Occ. Code 5236000
MENTAL HEALTH REHABILITATION PROGRAM DIRECTOR 1, M-2
MENTAL HEALTH REHABILITATION PROGRAM DIRECTOR 2, M-5
New York State Department of Civil Service
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF CLASS SERIES
Positions in this title series plan, develop, implement, evaluate, and refine comprehensive multi-disciplinary rehabilitation programs at State operated psychiatric centers. Incumbents supervise the following rehabilitation services areas: vocational rehabilitation services; competency training services, such as communication skills, activities of daily living (ADL), cooking, maintaining oneself in the community, etc.; psycho-social support services; and residential services. The levels in the titles series are differentiated from one another for classification purposes by two factors: 1) the number of subordinate staff; and 2) the scope of their rehabilitation programs.
These positions are classified only at the Office of Mental Health (OMH). Incumbents at OMH assist in the total care of individuals receiving services. All incumbents perform various duties and functions in conjunction with the overall operation of a facility and/or location to which they are assigned.
MENTAL HEALTH REHABILITATION PROGRAM DIRECTOR 1: supervise a minimum of twenty clinical professional and paraprofessional rehabilitation staff, at least five of which must be at a professional supervisory level, in the oversight of at least two rehabilitation services areas mentioned above.
MENTAL HEALTH REHABILITATION PROGRAM DIRECTOR 2: supervise a minimum of forty clinical professional and paraprofessional rehabilitation staff, at least ten of which must be at a professional supervisory level, in the oversight of at least three rehabilitation services areas mentioned above.
Develop and establish, in coordination with facility Deputy Directors, Chiefs of Mental Health Treatment Service, executive management, and OMH Central Office officials, goals, philosophies of care, policies for a rehabilitation program, and inter-agency coordination policies for developing and delivering all rehabilitation/recovery related community support services in areas served by a psychiatric center as well as inpatient rehabilitation/recovery services.
· Draft and refine all facility rehabilitation and related community support services.
· Direct all rehabilitation activities in accordance with The Joint Commission, Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) and other governing body standards.
· Monitor rehabilitation and related community support service compliance with all federal, State, and voluntary licensing, certification and accreditation standards.
· Establish short, medium, and long range objectives for the development of rehabilitation and related community support service programs.
· Work in cooperation with public and private agencies in coordinating services and programs for recipients.
· Develop and implement various vocational programs that serve in-patient and out-patient populations.
Supervise subordinate staff.
· Provide supervision, guidance, and oversight to subordinate staff, and intervene and resolve problems as necessary.
· Determine and oversee staff assignments.
· Approve leave and track time and attendance.
· Review, monitor, and evaluate staff performance.
· Complete performance evaluations.
· Identify training needs and arrange for provision of training.
· Manage and direct program activities by setting priorities and deadlines.
· Instruct staff on intervention strategies and technologies and on the proper implementation of new procedures and policies, while identifying potential programs.
· Furnish additional information or guidance to subordinates.
· Work directly with a facilitys human resources office to ensure that staffing patterns are appropriate for the level of care provided.
· Screen and approve all personnel appointments for all management and supervisory positions within the rehabilitation services system.
Perform a variety of administrative tasks associated with the overall operations of a rehabilitation program.
· Participate in annual program reviews.
· Direct the development, implementation, and standards monitoring of all required rehabilitation, clinical, programmatic, and activity reporting protocols, pursuant to federal, State, and local laws and guidelines.
· Develop annual program budgets, monitor expenditures, and ensure that funds are spent appropriately and meet program and recipient needs.
· Direct the development, management, and interpretation of rehabilitation services statistics reporting and management of information documents.
· Write, revise, and monitor compliance with all manuals and information which include departmental goals, patient care philosophies, and all policies that govern a rehabilitation program.
· Initiate and supervise the writing of rehabilitation grant proposals for the acquisition of new or additional program necessities.
· Organize, plan, and implement trainings, conferences, and meetings for staff and recipients.
· Administer and direct all rehabilitation department affiliations.
· Work with Chiefs of Mental Health Treatment Service, Treatment Team Leaders, and Discipline Heads in developing a comprehensive active treatment schedule.
· Maintain working relationships with staff and discipline heads to develop quality programming.
· Interact with the program evaluation department in developing and completing reports, files, and all necessary documentation.
· May oversee active treatment operations, including coordinating program needs, staffing, group protocols/curriculums, and managing the logistics of program operations.
MENTAL HEALTH REHABILITATION PROGRAM DIRECTOR 1
Open Competitive: a Master's Degree in rehabilitation counseling and five years of professional experience in comprehensive mental health or mental retardation rehabilitation programs, two of which must have been administrative in nature. A doctoral degree in rehabilitation counseling may be substituted for two years of the non-administrative experience.
Promotion: one year of permanent competitive service as a Supervisor of Rehabilitation Services or a Supervisor Rehabilitation Services (Vocational).
MENTAL HEALTH REHABILITATION PROGRAM DIRECTOR 2
Open Competitive: a Master's Degree in rehabilitation counseling and seven years of professional experience in comprehensive mental health or mental retardation rehabilitation programs, three years of which must have been administrative in nature. A doctoral degree in rehabilitation counseling may be substituted for two years of the non-administrative experience.
Promotion: one year of permanent competitive service as a Mental Health Rehabilitation Program Director 1.
NOTE: Classification Standards illustrate the nature, extent and scope of duties and responsibilities of the classes they describe. Standards cannot and do not include all of the work that might be appropriately performed by a class. The minimum qualifications above are those which were required for appointment at the time the Classification Standard was written. Please contact the Division of Staffing Services for current information on minimum qualification requirements for appointment or examination.