Occ. Code 3308700
Correctional Laundry & Housekeeping Services SupervisoR, GRADE 21
New York State Department of Civil Service
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF CLASS
The one position in this class conducts onsite evaluations of correctional facilities sanitation conditions and laundry operations. The incumbent tours each correctional facility to ensure the maintenance of a sanitary environment; assists in the training of inmates and staff in proper cleaning techniques; and provides recommendations on facility laundry operations.
This position is only classified in the Department of Correctional Services. Incumbents at the Department of Correctional Services assist in the care and confinement of inmates sentenced to the custody of the Department of Correctional Services and as such, assists in the overall operation of the facility to which he/she is assigned.
Correctional Industries Recycling Manager provides oversight of the waste recycling and composting operations which serve correctional facilities across the State.
Laundry Supervisor and Head Laundry Supervisor supervise a staff of laundry workers and ensure the effective and efficient operation of a State facility's laundry.
Conducts on-site evaluations of correctional facilities sanitation conditions and laundry operations.
- Tours each facility to determine the levels of environmental sanitation and adequacy of an integrated pest control program.
- Assists with the operation of the Environmental Services Committee to ensure the maintenance of a safe and sanitary environment.
- Provides technical assistance to establish and maintain detailed cleaning procedures for all sanitation tasks to be completed by inmates; provides training to inmates and staff in proper cleaning techniques.
- Provides technical assistance in resolving atypical infestation problems.
- Evaluates facility laundry equipment for: age and condition, preventative maintenance program, layout of equipment, wash formulas, product usage, and the use of chemical supplies and linens; provide recommendations for rehabilitation and capital construction of laundry areas.
Reports on correctional facilities evaluations.
- Prepares a written on-site facility evaluation report for each visit.
- Prepares a monthly, semi-annual, and annual report outlining visits, atypical problems, and statistical data as needed.
- Monitors monthly facility environmental services and laundry reports for prompt submissions and accuracy of detail reporting.
- Suggests revision of Departmental directives to ensure compliance with regulatory agencies; e.g., Center for Disease Control, Occupational Safety and Health Administration, and New York State Departments of Health and Environmental Conservation.
Open-Competitive: five years of progressively responsible experience in a the management of laundry and housekeeping services for a multi-unit institutional facility including: two years experience in the overall management of housekeeping services and two years experience in the overall management of laundry services.
NOTE: Classification Standards illustrate the nature, extent and scope of duties and responsibilities of the classes they describe. Standards cannot and do not include all of the work that might be appropriately performed by a class. The minimum qualifications above are those which were required for appointment at the time the Classification Standard was written. Please contact the Division of Staffing Services for current information on minimum qualification requirements for appointment or examination.