Public Buildings Manager 2
- Written Test To Be Held
- March 25, 2023
You may be assigned to either Saturday or Sunday to take your test.
You cannot request or change your scheduled day.
- Applications Must Be Submitted or Postmarked By
- February 08, 2023
|Exam Number||Exam Title||Open to Employees of||Salary||Salary Grade||Non−Refundable Processing Fee (Waivers available)|
|38-848||Public Buildings Manager 2||Multiple Agencies||*||SG-18||$15|
You must review important information on the New York State Department of Civil Service COVID-19 policy that applies to all candidates sitting for in-person Civil Service examinations being administered at a New York State test center. You can access our full policy on the Department of Civil Service website.
Due to current testing space limitations, candidates may need to travel to a test site to take this examination. Candidates will be notified of their test site location on their admission notice.
Interdepartmental promotion examination open to all qualified employees of New York State.
For Promotion in State Departments, Facilities, and Agencies
1. Within Promotion Units 2. Within Entire Departments 3. To Other Departments
On or before March 25, 2023, you must be a qualified employee of New York State and have had three months of permanent competitive or 55-b/55-c service as a:
Either A. Public Buildings Manager 1;
Or B. Maintenance Supervisor 1, Maintenance Supervisor 1 (Building), Maintenance Supervisor 2, Head Janitor, or Plant Utilities Engineer 2.
Only the title or titles listed are qualifying.
If you were permanently appointed to a qualifying title on or before December 25, 2022, and have served continuously in this title since that date, you are eligible to file for this examination.
Qualifying Experience For Appointment From The Eligible List: After one year of service described in the Minimum Qualifications, successful candidates will be qualified for appointment from the eligible list.
Eligibles who meet the “B” qualifications, and who are subsequently appointed to an “A” title, may request to have their name added to the “A” list, once they have completed the time in title year(s) of service in the “A” title. The request should be submitted in writing to the NYS Department of Civil Service, Albany, New York 12239; Attention: S-2LAK.
Order of Certification: The order of certification of this eligible list will be:
- Promotion "A" eligibles
- Promotion "All" eligibles
- Department "A" eligibles
- Department "All" eligibles
- Interdepartmental "A" eligibles
- Interdepartmental "All" eligibles
The Positions: These positions exist in the Office of General Services, State Insurance Fund and Workers' Compensation Board, and are located statewide.
As a Public Buildings Manager 2, you would supervise subordinate staff, contract workers, vendors, and consultants, in the performance of all maintenance, grounds, security, and custodial work in a medium to large governmental building or cluster of buildings. You would be the main point of contact for tenant agency representatives and visitors regarding building issues, ensuring customer satisfaction. You would be responsible for maintaining a scheduled maintenance program; supervising minor modifications to the building; inspecting office space to ensure that custodial work performed meets specifications and determining appropriateness of custodial procedures and methods; preparing budget requests; planning, prioritizing, and controlling the spending of allocations for your assigned area of responsibility; and managing building contracts.
- In accordance with Section 52.11 of the Civil Service Law, individuals serving permanently in the non-competitive or labor class in a qualifying title (including those serving under Section 55b/c) who otherwise meet the requirements for taking the examination are eligible to compete in this promotion examination.
- This examination is being held on a promotion and open-competitive basis. If you are admitted to the promotion examination under anticipated eligibility (i.e., you do not have the required one year of Qualifying Experience For Appointment From The Eligible List) and if you meet the open-competitive minimum qualifications, you may also be admitted to the open-competitive examination. To be admitted, you must apply for the open-competitive examination according to the instructions given on the open-competitive announcement. Once you meet the required one year of qualifying service for appointment from the promotion list, you will not be eligible for appointment from the open-competitive eligible list.
Subject of Examination
To be considered for appointment to this title, you must pass the written test. The written test evaluates your knowledge, skills, and/or abilities in the following areas:
- Supervision - These questions test for knowledge of the principles and practices employed in planning, organizing, and controlling the activities of a work unit toward predetermined objectives. The concepts covered, usually in a situational question format, include such topics as assigning and reviewing work; evaluating performance; maintaining work standards; motivating and developing subordinates; implementing procedural change; increasing efficiency; and dealing with problems of absenteeism, morale, and discipline.
- Building maintenance and repair - These questions test for knowledge of the basic principles, practices and techniques essential to the proper maintenance and repair of various types of buildings, including such areas as building maintenance, preventive maintenance, and minor repair of building structures, electrical, and plumbing systems. This may include maintenance and repair of roofs, windows, walls, floors, millwork, insulation, masonry, pipes and valves, electrical wiring and switches, and painting. Questions may also include topics such as the proper tools and materials used in building maintenance and repair work as well as proper and safe practices and techniques when using these tools and materials.
- Review and interpretation of plans and specifications, and the preparation of estimates - These questions test for the ability to read and understand typical building plans, layouts, and technical specifications; and for the ability to calculate accurate estimates of material and labor costs.
