Tentative Classification Standards issued by the Division of Classification & Compensation are shared with the operating agencies of State government for their consideration and comment. Accordingly, this document that you are viewing is subject to change and will be issued in final form at the completion of the review period.
Occ. Code 2874980
DIRECTOR SECURITY STAFFING PROJECT, M-3
York State Department of Civil Service
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF CLASS
The one position in this title series oversees the
overall operation of a Security Information and Staffing Unit. The incumbent
supervises staff evaluating and analyzing security staffing operations for
multiple facility categories for an agency with Statewide facility presence.
This position is classified in the Department of
Correctional Services (DOCS). All incumbents at DOCS assist in the total care
and confinement of inmates sentenced to the custody of the Department and
perform various duties and functions in conjunction with the overall operation
of a facility and/or location to which they are assigned.
DIRECTOR SECURITY STAFFING PROJECT: one position title; member of the executive level
management team; responsible for analyzing and evaluating security staffing
operations for Correctional Facilities in New York State.
Oversees the daily operations of DOCS Security
Information and Staffing Unit. The Security Information and Staffing Unit
analyzes security services and staff deployment at New York State Correctional Facilities
identifying deficiencies, responding to requests for analysis, and recommending
- Analyzes and reviews security at the NYS DOCS
- Responds to State DOCS staff requests for
facility security evaluations.
- Identifies correctional facility operational
staffing deficiencies and surpluses.
- Identifies facility staffing needs for the
Deputy Commissioner for Facility Operations.
- Recommends facility staffing policy changes to
the Deputy Commissioner for Facility Operations.
Supervises subordinate staff.
- Provides supervision, guidance, and oversight to
subordinate staff, and intervenes and resolves problems as necessary.
- Determines and oversees staff assignments.
- Approves leave and tracks time and attendance.
- Reviews, monitors, and evaluates staff
- Completes performance evaluations.
- Identifies training needs and arranges for
provision of training.
- Manages and directs program activities by
setting priorities and deadlines.
Reviews staff overtime at all facilities.
- Monitors security overtime analyzing the cause
and identifying and recommending areas for possible reductions.
- Implements corrective action to reduce overtime.
- Reviews proposals for security staff post
- Reviews Security Information and Staffing Unit
staff activities to uncover excessive overtime and staff absenteeism.
Assists in the preparation of the annual budget
required for the operation of correctional service facilities.
- Reviews with the Deputy Commissioner for
Facility Operations facility operations initiatives identified and
submitted as part of the agency budget request.
- Prepares supporting documentation to justify
- Provides the Division of Budget with necessary
security staffing information in support of the annual budget request.
Provides technical support to facility staff on all
necessary staff deployment issues.
- Coordinates daily security staffing concerns
with facility Superintendents and the Deputy Commissioner for Facility
- Regularly meets with facility Superintendents on
staffing and overtime issues.
- Oversees on a regular basis, at least weekly,
the preparation of reports for the Deputy Commissioner for Facility
Recruits, trains, and supervises all staff in the
Security Information and Staffing Unit.
- Interviews employee candidates for positions
within the Security Information and Staffing Unit and makes the final
determination in selecting the candidate for employment.
- Selects employees for special assignments within
- Reviews performance of employees in the Security
Information and Staffing Unit becoming involved in recommending employees
for training, counseling, and disciplinary action.
In partnership with management information system
staff, develops specific computer based information programs for staffing
- Determines program requirements and parameters.
- Provides technical assistance and training on
information systems to Department staff.
- Reviews the accuracy and effectiveness of
reports to determine if they are meeting the needs of facility personnel.
one year of permanent competitive service as a Correctional Staff Deployment
NOTE: Classification Standards illustrate the nature,
extent and scope of duties and responsibilities of the classes they describe.
Standards cannot and do not include all of the work that might be appropriately
performed by a class. The minimum qualifications above are those which were
required for appointment at the time the Classification Standard was written.
Please contact the Division of Staffing Services for current information on
minimum qualification requirements for appointment or examination.