Workforce and Succession Planning
What It Is and Why We Do It
Workforce and succession planning are two parts of the same whole; a systematic approach for identifying and addressing the gaps between the workforce of today and the needs of tomorrow. It is a dynamic and continuous process that involves executive leaders, Human Resources (HR) Offices, employees, managers and others working together to identify the right person, for the right job at the right time. For the purposes of this guide, we will use the terms interchangeably; however, you will decide what future talent planning approach is best for your agency and use the tools in this guide accordingly.
Effective workforce and succession planning enables an agency to:
- Align workforce requirements directly to an agency's strategic and operational plans;
- Find the gaps that exist between current workforce competencies and future competency requirements;
- Identify and implement talent gap reduction strategies;
- Decide how best to structure an organization and deploy its workforce; and
- Identify and overcome internal and external barriers to accomplishing strategicgoals.