- Operation and maintenance of heating, ventilating and air conditioning systems - These questions test for knowledge of basic principles, practices and techniques essential to the correct operation and maintenance of heating, ventilating and air conditioning systems, including such areas as air supply and exhaust systems, circulating fan capacities, building ventilation requirements, steam, hot water, and hot air heating systems; boiler operation; the refrigeration cycle, types and characteristics of refrigerants, troubleshooting air conditioning system problems, and proper maintenance of air conditioning systems.
If you pass, your seniority credit(s), if any, will be included in the computation of your final score. Your final score on the eligible list will be determined after adding any wartime Veterans' credits.
Credit For Seniority: Seniority is credited at the rate of one credit for each five-year period (or fraction thereof), excluding the first year of service.
Note: The Department of Civil Service may administer tests either online or with paper booklets and answer sheets.
Applicants are required to have a Personal NY.gov account and keep their email address up to date. The Department of Civil Service and other state agencies will communicate with you through email correspondence. This may include the notification of your test arrangements, examination results, and canvassing you for interest in appointment. It will be important for you to keep your email address, phone number, and mailing address current by logging into https://www.cs.ny.gov/home/myaccount.
How To Apply
You Can Also
- Download examination application NYS-APP form; or
- Email email@example.com to request NYS-APP forms; or
- Obtain an NYS-APP form from a State agency or facility personnel/business office; or
- Request NYS-APP form by calling the Department of Civil Service in the Albany area at 518-457-2487 or toll free at 1-877-697-5627.
The NYS Department of Civil Service reserves the right to reject for lateness or to accept applications filed after the advertised filing period. All statements you make on your application are subject to investigation.
|Important: Unless waived, you must pay the non-refundable processing fee. For information on fee waivers, visit https://www.cs.ny.gov/examannouncements/types/oc/appinfo.cfm##Fee. Any past due application processing fees must be paid in full prior to submitting an application. Please email FeeUnitMail@cs.ny.gov regarding inquiries about any past due fee. It is important that you verify that you entered the correct examination number and title on your online or paper application prior to submitting. If you apply online, you should immediately review your email confirmation notice to verify that you applied for the correct examination.|
New York State is an Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of the State of New York to provide for and promote equal opportunity employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without unlawful discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, religion, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, veteran or military service member status, marital status, domestic violence victim status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, arrest and/or criminal conviction record, or any other category protected by law, unless based upon a bona fide occupational qualification or other exception.
Most written tests are held on Saturdays. If you cannot take the test on the announced test date, due to a conflict with a religious observance or practice, check the box under “Religious Accommodation.” We will make arrangements for you to take the test on a different date (usually the following day).
Reasonable Accommodations in Testing
It is the policy of the Department of Civil Service, in accordance with the New York State Human Rights Law and the Americans with Disabilities Act, to provide qualified persons with disabilities equal employment opportunity and equal opportunity to participate in and receive the benefits, services, programs, and activities of the Department. It is the policy of the Department to provide such persons reasonable accommodations and reasonable modifications as are necessary to provide equal opportunity. Persons with disabilities who require an accommodation to participate in an examination must note this on their application. Further information is available from the Test Administration Unit of the Department of Civil Service. In the Albany area, call 518-457-2487. Outside of the Albany area, call toll free at 1-877-697-5627. For TDD services, call NY Relay at 711 (requires a fee) or 1-800-662-1220.
Admission to Examination
Notice to appear for the test may be conditional as review of applications may not be made until after the test. If you have not received your notice to appear for the written test three days before the date of the test, email us at AdmissionNotices@cs.ny.gov. Please provide your first and last name, address, and the last four digits of your social security number, and we will provide you with the information you need to attend your written test. If you have an issue other than not receiving your admission notice, please contact our office at (518) 474-6470 in the Albany area or toll free at 1-877-697-5627. Please leave a clear concise message and provide your first and last name, last four digits of your social security number and a daytime phone number.
Taking State and Local Examinations Scheduled for the Same Day
If you have applied to take a written test announced by either one or several local jurisdictions (county, town, city) scheduled to be held on the same test date as this written test, you must notify each of the local jurisdictions no later than two weeks before the test date to make arrangements for taking all tests at one test site. All tests will be held at the state examination center. For your convenience, contact information for all local civil service agencies is available on our website at: https://www.cs.ny.gov/jobseeker/local.cfm.
Eligibility for Examination
To be considered a qualified employee eligible to compete in this examination, you must be employed in, or on leave from, the specified department or agency on a permanent or contingent permanent basis in the competitive class, or in the non-competitive class or labor class if specifically noted on this announcement (or be on an appropriate preferred list), and have the specified time in the specified title or salary grade. You may not compete in a test for a title if you are permanently employed in that title (unless you are still on probation) or in a higher direct line of promotion.
Cell Phones or Electronic/Communication Devices at the Test Site
The use of cell phones, beepers, headphones, or any electronic or other communication devices at your personal testing site or in the test room, hallways, restrooms, building, grounds, or other areas, except as expressly authorized by the Department of Civil Service, could result in your disqualification.
This announcement is subject to amendment or cancellation without notice. Do not copy it, or post it to any other site, but link to it instead.