in legal or regulatory settings, or for dissemination to the public. Some questions test for a knowledge of grammar, usage, punctuation, and sentence structure. Others test for the ability to present information clearly and accurately, to use the proper tone, and to organize paragraphs logically and comprehensibly.
If you pass, your seniority credit(s), if any, will be included in the computation of your final score. Rank on the eligible list will be determined after adding any wartime veterans' credits to your final passing score.
Credit for Seniority
Seniority is credited at the rate of one credit for each five-year period (or fraction thereof), excluding the first year of service.
As a Manager Information Technology Services 1, you would plan, direct and coordinate systems analysis, design, application program development, maintenance, implementation and quality assurance activities.
As a Manager Information Technology Services 1 (Data Communications), you would plan, direct and coordinate data communications activities including network design, analysis, capacity planning, installation, monitoring and maintenance.
As a Manager Information Technology Services 1 (Database), you would plan, direct and coordinate database design, development, installation and maintenance activities.
As a Manager Information Technology Services 1 (Operations), you would plan, direct, and coordinate computer operations activities including all data processing hardware and peripheral equipment operation.
As a Manager Information Technology Services 1 (Systems Programming), you would plan, direct and coordinate systems programming activities including the design, development, acquisition, modification, installation and maintenance of system software.
As a Manager Information Technology Services 1 (Technical), you would plan, direct and coordinate activities in any combination of two or more of the Information Resource Management (IRM) technical specialties. The specialties include database, data communications, operations and systems programming.
Important: The Department of Civil Service and other state agencies may communicate with you through email correspondence. This may include the notification of your examination results and canvassing you for interest in appointment. It will be important for you to keep your email address, phone number and mailing address current by logging into https://www.cs.ny.gov/home/myaccount.
How To Apply
You Can Also
- Download examination application NYS-APP form; or
- Email email@example.com to request NYS-APP forms; or
- Obtain an NYS-APP form from a State agency or facility personnel/business office; or
- Request NYS-APP form by calling the Department of Civil Service in the Albany area at 518-457-2487 or toll free at 1-877-697-5627.
The NYS Department of Civil Service reserves the right to reject for lateness or to accept applications filed after the advertised filing period. All statements you make on your application are subject to investigation.
New York State is an Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of the State of New York to provide for and promote equal opportunity employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without unlawful discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, religion, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, veteran or military service member status, marital status, domestic violence victim status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, arrest and/or criminal conviction record, or any other category protected by law, unless based upon a bona fide occupational qualification or other exception.
Most written tests are held on Saturdays. If you cannot take the test on the announced test date, due to a conflict with a religious observance or practice, check the box under “Religious Accommodation.” We will make arrangements for you to take the test on a different date (usually the following day).
Reasonable Accommodations in Testing
It is the policy of the Department of Civil Service, in accordance with the New York State Human Rights Law and the Americans with Disabilities Act, to provide qualified persons with disabilities equal employment opportunity and equal opportunity to participate in and receive the benefits, services, programs, and activities of the Department. It is the policy of the Department to provide such persons reasonable accommodations and reasonable modifications as are necessary to provide equal opportunity. Persons with disabilities who require an accommodation to participate in an examination must note this on their application. Further information is available from the Test Administration Unit of the Department of Civil Service. In the Albany area, call 518-457-2487. Outside of the Albany area, call toll free at 1-877-697-5627. For TDD services, call NY Relay at 711 (requires a fee) or 1-800-662-1220.
Admission to Examination
Notice to appear for the test may be conditional as review of applications may not be made until after the test. If you have not received your notice to appear for the written test three days before the date of the test, email us at AdmissionNotices@cs.ny.gov. Please provide your first and last name, address, and the last four digits of your social security number, and we will provide you with the information you need to attend your written test. If you have an issue other than not receiving your admission notice, please contact our office at (518) 474-6470 in the Albany area or toll free at 1-877-697-5627. Please leave a clear concise message and provide your first and last name, last four digits of your social security number and a daytime phone number.
Taking State and Local Examinations Scheduled for the Same Day
If you have applied to take a written test announced by either one or several local jurisdictions (county, town, city) scheduled to be held on the same test date as this written test, you must notify each of the local jurisdictions no later than two weeks before the test date to make arrangements for taking all tests at one test site. All tests will be held at the state examination center. For your convenience, contact information for all local civil service agencies is available on our website at: https://www.cs.ny.gov/jobseeker/local.cfm.
Eligibility for Examination
To be considered a qualified employee eligible to compete in this examination, you must be employed in, or on leave from, the specified department or agency on a permanent or contingent permanent basis in the competitive class, or in the non-competitive class or labor class if specifically noted on this announcement (or be on an appropriate preferred list), and have the specified time in the specified title or salary grade. You may not compete in a test for a title if you are permanently employed in that title (unless you are still on probation) or in a higher direct line of promotion.
Cell Phones or Electronic/Communication Devices at the Test Site
Do not bring cell phones, beepers, headphones, or any electronic or other communication devices to the test site. The use of such devices at the test site in the test room, hallways, restrooms, building, grounds, or other areas could result in your disqualification.
*Revised Material: 2/13/2020
This announcement is subject to amendment or cancellation without notice. Do not copy it, or post it to any other site, but link to it instead.