Occ. Code 4241500
SUPERVISOR PLANT OPERATIONS & MAINTENANCE, M-2
New York State Department of Civil Service
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF CLASS
Supervisors Plant Operations & Maintenance oversee and direct statewide facility physical plant and maintenance operations. Incumbents develop and implement policies, procedures, and systems to improve operating efficiencies, conserve energy, and ensure compliance with local, State, and federal laws, rules, and regulations; and supervise Plant Superintendents located in facilities throughout the State.
These positions are classified in the Office of Mental Health and the Office for People With Developmental Disabilities.
SUPERVISOR PLANT OPERATIONS & MAINTENANCE: oversees and manages statewide physical plant and maintenance operations; and supervises Plant Superintendents located in facilities throughout the State.
Plant Superintendents manage and oversee the daily operations of the physical plant/engineering and maintenance departments in State facilities.
Oversees and manages statewide facility physical plant and maintenance operations.
· Supervises Plant Superintendents located in facilities throughout the State; reassigns staff to address health and safety issues; identifies training needs, and participates in the development of training.
· Provides overall functional direction in the operation of power, water filter, and sewage treatment plants; building and grounds maintenance, repair, rehabilitation, and construction activities; and transportation maintenance, repair, and inspection.
· Develops, revises, and implements policies and procedures, including those related to preventative maintenance, work order, inventory and stores control, management reporting, inspection, and safety programs and systems.
· Conducts on-site visits to evaluate and monitor physical plant and maintenance operations; provides technical advice and recommendations to improve operating efficiencies; assesses and corrects environmental hazards and conditions; and ensures compliance with local, State, and federal laws, rules, and regulations.
· Provides technical assistance to facility staff in the development of standard service contracts and specifications; participates in contract negotiations; manages and oversees contract compliance; and resolves issues associated with the work performed by contractors.
· Assists facility staff in preparing operating equipment and capital budget requests; acts as their representative at the Central Office level; prepares and manages annual budgets; and oversees the requisition and distribution of supplies to operating personnel.
· Serves on various facility committees, such as the safety committee.
Promotion: One year of service as a Plant Superintendent A; or two years of service as a Plant Superintendent B; or three years of service as a Plant Superintendent C.
NOTE: Classification Standards illustrate the nature, extent, and scope of duties and responsibilities of the classes they describe. Standards cannot and do not include all of the work that might be appropriately performed by a class. The minimum qualifications above are those which were required for appointment at the time the Classification Standard was written. Please contact the Division of Staffing Services for current information on minimum qualification requirements for appointment or examination.