Occ. Code 1907100
BUSINESS OFFICER 1, GRADE 18
BUSINESS OFFICER 2, GRADE 23
BUSINESS OFFICER 3, M-1
BUSINESS OFFICER 4, M-2
BUSINESS OFFICER 5, M-4
New York State Department of Civil Service
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF CLASS SERIES
Business Officers perform, coordinate, and oversee business, fiscal, and support service activities for facilities and programs operated by the Office of Mental Health (OMH) and Office for People With Developmental Disabilities (OPWDD). Incumbents perform or oversee business and financial management functions related to accounting, budgeting, contract administration, inventory control, and purchasing; and plan and administer support service operations, which may include environmental services/housekeeping, nutirition/food service, maintenance, physical plant, safety and security, and transportation services.
Positions are classified in OMH and OPWDD.
Factors that determine the number and level of Business Officers classified for a business office operation include the scope of the operation; dollar value and variety of budgets, contracts, and/or grants administered by the business office; number of facilities, locations, employees, and/or programs served by the business office; and number and level of staff dedicated to business office activities.
BUSINESS OFFICER 1: full performance level; under the general direction of a higher-level Business Officer, performs professional tasks in one or more of the above functional areas; and may supervise administrative support staff.
BUSINESS OFFICER 2: supervisory level; under the general direction of a higher-level Business Officer, performs duties in the above functional areas, and is generally responsible for a significant segment of a business office operation; and supervises Business Officers 1 and administrative support staff.
BUSINESS OFFICER 3: managerial level; manages, oversees, and directs business office operations for a facility with fewer than 1,000 employees; and supervises lower-level Business Officers.
BUSINESS OFFICER 4: managerial level; manages, oversees, and directs business office operations for a facility with more than 1,000 employees, or multiple facilities; and supervises lower-level Business Officers.
BUSINESS OFFICER 5: one position class; functions as the director of OMHs Consolidated Business Office in Central Office.
BUSINESS OFFICER 1
Performs, coordinates, and monitors facility business office activities; and assists in planning and administering support service operations.
· Assists in managing financial resources and accounts, which may include the preparation and administration of the facilitys annual budget and financial plan.
· Conducts financial analyses and makes recommendations based on findings.
· Identifies spending trends, differences between actual and projected spending, and the reasons for such; and prepares cost projections and spending plans.
· Reviews and tracks expenditures; and prepares and evaluates financial data and reports to ensure compliance with applicable requirements.
· Assists in the development of budget requests; reviews budget proposals; discusses and clarifies information with facility managers; and prepares budget recommendations, estimates, and justifications.
· Researches and provides recommendations on vendors and cost-effective measures for acquiring goods, equipment, and services; and may meet with vendors and contractors to discuss potential purchases and negotiate pricing.
· Monitors inventory levels; reviews and approves purchase requests; advises on acquisition sources and requirements; and identifies and resolves discrepancies.
· Participates in, coordinates, and/or oversees contract and grant administration activities and procurement processes; reviews and evaluates financial documents and proposals; and monitors and approves payments and reports.
· Monitors contract performance through observations, cost reviews, and meetings with program staff.
· Participates in coordinating, evaluating, and overseeing the modification, repair, improvement, and furnishing of facility-owned and leased space, including required maintenance and other services provided by contract or facility staff.
· Provides technical assistance, guidance, and training to facility staff on business office policies and procedures.
May represent the business office at meetings to present fiscal information and concerns; participate on committees and workgroups; assist in the development of business office policies and procedures; and perform the full range of supervisory duties for administrative support staff.
BUSINESS OFFICER 2
Performs the duties and activities of Business Officer 1 positions described above, and performs the full range of supervisory duties for Business Officers 1 and administrative support staff.
BUSINESS OFFICER 3 AND 4
Business Officers 3 and 4 perform similar duties and are differentiated by the number of employees at a facility, and the number of facilities for which a position is responsible. Positions perform the following duties:
· Plan, manage, oversee, and direct facility business office and support service operations, including the expenditure and accounting of funds appropriated in the annual budget.
· Develop, revise, and implement business office policies and procedures.
· Supervise lower-level Business Officers and administrative support staff.
BUSINESS OFFICER 5
Directs OMHs Consolidated Business Office in Central Office, including business management and administrative services provided to facility business offices, Central Office, Cook Chill Production Center, and Capital Operations.
· Manages and oversees statewide accounts payable and receivable, contract and procurement, payroll, and administrative and systems support operations.
· Provides guidance, direction, and oversight to facility-based Business Officers to ensure compliance with applicable policies, laws, rules, and regulations.
· Supervises and oversees professional and administrative support staff in the Consolidated Business Office.
BUSINESS OFFICER 1
Open Competitive: a bachelors degree and two years of experience in the administration of a business office or program, including responsibility for one or more of the following areas: accounting, budgeting, contract administration, and purchasing; or completion of a two-year traineeship.
BUSINESS OFFICER 2
Promotion: one year of service as a Business Officer 1.
BUSINESS OFFICER 3
Promotion: one year of service as a Business Officer 2.
BUSINESS OFFICER 4
Promotion: one year of service as a Business Officer 3.
BUSINESS OFFICER 5
Promotion: one year of service as a Business Officer 4.
NOTE: Classification Standards illustrate the nature, extent, and scope of duties and responsibilities of the classes they describe. Standards cannot and do not include all of the work that might be appropriately performed by a class. The minimum qualifications above are those which were required for appointment at the time the Classification Standard was written. Please contact the Division of Staffing Services for current information on minimum qualification requirements for appointment or examination.