Occ. Code 0612100
TAX INFORMATION AIDE, NS
New York State Department of Civil Service
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF CLASS
Tax Information Aides respond to verbal, written and electronic inquiries from taxpayers and their representatives regarding New York State and/or New York City taxes, or provide information to the general public relating to State sponsored programs.
Positions are classified only in the Department of Taxation and Finance; most are assigned to the Central Office, others are located in the District Offices.
Tax Information Aide: seasonal, hourly employees; respond to verbal, written and/or electronic inquiries from taxpayers and their representatives or from the public for the purpose of providing general information and assistance on tax related matters. When assigned to a Call Center, incumbents wear a headset and answer telephone calls which are automatically and continuously distributed by the telephone system.
Taxpayer Services Representatives 1 answer more technical taxpayer inquiries; assist taxpayers in preparing tax forms, returns, registrations and licenses; and explain provisions and requirements of the tax law.
Agency Services Representatives explain and interpret agency rules, regulations, policies and/or procedures in addition to answering routine questions. They are expected to understand activities of the program area in which they work, and use independent judgment to make decisions where a clear precedent does not exist.
Duties may include some or all of the following tasks:
- Elicit information from callers to determine the nature of the inquiry.
- Answer routine, simple questions related to the filing of New York State tax returns and filing requirements for other programs administered by the Department.
- Respond in writing, in person or by telephone to inquiries from taxpayers or staff from the Departments Divisions of Audit, Tax Compliance, and Taxpayer Services and Revenue on a variety of topics, such as:
· filing requirements for current, amended or delinquent tax returns,
· tax refunds and refund procedures,
· the procedures and requirements for requesting extension of filing dates for tax returns.
- Research answers by referring to tax law, regulations and other related material such as publications, tax forms and schedules, and various Department data files. Refer more complex inquiries to higher level staff members.
- Assist taxpayers in initiating requests for adjustment to their tax returns.
- Enter data into, and retrieve data from, the Departments automated tax files.
- May provide office support such as receiving, date-stamping and routing incoming mail, and collating informational packets for mailings.
- Performs other related duties as required.
INDEPENDENCE OF OPERATION
Tax Information Aides work within clearly defined guidelines. Incumbents are typically supervised by Department staff in any position allocated to Grade 9 or above.
Tax Information Aides provide assistance on more routine tax related matters. Incumbents must be familiar with the basic provisions of the tax laws, rules, and regulations, and have knowledge of Departmental procedures governing filing, payment and processing of returns and registrations.
Tax Information Aides have telephone, face-to-face and written contact with the general public. Incumbents must be tactful, polite, helpful and able to communicate with a wide cross-section of people on routine tax related matters, or provide formatted general information. Incumbents must be able to provide information in a calm, courteous and reasonable manner even under very difficult, highly stressful and, at times, confrontational circumstances.
NOTE: Classification Standards illustrate the nature, extent and scope of duties and responsibilities of the classes they describe. Standards cannot and do not include all of the work that might be appropriately performed by a class. The minimum qualifications above are those which were required for appointment at the time the Classification Standard was written. Please contact the Division of Staffing Services for current information on minimum qualification requirements for appointment or examination.