Building Better HR -
Competency Focused, One Skill at a Time
In partnership with the NYS Personnel Council, NYS Training Council, NYS Affirmative Action Advisory Council and the Human Resource Academy Advisory Committee, core competencies have been identified for HR professionals in NYS. These competencies are the center of the HRAcademy as we work to bring opportunities to further enhance each and every one of these competencies. The HR Assessment has two goals: Provide a road map to help you identify your strengths as well as areas for improvement, and Provide the HRAcademy with an overview of training needs.
The HR Assessment is the first step towards designing your career path. Your role is to utilize the self-assessment and create your Individual Development Plan (IDP). We encourage all HR professionals to complete the assessment, discuss it with your supervisor and create an IDP. The HRAcademy is here to offer any assistance that you may need in completing your IDP and will take a proactive approach in assisting you to keep your IDP up to date.
Things to consider when completing the assessment:
- What skills, career opportunities, technologies interest you?
- Do those skills/interests/goals support your organization's needs and goals?
- What are the short and long term steps to get there? What technical skills do you need to get the job done?
- What social skills do you need to work with others?
- What are your strengths, natural talents, special abilities for doing, or learning to do, certain kinds of things?
- What is your attitude, outlook, feelings, mind-set, way of thinking and point of view?
- Does your career path align with the organization's workforce needs?
How the Assessment tool works:
- In order to complete the assessment, you will first have to complete a login process, which will require that you obtain a Civil Service ID and Password (if you have previously applied for NYS Civil Service promotion examinations on-line, you already have established your ID and Password). Click here for more information on obtaining an ID.
- There are four competency areas the assessment addresses:
- Organizational Competencies
- Professional Competencies
- Personal Competencies
- New York State Public Personnel and Merit System Administration Competencies
These four main topics cover the breadth of HR in NYS. The section titled New York State Public Personnel and Merit System Administration Competencies will apply to you in your current position, however it is important to realize that the assessment has been designed to give you an overview of the HR field in NYS. Although a particular subtopic does not apply to you currently, it may be an area to explore as you design your career path. No one is expected to have expertise in all of these areas.
After you complete the assessment:
- Meet with your supervisor to discuss your IDP.
- Discuss the following with your supervisor: Where have I been? Where am I now? Where can I go?
- Identify and get feedback from your supervisor on your strengths, areas of opportunities and future aspirations.
- Together with your supervisor, identify ways to build on your strengths, developmental opportunities and critical competencies required to perform your current job.
- Use a Performance Log for tracking, recording and getting feedback from your supervisor. Record dates, events, expectations and the impact of action steps on your development. Make sure to record:
- Observations of enhanced skills or knowledge and how they were applied.
- Progress towards goals and objectives.
- Observations where skills/knowledge could be applied.