Occ. Code 8115600
RESIDENTIAL PROGRAM SPECIALIST, GRADE 16
New York State Department of Civil Service
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF CLASS
Residential Program Specialists provide services to individuals diagnosed with mental illness residing in state operated community residences and state operated residential care centers for adults. Under the general direction of a Residential Program Manager, incumbents serve as the lead over residential program and direct care staff; coordinate resident intakes and admissions; and plan and implement rehabilitative program services. All Residential Program Specialists assist in the total care of patients and perform various duties and functions in conjunction with the overall operation of a facility and/or location to which they are assigned.
These positions are classified in State Operated Community Residences and State Operated Residential Care Centers for Adults of the Office of Mental Health (OMH).
RESIDENTIAL PROGRAM SPECIALIST: full performance level; oversees services provided to ensure the health, care, and safety of individuals residing in State Operated Community Residence or State Operated Residential Care Center for Adults; monitors, assesses, and cares for residents; provides intake, admissions, and discharge programs; coordinates services with clinical teams; participates in clinical treatment planning and the development of individual resident service plans; and supervises lower level residential program and direct care staff.
Residential Program Assistants oversee the care of residents and maintain a safe and therapeutic environment within state operated community residences and state operated residential care centers for adults.
Residential Program Managers oversee and manage the overall operation of state operated residences and the rehabilitative program services provided by residence staff; supervise, coordinate, and direct the activities of clinical and direct care staff; respond to crisis situations and emergencies; and serve as a liaison with the community.
· Assess referrals for residential placement; complete screenings, perform chart reviews, interview potential residents, arrange for visits, and conduct and document self-preservation tests to ensure potential resident safety.
· Coordinate resident intakes and admissions; complete required documentation and ensure completion of progress notes to develop initial service plans.
· Provides counseling to residents in the use of appropriate coping and living skills to assist residents to remain stable and in recovery from a mental health perspective.
· Provide behavioral and crisis interventions as necessary; attend community treatment meetings with residents; and assist residents in navigating the social services system.
· Maintain positive community relationships with neighbors, the business community, and other service providers.
· Communicate with the Patient Resource Office, the Business Office, Plant Facilities, and Social Workers to assist the Residential Program Manager in maintaining necessary relationships with psychiatric center staff.
Provide leadership in the planning and implementation of rehabilitation programs.
· Develop admissions and discharge planning programs to ensure continuity of patient care.
· Participate in the development of individual service plans, with support and assistance from staff to maximize resident independence.
· Assess community resources and supports to ensure the safe and successful reintegration of residents into the community.
· Coordinate services with clinical teams and participate in clinical treatment planning.
· Review resident charts to ensure that service and treatment plans are followed appropriately; assist and monitor resident progress towards recovery goals.
· Ensure residents receive daily services including medical care services, financial advocacy, educational services, resident support services, leisure time activities, and restorative services, as designated by individual resident treatment plans.
· Complete discharge plans and termination summaries; notify appropriate clinics to ensure that residents receive the necessary care to remain in the community.
· Transport residents to new residential settings and ensure medication supply.
· Review the physical environment of a residence and submit appropriate requests for supplies, equipment, and services to the Residential Program Manager to ensure the health, safety, and well-being of residents.
Supervise and oversee the activities of residential program and direct care staff assigned to a residence.
· May serve as an assistant to the Residential Program Manager and as the manager of a residence in his/her absence.
· Oversee staff assignments and reassignments; evaluate performance, monitor time and attendance, and approve the use of overtime.
· Schedule resident activities and supervision to ensure adequate staffing levels are met.
· Identify training needs; provide and arrange for residential staff training.
· In coordination with the Residential Program Manager, conduct admission committee meetings and residential meetings to coordinate resident safety, care, and training activities.
Promotion: a bachelors degree or license and current registration to practice as a Registered Nurse in New York State and one year of permanent competitive service as a Residential Program Assistant 2, or two years of permanent competitive service as a Residential Program Assistant 1.
Open Competitive: a bachelor's degree, or a license and current registration to practice as a Registered Nurse in New York State, and two years of experience working with individuals diagnosed with mental illness.
Substitution: a master's degree in a health or human services area may be substituted for one year of the above experience.
NOTE: Classification Standards illustrate the nature, extent, and scope of duties and responsibilities of the classes they describe. Standards cannot and do not include all of the work that might be appropriately performed by a class. The minimum qualifications above are those which were required for appointment at the time the Classification Standard was written. Please contact the Division of Staffing Services for current information on minimum qualification requirements for appointment or examination.