Occ. Code 5546110
DEVELOPMENTAL ASSISTANT 1, GRADE 12
DEVELOPMENTAL ASSISTANT 2, GRADE 13
DEVELOPMENTAL ASSISTANT 3, GRADE 17
New York State Department of Civil Service
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF CLASS SERIES
Developmental Assistants supervise and work with other staff to motivate and attend to the personal daily living needs of individuals with intellectual and/or developmental disabilities. Incumbents are directly involved in the active treatment and habilitation of individuals; perform a variety of functions and tasks in a community-based or developmental center setting; serve as members of residential and program planning teams; and assist in the resolution of non-routine problems as they arise in the program areas under their supervision.
Developmental Assistants are classified in the Office for People With Developmental Disabilities.
DEVELOPMENTAL ASSISTANT 1: supervisory level; under the supervision of a Developmental Assistant 3, supervises a small residential program with less than six individuals.
DEVELOPMENTAL ASSISTANT 2: supervisory level; under the supervision of a Developmental Assistant 3, supervises a residential program with six or more individuals.
DEVELOPMENTAL ASSISTANT 3: second supervisory level; oversees two or more residential programs; and supervises Developmental Assistants 1 and 2, and direct care staff across shifts and sites.
Direct Support Assistants provide a wide variety of person-centered services and supports to individuals with intellectual and/or developmental disabilities, including developing daily living skills and habits; taking care of personal needs; coordinating the integration of community services; and maintaining a healthy and safe environment for individuals to achieve the highest possible level of independence in the least restrictive environment.
DEVELOPMENTAL ASSISTANT 1 AND 2
Supervises Direct Support Assistants and other direct care staff in the care, treatment, and habilitation of individuals with intellectual and/or developmental disabilities.
· Determines staff assignments and reassignments; maintains time and attendance records; completes performance evaluations; arranges for and trains staff in the implementation and documentation of services; and monitors staff activities to ensure compliance with applicable guidelines and instructions.
· Participates in the development of individual habilitation plans; implements or supervises the implementation of portions of individual habilitation plans, including activities, programs, work, and leisure times; observes individual reactions and progress; and documents and discusses observations with clinical and program staff.
· Maintains and monitors household inventories; ensures the proper use and availability of supplies and equipment; initiates requests to replace or repair furnishings; and assists or supervises routine maintenance, minor repairs, and housekeeping activities to ensure a clean, health, and safe environment.
· Manages individuals funds and related records, and assists individuals in keeping track of their personal possessions and finances.
· Provides or arranges for individuals transportation to and from recreational, social, work, school, or medical activities.
· Responds to crisis situations and medical emergencies following established guidelines, procedures, and first-aid techniques.
May assist in developing residential program budgets; advocate and communicate with parents, schools, local businesses, and/or community groups; and provide information to promote a better understanding of individuals needs.
DEVELOPMENTAL ASSISTANT 3
Performs the same duties and tasks as a Developmental Assistants 1 or 2, and:
Oversees the operations of two or more residential programs and supervises the activities of Developmental Assistants 1 and/or 2.
DEVELOPMENTAL ASSISTANT 1
Promotion: one year of service as a Direct Support Assistant (all parenthetics), Developmental Disabilities Secure Care Treatment Aide 1, or Licensed Practical Nurse, and completion of a one-year traineeship.
DEVELOPMENTAL ASSISTANT 2
Promotion: one year of service as a Developmental Assistant 1.
DEVELOPMENTAL ASSISTANT 3
Promotion: one year of service as a Developmental Assistant 2.
NOTE: Classification Standards illustrate the nature, extent, and scope of duties and responsibilities of the classes they describe. Standards cannot and do not include all of the work that might be appropriately performed by a class. The minimum qualifications above are those which were required for appointment at the time the Classification Standard was written. Please contact the Division of Staffing Services for current information on minimum qualification requirements for appointment or examination.