Occ. Code 7614000
TRACTOR TRAILER OPERATOR, GRADE 8
TANDEM TRACTOR TRAILER OPERATOR, GRADE 12
New York State Department of Civil Service
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF CLASS SERIES
Positions in this series drive large tractor trailer vehicles over-the-road on a full-time basis. The trailers may be flatbed, box or refrigerated types.
The positions are classified in several State agencies with the largest number found primarily in centralized shipping operations at the Department of Corrections and Community Supervision (DOCCS).
Tractor Trailer Operators and Tandem Tractor Trailer Operators perform similar duties. Under the general direction of a Tractor Trailer Dispatcher or other higher level staff, the positions drive tractor trailer vehicles over-the-road on a full-time basis; operate other motor vehicles as necessary; and, may supervise laborers, stores clerical, and inmate workers in loading and unloading goods. Tandem Tractor Trailer Operator is distinguished from Tractor Trailer Operator by the operation of a tractor trailer with two separate trailers hitched in tandem on a full-time basis.
Motor Vehicle Operators drive a variety of smaller vehicles such as buses, straight body trucks, passenger cars, vans, ambulances, etc. on a full-time basis. On an occasional basis, the positions may operate a tractor trailer while in possession of a Class A license.
Drive assigned tractor trailer to designated location by designated routes to deliver and/or pick up shipments of a variety of goods.
· Oversee the loading and unloading of goods at designated spots according to written instructions and to ensure balanced distribution of load.
· Adjust load to meet prescribed wheel/axle load limits.
· Assist laborer, stores clerical, and inmate workers in loading and unloading goods and, in some cases, setting up and assembling goods.
· Check goods loaded and unloaded against shipping documents, such as bills of lading, and sign documents or have receiving agents sign documents.
· Hitch trailer to tractor, second trailer to dolly in case of tandem load, and connect hoses and lines for braking and lighting systems.
· Start, stop, steer, and control vehicles over-the-road, on the grounds of State facilities and other receiving and shipping points according to applicable regulations for the type of vehicle operated.
· Monitor gauges, check fluid levels, and tire pressure during runs.
Maintain and check assigned vehicle daily prior to run.
· Check fluid levels, tire pressure, safety equipment and trailer hitches.
· Pump fuel, add water to radiator, oil to crankcase, and air to tires as required.
· Replace burned out lamp bulbs.
Maintain work, shipping, and expense records.
· Maintain daily log book of hours driven each day, stops made and time off for lunch or other non-driving time.
· Change tape or disc for tachograph records if vehicle operated is equipped with such a device.
· Keep copies of shipping documents for each shipment and turn them over to the supervisor at the end of a run.
· Maintain records of all expense and record expenses on voucher sheets.
May operate refrigerated trailers to provide frozen and cooled temperatures to transport perishable goods.
· Adjust movable insulated partitions according to load requirements.
· Load liquid nitrogen containers according to load requirements, instructions, and safety guidelines.
· Open valves to admit nitrogen into storage area and to control temperature in each area.
· After reaching destination, turn cooling system off in storage compartments to permit safe unloading.
May perform various manual tasks in and around warehouse area when not involved in delivery activities.
TRACTOR TRAILER OPERATOR
Non-competitive: possess and maintain a valid Class A Driver's License issued by the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles. Appointees will also be required to obtain and maintain any drivers license endorsements required under the New York State Department of Transportations regulations for the transportation of specific types of products in the course of their normal duties (an example of this would be a Hazardous Materials endorsement).
TANDEM TRACTOR TRAILER OPERATOR
Non-competitive: possess and maintain a valid Class A Driver's License issued by the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles, and meet requirements of the New York State Thruway Authority for tandem trailer operation. Appointees will also be required to obtain and maintain any drivers license endorsements required under the New York State Department of Transportations regulations for the transportation of specific types of products in the course of their normal duties (an example of this would be a Hazardous Materials endorsement).
NOTE: Classification Standards illustrate the nature, extent and scope of duties and responsibilities of the classes they describe. Standards cannot and do not include all of the work that might be appropriately performed by a class. The minimum qualifications above are those which were required for appointment at the time the Classification Standard was written. Please contact the Division of Staffing Services for current information on minimum qualification requirements for appointment or examination.