Tentative Classification Standards issued by the Division of Classification & Compensation are shared with the operating agencies of State government for their consideration and comment. Accordingly, this document that you are viewing is subject to change and will be issued in final form at the completion of the review period.
Occ. Code 7930200
CORRECTIONAL INDUSTRIES INSTALLATION AND REPAIR
TECHNICIAN, GRADE 12
York State Department of Civil Service
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF CLASS
Positions in this class install, repair, service, and
sell/improve Corcraft products used throughout the State. Incumbents work
directly with staff from Corcraft, Central Office, and correctional facilities,
and may supervise others (i.e., State employees, contract employees, and
inmates) in the performance of such duties.
These positions are only classified in the Department
of Correctional Services (DOCS). Incumbents at DOCS assist in the total care
and confinement of inmates sentenced to the custody of the Department. All
incumbents perform various duties and functions in conjunction with the overall
operation of a facility and/or location to which they are assigned.
CORRECTIONAL INDUSTRIES INSTALLATION AND REPAIR
TECHNICIAN: non-competitive; function
as a direct liaison and manual worker with regard to the use, dissemination,
and function of Corcraft products.
The position of Supervisor Installation and Repair is
responsible for the management, coordination, and supervision of all
Installation and Repair activities of Corcraft products. The incumbent
oversees both Correctional Industries Installation and Repair Technicians and
work release inmate laborers.
Install Corcraft products.
- Interact with customers and other Central Office
staff, to determine installation job schedules.
- Measure area of installation site, allowing for
fixtures, obstructions, etc.
- Determine most suitable type of product for
- Draw product to scale on a blueprint.
- Formalize product cost, including installation
- Supervise and assist other staff and/or inmates
in the delivery and placement of products at a job site.
- Supervise civilians and/or inmates in the
installation of Corcraft products.
- Measure and draw plans for and install filler
strips to achieve finished appearance.
- Maintain records of installation.
Repair Corcraft products.
- Interact with customers and other staff to
determine repair schedules.
- Travel to job sites to investigate complaints.
- Make on site determinations as to whether
products should be repaired or replaced and recommend action to customers
- Prepare necessary paperwork when damaged goods must
be replaced and coordinate with manufacturing facility, Central Office, Distribution Center, and purchaser for pick-up and replacement of
- Perform on-site repairs when possible.
- Arrange with manufacturing facility to have
parts made which are necessary for repairing damaged goods.
- Discuss with customers any questions or problems
which a customer might have to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Maintain records of repairs.
Service all Corcraft products.
- Contact customers to ensure products are in
proper working condition.
- Maintain products either routinely or on an as
needed basis when contacted by a customer.
- Interact with supervisors and customers to
arrange schedule for service.
- Maintain records of services provided to
- Interact with customers via telephone and
resolve any problems or questions that customers might have.
- Refer customers to supervisors for resolution of
Sell and improve Corcraft products, and perform
special projects when needed.
- Stay abreast of new products, changes in
products, prices, descriptions, sales techniques, etc. to assist in the
sales and improvement of Corcraft products.
- In the course of making repairs, installations
and/or servicing Corcraft products, note any weaknesses or defects in
products and make recommendations to improve such products.
- During the course of servicing, repairing, or
installing Corcraft products, suggest to customers additional or new
products which they might need and take orders, or for major orders,
interact with sales staff by putting them in touch with potential
May supervise others in the installation and repair
of Corcraft products.
- Determine staff assignments and priorities;
review, monitor, and evaluate staff and work products; approve leave,
track time and attendance, and participate in performance evaluations; and
Open Competitive: one year of experience in the installation and repair of products
similar to those sold by Corcraft, and one year of experience involving direct
sales to commercial purchasers. A Bachelors Degree in marketing or sales may
be substituted for the one year of sales experience.
NOTE: Classification Standards illustrate the nature,
extent and scope of duties and responsibilities of the classes they describe.
Standards cannot and do not include all of the work that might be appropriately
performed by a class. The minimum qualifications above are those which were
required for appointment at the time the Classification Standard was written.
Please contact the Division of Staffing Services for current information on
minimum qualification requirements for appointment or examination.