Professional Career Opportunities - Job Title Details
Business Systems Analyst 1 (Health), G-18
Business Systems Analysts (Health) analyze the business needs of a health of health insurance program to reach goals, identify problems and propose solutions. Employees also perform a liaison function between program staff and service providers, and may take an active role in the technical aspects of design and problem resolution. The positions combine specific health care program knowledge relating to New York State and federal public health insurance programs with a technical knowledge and expertise related to automated health insurance information systems used to support such programs. These positions are located in the Department of Health.
Who has this title?
You must meet the requirements below to qualify for this title.
Bachelor's or higher degree and two years of business analysis experience in a large health care facility, health related governmental entity, health insurance company, large health care provider organization or employer, or with the New York State Medical Assistance (Medicaid) Program in a New York State agency or a New York State local social services district or county where a major portion of duties included administration of government sponsored medical assistance programs where your primary duty was performing three of the five following activities:
- Using business analysis techniques to elicit requirements as the foundation for the solution to the organizations business needs (e.g., workshops, focus groups, interviews, observation, brainstorming, surveys/questionnaires, JAD Sessions).
- Using business analysis techniques for the purpose of identifying solutions aimed at improving the efficiency and effectiveness of the system, business process, or product/service to fulfill the business requirements (e.g., Data Flow Diagram, Business Process Model, Root Cause Analysis, Fish Bone Diagram, Context Diagram, Business Process Flows, or Fit-Gap Analysis).
- Describing in a comprehensive written document what the system, process, or product service must do in order to satisfy the established business requirement; this includes creating, updating, and maintaining documentation through the system development life cycle (e.g., Business Case, Use Case, Business Requirements Document [BRD], Fit-Gap Analysis, Impact and feasibility Analysis, Change Management Analysis).
- Validating requirements throughout the product/system development life cycle (SDLC) including all changes to the processes that would enable an organization to achieve its goals.
- Verifying requirements throughout the product/system development life cycle (SDLC) to ensure they perform to the required specifications and are capable of achieving the design capabilities; this includes developing test plans/scenarios and logical designs, testing the scenarios, reviewing test results, identifying constraints and risks, and/or communicating with stakeholders.
The following activities are not considered qualifying experience:
- Conducting or overseeing operational audits or audits of internal controls to develop audit reports and make recommendations to management regarding policies, practices, procedures and resources - Responsibility limited to forms design and changes to forms.
- Business related operational responsibilities, including serving internal and external customers, using a business system in the performance of daily operational duties, managing staff with business responsibilities, etc.
- Information technology-related responsibilities such as hardware installation, network configuration, software administration and programming.
- Development of instructional materials and classroom training.
- Help desk duties including troubleshooting, resolving user issues, and providing customer service.
To apply for the examination for this PCO Select Job Title you must apply for the PCO examination by February 22, 2017, fill out and submit the PCO Questionnaire by April 5, 2017, and take the PCO written test in April of 2017. The application for and information about the PCO examination is at: https://www.cs.ny.gov/pco/.