Occ. Code 8122800
assistant director of correctional guidance, m-1
New York State Department of Civil Service
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF CLASS
The one position in this class assists the Director of Correctional Guidance in the design and implementation of policy regarding guidance activities pursued by the Department of Correctional Services (DOCS) and engages in management activities necessary to ensure that guidance programs are effectively administered within departmental facilities. The incumbent reviews existing policy and programs with an aim toward improvement or correction; develops new or improved program plans, procedures or policies; reviews new programs and the implementation of policies at the facility level, in order to determine areas of deficiency and appropriate corrective actions; and assumes the overall management of the Division of Correctional Guidance in the absence of the Director.
This position is only classified at DOCS. All incumbents at DOCS assist in the total care and confinement of inmates, sentenced to the custody of the Department and perform various duties and functions in conjunction with the overall operation of a facility and/or location to which they are assigned.
assistant director of correctional guidance: management position; responsible for guidance policy, activities, and programs pursued by DOCS at its facilities.
Assistant Director Correctional Vocational Services plans, develops, implements, and administers vocational education programs, policies, and procedures. The incumbent of this position is responsible for facility visits, program effectiveness, curriculum development, technical assistance, shop and equipment changes, recruitment, training, performance evaluations, budget requests, volunteer programs, and overseeing staff and programs at facilities. All incumbents perform various duties and functions in conjunction with the overall operation of a facility and/or location to which they are assigned.
Reviews existing policy and programs with an aim toward improvement or correction.
· Reviews reports prepared by correctional facilities guidance personnel and information developed by the Division of Records and Statistics in order to gain information and insight as to the effectiveness of correctional guidance programs.
· Conducts periodic site visits of correctional facilities and discusses with both staff and inmates the effectiveness of programs, existing problems and suggestions for program improvement.
· On a scheduled basis, provides the Director of Correctional Guidance with an overview of Department-wide guidance activities, with particular attention directed towards problem areas.
· Recommends projects to be undertaken to correct deficiencies or to improve or expand programs.
Develops new or improved program plans, procedures or policies.
· Reviews existing programs against state-of-the-art guidance within other jurisdictions and systems in order to determine potential solutions to existing problems and/or develop plans for the overall improvement of programs.
· Develops revised policy and procedures or methods for program expansion or new program introduction.
Reviews new programs and the implementation of policies at the facility level, in order to determine areas of deficiency and appropriate corrective actions.
· Reviews information retrieved from facilities to determine problem areas.
· Visits facilities and assesses the effectiveness of new program or policy on overall facility operations.
· Identifies specific problem areas and recommends modifications in operations or policy as appropriate in order to correct problems.
· Implements corrective actions.
· Performs the duties of the Director of Correctional Guidance in the event of his/her absence.
· Works in collaboration with other divisions within the agency as well as with other agencies concerned with reentry and counseling projects.
Promotion: one year of permanent competitive service as a Supervising Correction Counselor, with or without parenthetics, Correction Classification Analyst, with or without parenthetics, or as a Correctional Services Guidance Specialist, with or without parenthetics.
NOTE: Classification Standards illustrate the nature, extent and scope of duties and responsibilities of the classes they describe. Standards cannot and do not include all of the work that might be appropriately performed by a class. The minimum qualifications above are those which were required for appointment at the time the Classification Standard was written. Please contact the Division of Staffing Services for current information on minimum qualification requirements for appointment or examination.