Occ. Code 3101050
DIETITIAN TECHNICIAN, GRADE 11
DIETITIAN 1, GRADE 16
DIETITIAN 2, GRADE 18
New York State Department of Civil Service
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF CLASS SERIES
Positions in this series provide dietetic care and nutrition services to individuals* in State facilities or community residential settings. Incumbents assist in the management of food and nutrition program operations; participate in diet, meal, and menu planning and development; assist in and/or provide instruction on diet and nutrition therapy, meal planning, and food preparation and sanitation to individuals, families, and healthcare, direct care, and food service staff; and inspect and supervise food preparation, service areas, and meals to ensure compliance with dietetic care and nutrition plans, standards, regulations, and requirements.
Positions are classified in various State agencies.
*Individual refers to a person who is being treated or cared for, and is used in place of patient, client, or other nomenclature specific to an agency.
DIETITIAN TECHNICIAN: full performance level; under the supervision of a Dietitian, performs standardized nutritional care tasks and assists in providing dietetic care and nutrition services to individuals.
DIETITIAN 1: entry level; under the supervision of a Dietitian 2 or Nutrition Services Administrator, provides professional dietetic and nutrition services to individuals; and may supervise Dietitian Technicians, and food preparation and service staff.
DIETITIAN 2: full performance level; under the supervision of a Nutrition Services Administrator, provides professional dietetic and nutrition services to individuals; and may supervise Dietitian Technicians, Dietitians 1, or a small food preparation and service program(s).
Nutrition Services Administrators oversee, manage, and administer food and nutrition programs for individuals in State facilities or community residential settings; plan, and direct food preparation and service, and clinical dietetic program operations, such as nutrition counseling, menu planning, and food sanitation and safety operations; and supervise the activities of Dietitians, and other food and nutrition program staff.
Under the supervision of a Dietitian, assists in providing dietetic and nutrition services to individuals, which may include any of the tasks and activities described below for Dietitian 1 and 2.
· Maintains individuals records in accordance with program standards and requirements; and documents and updates individuals information, such as diet histories and plans, and modifications prescribed by physicians.
· Performs standardized dietetic care tasks, such as nutrition screenings and assessments on low-risk individuals.
· Observes individuals at mealtimes; records and reports observations, including eating habits and reactions to food and special diets; and consults with supervisor and treatment staff regarding changes in individuals diet and nutrition goals.
· Provides standard nutrition information and instruction on diets and food preparation activities to individuals, families, and healthcare staff.
· Inspects or supervises food preparation, handling, service areas, and meals; and assists in identifying deficiencies and implementing corrective action plans to ensure compliance with prescribed diets, menus, standards, and requirements.
· Monitors and maintains food service and supply inventories.
In addition to performing any of the tasks and activities of a Dietitian Technician above, provides professional dietetic and nutrition services to individuals and assists in the management of food and nutrition program operations.
· Serves as a member of multidisciplinary treatment team; completes nutrition screenings and assessments; consults with healthcare providers on individual diet therapy programs to determine nutritional needs and diet restrictions; and identifies and recommends regimens to improve and maintain individuals nutritional health.
· Develops, plans, and/or approves diets and menus, including changes and substitutions; initiates actions to modify menus based on individual preferences and concerns; and coordinates and supervises recipe development and standardization.
· Provides nutritional care instructions, information, training, and consultation services to individuals and families; healthcare, direct care, and food and nutrition staff; and community-based programs on nutrition therapy, menu planning, and food preparation, sanitation, and safety procedures.
· May supervise Dietitian Technicians, and food preparation and service staff; and perform the full range of supervisory duties.
In addition to performing the tasks and activities of a Dietitian 1 above, may supervise Dietitian Technicians, Dietitians 1, and a small food preparation and service program(s) and staff; and perform the full range of supervisory duties.
Non-Competitive: current registration with the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR) as a Dietetic Technician, Registered or Nutrition and Dietetics Technician, Registered.
Open Competitive: eligible for or current registration with the CDR as a Registered Dietitian (RD); or eligible for or current certification as a Dietitian-Nutritionist by the New York State Education Department (NYSED).
Promotion: current registration with the CDR as an RD or certification as a Dietitian-Nutritionist by the NYSED, and one year of service as a Dietitian 1.
Open Competitive: current registration with the CDR as an RD or certification as a Dietitian-Nutritionist by the NYSED, and one year of post-registration/certification experience proving dietetic services to individuals.
NOTE: Classification Standards illustrate the nature, extent, and scope of duties and responsibilities of the classes they describe. Standards cannot and do not include all of the work that might be appropriately performed by a class. The minimum qualifications above are those which were required for appointment at the time the Classification Standard was written. Please contact the Division of Staffing Services for current information on minimum qualification requirements for appointment or examination.