New York State Workers' Compensation Program Bulletin

For New York State Government Employees New York State has a system for employees to report work-related injuries and illnesses. The system is called ARS, the Accident Reporting System. Call the ARS toll-free number, 1-888-800-0029, to report a work-related injury or illness 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday (excluding State holidays).


Call the Accident Reporting System (ARS) to report a work-related injury or illness 1-888-800-0029 toll free, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday (excluding State holidays).*

Call 1-888-800-0029 to report a work-related injury or illness. Call right away. Your injury or illness report will be taken quickly and confidentially. Write down the incident number the ARS Call Center gives you.

  • Get medical help if you need it. Tell your doctor that your injury or illness is work related.
  • Report your injury or illness to your supervisor.
  • Questions? Please call your personnel office or safety office for complete information on ARS and your benefits.

Why Call ARS?

Your call to ARS helps make sure all your workers' compensation benefits are available to you as soon as possible. Depending on the nature of your injury or illness, benefits may include medical treatment, wage replacement, leave usage and other benefits.

Your call to ARS helps reduce administrative costs by managing much of the work load each agency used to handle. And, ARS helps track injuries and illnesses.

Safety Goal

New York State wants to keep its employees safe. If you do have a work-related injury or illness, we want to make sure you understand your responsibilities and benefits. We also want to provide agencies and safety and health committees with information on the causes of injuries and illnesses. Then we can work together to eliminate or reduce them.

ARS lets you report work-related injuries and illnesses quickly and easily. The coordinated State effort will help us find ways to reduce accidents.

ARS Card


The ARS toll-free number is on your handy wallet card. If you lose your card or need a replacement, please see your personnel office.

* Leave a message when the Call Center is closed. A representative will return your call the next business day in order to report the injury or illness and obtain an ARS number.


It's Easy to Call ARS

"I was walking down the hall at work when I sprained my ankle. I told my supervisor. I went to the hospital emergency room and left with crutches. I told the hospital that the accident was work related. Then, I remembered the card I had in my wallet with a number to call to report a work related accident.

When I got home, I called 1-888-800-0029. A friendly voice answered, 'Good afternoon. You've reached the Accident Reporting System. Are you calling to report a work-related incident?'

She asked if I was an employee of New York State and whether the accident had already been reported.

I gave her the details of the accident, my name and my Social Security number. I was able to make the call, but someone else could have made the call for me.

I gave her the name of a witness and explained that I had gone to the emergency room and had been treated for a sprained ankle.

I said that I had notified my supervisor about the accident. The woman gave me an incident number. She thanked me for calling ARS and explained that if I had any questions about this incident report to contact my personnel or safety office."

Questions & Answers

Q. How will I know what phone number to call for ARS?

A. Your wallet-sized card gives the ARS toll-free number and steps to follow. Also, check the posters at your work site.

Q. What if I am injured when the Call Center is closed?

A. Leave a message and a representative will return your call the next business day in order to report the injury or illness and obtain an ARS number.

Q. When I call the ARS toll-free number to report my work-related injury or illness, is that all I have to do?

A. You must also report your injury or illness to your supervisor as soon as possible.

Q. What if I am seriously injured and can't call to report the injury?

A. The report to the ARS Call Center can be made by a supervisor, a co-worker or a family member.

Q. Will the ARS Call Center be able to answer questions about Workers' Compensation benefits?

A. No, the ARS Call Center is only for reporting work-related injuries or illnesses. Call your personnel or safety office for benefit information.


This bulletin explains the Accident Reporting System. Call 1-888-800-0029 to report a work-related injury or illness. If you have questions about the program or need help to understand this bulletin, please contact your personnel or safety office.


Este boletín explica el Sistema para Notificar Accidentes. Llame al 1-888-800-0029 para notificar cualquier lesión o enfermedad relacionada con su trabajo. Si tiene preguntas sobre el programa o necesita ayuda para entender éste boletín, llame a su oficina de personal o seguridad.

Fraud Statement on Workers' Compensation

Any person who knowingly with intent to defraud makes a materially false statement, or conceals a material fact to obtain a benefit, shall be guilty of a crime and subject to fines and imprisonment. Report suspected workers' compensation fraud to:

Workers' Compensation Fraud
Inspector General's Office
1-888-363-6001 (toll free)

To file a report electronically, go to

PDF Version