Occ. Code 8120100
PROGRAM OUTREACH SPECIALIST 1, GRADE 18
PROGRAM OUTREACH SPECIALIST 2, GRADE 23
New York State Department of Civil Service
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF CLASS SERIES
Program Outreach Specialists perform various professional duties related to publicizing and increasing participation in the various programs and services offered by New York State. These positions currently are located in the Office of Victim Services (OVS); the Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance (OTDA); the Office for People with Developmental Disabilities (OPWDD); and the Workers Compensation Board (WCB).
PROGRAM OUTREACH SPECIALIST 1: Typically under the direction of a Program Outreach Specialist 2 or higher level program or agency administrative staff, these positions are responsible for assisting in the implementation, ongoing conduct, and evaluation of outreach and public relations efforts to publicize agency programs and increase the participation in those programs.
PROGRAM OUTREACH SPECIALIST 2: Typically under the direction of higher level program or agency administrative staff, these positions assist in the planning and development of outreach and public relations efforts to publicize agency programs and increase the participation in those programs; and supervise subordinates also involved in such an effort.
Public Information Specialists and Senior Public Information Specialists are engaged in the preparation, writing, and editing of written and other informational and public relations materials, and dissemination of informational and public relations materials through various media (including newspapers, radio, television, motion pictures, periodicals and State publications), concerning the program and activities of a State agency. The major objective of such activity is to convey this information to the general public and to other relevant audiences, including professional, trade, or other specialized groups. These positions are classified in various State agencies.
PROGRAM OUTREACH SPECIALIST 1
Typically reporting to a Program Outreach Specialist 2 or to higher-level program or agency administrative staff, perform various professional duties in implementing, developing, and evaluating outreach and public relations efforts relating to State programs.
· Maintain ongoing communications with business and community associations and groups to publicize agency programs.
· Seek to ensure support and cooperation in carrying out the various programs.
· Provide on-site training and technical assistance to local districts and providers in advertising outreach methodologies and programs.
· Assist higher level Program Outreach Specialists or other higher-level staff in the development of various public relations efforts to raise interest and encourage participation in the various programs.
· Directly work with advertising agencies to ensure contract provisions are being complied with.
· Evaluate ongoing advertising campaigns to determine that project standards are being met or may be met.
· Conduct special conferences and workshops to explain and publicize the program at issue.
· Assist in the design, development, and implementation of evaluation devices to determine the effectiveness of outreach activities.
· Perform other duties as required.
PROGRAM OUTREACH SPECIALIST 2
Typically reporting to higher-level program or agency administrative staff, perform higher-level professional and supervisory duties in developing, evaluating, and implementing outreach and public relations efforts relating to State programs. Supervise subordinates who also are engaged in such efforts.
· Perform duties associated with Program Outreach Specialists 1, but at a higher level of independence and responsibility.
· Participate in the development and dissemination of training curricula, informational materials, and publicity materials, for various audiences, to publicize programs and induce participation.
· Assist other staff in the development of contracts with advertising agencies to conduct specialized publicity activities.
· Supervise advertising campaigns to ensure contractual obligations are met.
· Design reporting and data collection instruments for reporting on business community outreach activities.
· Monitor business community outreach activities at the State and local level.
· Design and develop special conferences and workshops to explain and publicize programs and to secure participation from the business community.
· Supervise subordinates, including setting priorities, assigning work, and evaluating performance.
PROGRAM OUTREACH SPECIALIST 1
Open/Competitive: six years of professional experience in a position where the primary responsibility was the large-scale promotion and representation of programs and services to public and/or private organizations or the general public for the purpose of increasing participation in, or utilization of, these programs and services.
PROGRAM OUTREACH SPECIALIST 2
Open/Competitive: seven years of professional experience in a position where the primary responsibility was the large scale promotion and representation of programs and services to public and/or private organizations or the general public for the purpose of increasing participation in, or utilization of, these programs and services.
Promotion: one year as a Program Outreach Specialist 1.
NOTE: Classification Standards illustrate the nature, extent, and scope of duties and responsibilities of the classes they describe. Standards cannot and do not include all of the work that might be appropriately performed by a class. The minimum qualifications above are those which were required for appointment at the time the Classification Standard was written. Please contact the Division of Staffing Services for current information on minimum qualification requirements for appointment or examination.