Occ. Code 2847310
Director capital operations, m-4
New York State Department of Civil Service
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF CLASS
The Director Capital Operations oversees all capital planning and project activities at the Office of Mental Health (OMH); develops and manages OMHs annual capital budget; and oversees OMHs psychiatric center plant operation and maintenance and safety programs.
This position is only classified for the Administrative Support Services Group at OMH.
DIRECTOR CAPITAL OPERATIONS: one position class; oversees all OMH capital planning and project activities; develops capital budgets; and provides administrative oversight to psychiatric center plant operation and maintenance, and safety programs.
Develops and manages OMHs annual capital budget.
· Coordinates funding analysis to determine budget needs, and develops requests to reflect those needs as part of the annual budget process.
· Utilizes work scopes, cost estimates, and proposed project schedules to develop annual capital budgets, spending plans, projections, and to manage ongoing capital finance work.
Oversees OMH capital program activities.
· Supervises staff in the review and approval of design document submissions, bid results, and construction project sign-offs for final payment.
· Develops and manages space conditioning programs for all psychiatric centers.
· Develops program criteria for the size and relationship of spaces, and design specifications for all building components, including heating, ventilation, air conditioning, fire alarm, windows, doors, walls, ceilings, and floors.
Provides administrative oversight to psychiatric center plant operation and maintenance programs.
· Manages agency-wide efforts for compliance with federal and State environmental regulations, including air permit and fuel storage compliance, asbestos abatement, indoor air quality issues, and implementation of executive orders.
· Coordinates OMHs response to regulatory agencies as it relates to periodic reporting requirements, consent orders, audit and disclosure reports, and permit compliance reports.
· Administers OMHs statewide energy program and ensures program compliance with energy use reduction initiatives.
Manages psychiatric center safety and security programs to ensure facilities meet Occupational Safety and Health Administration, Joint Commission, and Life Safety Code standards.
· Develops and implements statewide policies and procedures to ensure regular inspection and evaluation of safety practices and code compliance; highlights hazards, and ensures corrective action.
· Monitors and reviews the activity and operation of safety and security offices through site assessments and management reports.
· Reviews equipment inventories, service contracts, safety and security systems, and occupational health and safety guidance materials.
Represents OMH in discussions with the Dormitory Authority of the State of New York, the Office of General Services, the Division of the Budget, and other agencies as it relates to the development and implementation of OMHs capital programs.
Open Competitive: bachelors degree and seven years of administrative experience in capital operations of a large mental health organization. Four years of the experience must have included capital planning and project management experience, and two years of the experience must have been at a managerial level.
NOTE: Classification Standards illustrate the nature, extent, and scope of duties and responsibilities of the classes they describe. Standards cannot and do not include all of the work that might be appropriately performed by a class. The minimum qualifications above are those which were required for appointment at the time the Classification Standard was written. Please contact the Division of Staffing Services for current information on minimum qualification requirements for appointment or examination.