Occ. Code 5274800
CONSOLIDATED CLINICAL LABORATORY MANAGER, M-2
New York State Department of Civil Service
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF CLASS
The Consolidated Clinical Laboratory Manager is responsible for the administration of the clinical laboratory at the Nathan S. Kline Institute for Psychiatric Research; oversees, coordinates, and manages day-to-day operations and activities; and monitors and evaluates laboratory services and systems to ensure compliance with clinical laboratory standards, operating procedures, and regulatory requirements.
This position is non-competitive and classified in the Office of Mental Health.
CONSOLIDATED CLINICAL LABORATORY MANAGER: one position class; under the general direction of the laboratory director, manages and oversees the operations and functions of the clinical laboratory at the Nathan S. Kline Institute for Psychiatric Research; and supervises the activities of medical technologists, research scientists, and clinical laboratory support staff.
Medical Technologists are clinical laboratory practitioners who perform microbiological, virological, serological, chemical, hematological, biophysical, cytogenetical, cytological, or histological procedures and tests on human tissue specimens and body fluids to provide information for the identification, diagnosis, and assessment, treatment, and/or prevention of medical conditions.
Manages clinical laboratory operations and activities, including the procurement, transport, preparation, and testing of human body tissue specimens and fluids, and the reporting of results and findings.
· Oversees, reviews, and evaluates laboratory services, reports, and systems, including the maintenance and documentation of laboratory and quality assurance activities, proficiency testing, and quality control procedures to ensure compliance with standards, operating procedures, and regulatory requirements.
· Collaborates with clinical laboratory supervisors and assistant managers to organize, manage, and coordinate laboratory activities.
· Acts as liaison with laboratory, facility, and Central Office staff to conduct laboratory business operations, and resolve medical and operational issues.
· Assists the laboratory director in the development of the annual budget, and new or modified clinical laboratory policies, procedures, and techniques.
· Oversees the maintenance and management of laboratory equipment, instrumentation, and supply inventories.
· Reviews and approves budget and purchase requests, and coordinates with vendors to meet clinical laboratory needs.
· May represent the clinical laboratory on administrative committees and workgroups, and assist regulatory inspectors.
· Supervises medical technologists, research scientists, and laboratory support staff; determines staff schedules and assignments; completes competency assessments and performance evaluations; monitors time and attendance; provides technical guidance and training; and ensures staff possess required credentials and maintain appropriate levels of continuing education.
CONSOLIDATED CLINICAL LABORATORY MANAGER
Non-Competitive: possession of a license and current registration as a Clinical Laboratory Technologist in New York State; a bachelors degree in medical technology or a related field, or in one of the chemical, physical, or biological sciences; and six years of experience as a medical technologist in a clinical laboratory, two years of which must have been in a clinical laboratory having a director at the doctoral level, and two years must have been in a supervisory capacity.
Substitution: A masters degree in any of the fields above may substitute for one year of general experience, and a doctoral degree in one of the chemical, physical, or biological sciences may substitute for two years of general experience.
NOTE: Classification Standards illustrate the nature, extent, and scope of duties and responsibilities of the classes they describe. Standards cannot and do not include all of the work that might be appropriately performed by a class. The minimum qualifications above are those which were required for appointment at the time the Classification Standard was written. Please contact the Division of Staffing Services for current information on minimum qualification requirements for appointment or examination.