Individual Development Plan
What It Is
- An Individual Development Plan (IDP) identifies your learning and developmental goals.
- The plan documents your goals, desired competencies, required skills and objectives needed for your continuous improvement and professional development.
- It is created by you, working closely with your manager to develop a plan that is aligned with your goals and your agency's business needs.
- The plan contains training, education, and development activities (formal and informal) to acquire the competencies needed to meet the IDP goals.
When To Use It
- To identify and assess future developmental needs in required competency areas.
- To provide structured learning experiences linked to organizational needs, goals, and job requirements.
- To establish an agreed-upon set of learning objectives and developmental activities as part of a formal career development program.
How To Use It
- Use the IDP to help assess the individual's current skill levels, strengths, and developmental needs. The IDP can also be used to compare an individual's current ability with the required job competencies.
- Mutually determine developmental activities to be included in the IDP.
- Conduct an IDP meeting.
- Review and update the IDP regularly (once a quarter or twice a year).
Relationship To Other Learning Strategies
As described below, learning strategies are often used in combination with one another or may be closely linked to one another.
Self-Development is taking personal responsibility for one's own learning and development.
New Projects and Responsibilities
Explore what new projects and responsibilities you can assist with in your own department. You can use such opportunities to develop new skills such as web design, business writing, and project management.
Workshops and Seminars
The Councils and professional organizations offers a variety of workshops and seminars that help you develop your work and computer technology skills.
There are a variety of educational opportunities available at local private and State colleges and universities.
Interested staff can be paired with mentors for a variety of activities including information interviews, shadowing, tutorials, etc.
Click here for a sample IDP(35KB).