Occ. Code 2255100
LOTTERY MARKETING REPRESENTATIVE 1, GRADE 16
SUPERVISING LOTTERY MARKETING REPRESENTATIVE, GRADE 18
New York State Department of Civil Service
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF CLASS SERIES
Positions in this series assist with the sales, promotions, merchandising, and education efforts associated with new and existing lottery games and machines at retailers for the purpose of maximizing the sales of Lottery products within an assigned territory.
These positions are classified only in the Gaming Commission.
Lottery Marketing Representative 1: full performance level; engage in extensive face-to-face communications by visiting existing Lottery retailers in an assigned territory to assist retailers in maximizing sales at their location; telephone retailers and follow-up on actual visits; oversee each retailers instant game inventory, projecting Lottery business needs and forecasting sales to reduce instances of stock being exhausted; remove slow moving inventory/products; visit and recruit potential retailers to market Lottery games; and encourage retailer participation in selling and promoting Lottery products to their customers.
Due to the travel requirements of the position, incumbents must possess and continue to maintain a valid license to operate a motor vehicle in New York State.
Supervising Lottery Marketing Representative: first supervisory level; manages the day-to-day activities of a group of Lottery Marketing Representatives 1, under the general direction of a Lottery Regional Director or Lottery Regional Manager or other administrator.
Lottery Marketing Specialists are responsible for improving Lottery sales in assigned regions. Responsibilities focus on, but are not limited to, corporate relations, sales, marketing, promotions, and operations issues. They may be responsible for Lottery sales and marketing presentations to specific chain and independent retailers and media and corporate partners.
Lottery Marketing Representative 1
Maximize sales and retailer service at locations within an assigned territory.
· Assist retailers in maximizing sales at their location by analyzing each retailer's point of sale material and existing lottery game sales.
· Assist or prepare the scheduling of orders to establish optimum inventory levels.
· Visit each retailer in the assigned territory on a regular cycle; assist with promotion, merchandising, and sale of Lottery products; demonstrate merchandising solutions; upgrade point of sale presence; and resolve specific concerns on the part of the retailer.
Provide ongoing merchandising support.
· Reset displays and deliver point of sale materials from vehicle stock directly to retailers.
· As required, may lift and carry sale and display materials of varying weight and sizes from their vehicle to retailer locations.
· May assemble or assist in assembling or setting up displays to promote Lottery products.
Educate and support retailers with new game development, products, prize structures, price points, promotions, incentives, sales-building programs, merchandising, advertising, terminal operations, new marketing and sales strategies, and Winner Awareness using laptops/printers.
Assist retailers with operational problems and provide technical assistance as needed.
· Assist retailers in reporting problems to the other Lottery staff or a Lottery contractor; follow-up with retailers to ensure timely response by other Lottery staff and/or a Lottery contractor in order to minimize the impact on sales.
· Identify specific procedural or policy problems being conducted at the retailer location and provide clarification to the retailer.
· Consult with supervisor regarding more complicated issues or promotions.
Conduct marketing surveys for retailers in the field and report information via the Sales Force Automation Software.
Administer Lottery Sales Programs within an assigned territory.
· Establish specific sales goals for individual retailers for each Lottery product based upon analysis of sales trends.
· Respond to shipment delivery issues; contact shipping companies as needed; keep supervisor apprised of delivery issues.
· Facilitate credit resolution with retailer and/or contractors for all Lottery products.
· Prepare and execute electronic trade ups of Instant Games in an effort to establish the best possible product mix for retailers.
· Analyze the appropriateness of an Instant Ticket Vending Machine (ITVM) at retail locations and provide recommendations to supervisor.
Prepare and maintain various reports.
· Prepare and compile daily reports of visits to retailers to analyze trends using standard software and Sales Force Automation tools at the retailer site.
· Prepare daily electronic report history for each retailer visited via a route or non-route visit and file reports daily; synchronize or connect laptop to enable review by the supervisor.
· Maintain accuracy of retailer files in an assigned territory and monitor contractor/retailer service.
· Submit data electronically via standard software programs and the Sales Force Automation software.
· Prepare required field activity reports such as targeted marketing reports, vehicle usage reports, and travel vouchers.
Develop participation of additional retailers within an assigned territory.
· Explore communities in an assigned territory to provide leads for Lottery retailer expansion.
· Research and recruit additional prospective retailers in an assigned territory and maintain awareness of any new outlets opening that may be appropriate for Lottery product distribution.
Interaction with the Public.
· Serve as the first line of agency contact with the general public.
· Conduct local event coverage such as street fairs, festivals, and local promotions at retailer locations or sporting venues, press conferences, winner events, and other special events.
· May make oral presentations and/or conduct games, give promotions, and sell lottery tickets.
Supervising Lottery Marketing Representative
May perform all of the same duties and functions of a Lottery Marketing Representative 1.
Supervise subordinate staff.
· Provide supervision, guidance, and oversight to subordinate staff, and intervene and resolve problems as necessary.
· Determine and oversee staff assignments.
· Approve leave and track time and attendance.
· Review, monitor, and evaluate staff performance.
· Complete performance evaluations.
· Identify training needs and arrange for provision of training.
· Manage and direct program activities by setting priorities and deadlines.
Motivate and manage a group of Lottery Marketing Representatives 1.
· Monitor the implementation of the marketing programs to retailers.
· Oversee reporting paperwork related to marketing visits.
· Analyze reports and independently visit retailers to monitor Lottery Marketing Representatives 1 administration of the lottery sales program.
· Accompany Lottery Marketing Representatives 1 to retailers, researching, directing, and participating in the development and implementation of sales promotions.
· Ensure consistent communications with existing and new retailers through the management and coordination of staff.
Lottery Marketing Representative 1
Open Competitive: six years of experience in a position involving experience managing a retail business, servicing retail sales accounts, or marketing products to retail accounts, including: advertising, marketing communications, product research, or promotion.
Supervising Lottery Marketing Representative
Promotion: one year of permanent competitive service as a Lottery Marketing Representative 1.
NOTE: Classification Standards illustrate the nature, extent, and scope of duties and responsibilities of the classes they describe. Standards cannot and do not include all of the work that might be appropriately performed by a class. The minimum qualifications above are those which were required for appointment at the time the Classification Standard was written. Please contact the Division of Staffing Services for current information on minimum qualification requirements for appointment or examination.